Any good basslines exclusively from Prog or 80's bands?

im looking for full songs of medium diffuculty: ie: I tried Scarified, but its just a little fast for my right hand, but the left hand can handle it... Most of that was 16ths at 140ish, so im thinking, anything good proggish with 8ths around 240 or 16ths at 120? within 20 bpm of that is fine.

So songs like Scarified are kinda what i'd like, i also like Heart of the Sunrise, and YYZ is still a bit too hard for me... ok quite a bit too hard for some reason i find learning a song a lot harder than just fast playing, which i can do no problem with improv lol.

So some bands i'd like to play from, but not limited to these: Yes, Rush, Queen, Racer X, and anything like that.
if you fancy your hand at trying some pick lines, try some gnr, duffs lines are all pretty good and of a medium difficulty imo.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
If you're into Queen, obviously Another One Bites The Dust and Invisible Man.

But then again AOBTD is easy as 1,2,3. I got it in 3 mins without a tab when a friend brought his bass over, and I play guitar.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
hmm prog, dream theater?
6 string mainly but i guess he doesnt use the c THAT much or it could be manipulated in some way.
i think i could handle SOME dearm theater.

i do want to challenge myself tho, so yeah, go ahead and recommend.

And yeah i learned AOBTD by ear in a few mins. fun tho
Distant Early Warning - Rush

[/thread]
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Oh and GnR does seem fun, but...

any songs where they DONT tune to Eb standard that are good?

im kinda pissed after learning Sweet child is in Eb.
Quote by mangablade
Oh and GnR does seem fun, but...

any songs where they DONT tune to Eb standard that are good?

im kinda pissed after learning Sweet child is in Eb.

well technically, every song of theirs is in half step down tuning. but most tabs you find are for the songs in standard, so bleh.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
For Queen try A Kind Of Magic and Invisble Man, I havne't tried myself, but they seem moderatly difficult, then again, i'm rather crap.
from Dream Theater the song "Take the time" (Images and Words, '92) can be a nice one too. not that hard... er... mostly and is played on 5 strings
"Stream of consciousness" (Train of Thought '03) is also a nice one, almosteasy
the "As I Am" only requires the 6th string at the intro, but playable on 5. (advice: tune to CEADG for that song)

good luck
You could try 'Sound Chaser' by Yes, but it is probably as hard or harder than Heart of the Sunrise (great song btw!). Maybe you could also try 'Gates of Delirium' or 'Roundabout', 'Tempus Fugit' too - there is so much good stuff from Chris Squire out there. You might also like to try '21st Century Schizoid Man' by King Crimson which had Greg Lake playing bass from memory.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Aug 3, 2006,