Ok I have this guitar....
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=1272
I've been saving up and playing this as standard I really like the maple neck and its a nice guitar as standard but its to hollow sounding.
I quite like it, its sounds very nice but Its a cheap guitar that I would like to fit a few things to because I've never built or customized a guitar before, I've bought a Floyd Rose chrome bridge for it and a new hum bucker and a single coil hum bucker for middle and bridge obviously.
Just wondering if you have any advice for me as I've never fitted a Floyd Rose and just wondering what problems I might run into?

And What else you think I sould do to it?

Thanks Alot!
That Floyd Rose is gonna be a bitch to get in...if you've never done it before you might wanna take it to a shop cuz you're gonna have to cut out a cavity in the back of the body

edit: Nvrmind I didnt see it already has a cavity from the other trem...
Quote by King ofKumbucha
That Floyd Rose is gonna be a bitch to get in...if you've never done it before you might wanna take it to a shop cuz you're gonna have to cut out a cavity in the back of the body

edit: Nvrmind I didnt see it already has a cavity from the other trem...

Kool If I have any cutting to do I'll be ok becuase I have a workshop guy who has done it all before, its just hes away for 6 weeks lol.

Just wondering I have a soldering Iron but I think its a little to heavy I think I need a 15Watt soldering Iron what other tools might I need so I don't burn anything out like pot or a swich.
its hollow sounding because of the swiming pool route. o know i got the same guitar. ive always wanted to insert some mohogany blocks (or any tone wood for that matter) into the gaps. that should beef it up.

while your at it install a coil spilt switch, new knobs wont go astray either coz them plastic ones a dodge
Quote by amadeus_who
its hollow sounding because of the swiming pool route. o know i got the same guitar. ive always wanted to insert some mohogany blocks (or any tone wood for that matter) into the gaps. that should beef it up.

while your at it install a coil spilt switch, new knobs wont go astray either coz them plastic ones a dodge

I know this will sound n00bish but i've herd of these coil spliters but would someone tell me the difference that they make? from what I gather I get more pickup options.

I came up with a crazy idear of fitting a Ibanez tube screamer internaly into the guitar, and drilling a small hole into the scratch plate to make the switch.
But I don't think it will fit lol.
no floyd route will be a beast to put in, you still need to drill in the holes for the posts and probably route some more out to make way.

And as for it sounding hollow because of the swimming pool route. I doubt so, thats like 15cm/squared of space lost. Its probably because it is made out of light alder, not denser mahogany.
Quote by slashnmash
And as for it sounding hollow because of the swimming pool route. I doubt so, thats like 15cm/squared of space lost. Its probably because it is made out of light alder, not denser mahogany.

From what I have heard it does affect the sound, and it makes the strings have more resonance and a bit more of a glassy tone IIRC. It was quite a while ago when I read this though.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
id say it is the route that makes it hollow sounding because in mine (allbeit a 97 pacifica 112) taping on the pg makes a slightly echoy niose as dose moving the pickup selector. but i did have a thought about the mohogany inserts i mentioned but i could be way off, wouldnt the density of the different woods (alder to mohogany) expand at different rates and come loose or cause the body to split...

im jsut guessing there, and watch you dont do all this and then get major fret ware like mine which makes it all useless coz pacifica necks a rare as bro (i wish i had a maple f/b)

should be a good mod with the floyd... esp for metal with the fast neck and all (very iron maiden)
Quote by amadeus_who
id say it is the route that makes it hollow sounding because in mine (allbeit a 97 pacifica 112) taping on the pg makes a slightly echoy niose as dose moving the pickup selector. but i did have a thought about the mohogany inserts i mentioned but i could be way off, wouldnt the density of the different woods (alder to mohogany) expand at different rates and come loose or cause the body to split...

im jsut guessing there, and watch you dont do all this and then get major fret ware like mine which makes it all useless coz pacifica necks a rare as bro (i wish i had a maple f/b)

should be a good mod with the floyd... esp for metal with the fast neck and all (very iron maiden)

I was thinking of fret wear it should be ok, When I add the new pickups and the FR trem it should be very metal I like the Iron maden Sound so I'll have another good sounding recording guitar.

I'll Post some pictures and let you know my results as soon as I get the Parts.
I'll post some sounds to.
my pac112 has crazy fret wear, so watch that. change the knobs man makes so much difference make em chrome to match the floyd (done on mine looks 1000% better) keep us posted about the progress bro
Quote by amadeus_who
my pac112 has crazy fret wear, so watch that. change the knobs man makes so much difference make em chrome to match the floyd (done on mine looks 1000% better) keep us posted about the progress bro

I was thinking of getting some chrome locking nuts for it, Ok I got the parts I have to drill the two holes for the posts like mentioned before.

I'm going to start with the electrics I've never done any of this before I've looked at them fitted them but not soldered in yet, I Know how the original pickups work but I have a extra black wire I'm assuming its a ground I was just wondering were to put it as the ground that is fitted its soldered to the spring tension thing at the back, so should I tape it off or solder it some were?.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Ok I've soldered the pickups in I?m going to run the extra black wire onto the bottom of the earth wire that already on there, then solder that one to the tension thingy at the back. I'll post some pictures tomorrow just to get your advice to see if I?ve done it right otherwise I might get fried lol.

I?ve also got to mod the scratch plate as the Floyd Rose is slightly to big for it but otherwise its going really well I don?t need to cut away any of the cavity it fit great.
The only big work it drilling the holes for the Floyd Rose. I should be finished in a couple of days.
you have to ground that wire or it wont work, or will be really static-y one or the other.

with the floyd i think the reason you have to route it out more is so you can change the pitch up and down... i think if you dont route it only acts like a traditional trem (only pitching down)

and get a new pick guard... coz that one will warp in the heat over time... so you may as well get a crazy pickguard
Quote by amadeus_who
you have to ground that wire or it wont work, or will be really static-y one or the other.

with the floyd i think the reason you have to route it out more is so you can change the pitch up and down... i think if you dont route it only acts like a traditional trem (only pitching down)

and get a new pick guard... coz that one will warp in the heat over time... so you may as well get a crazy pickguard

Yea I'll get one made at work today, just wondering if I can fit the neck locking peace that comes with the FR? If so how the hell do I do it lol? this bit thats on the Les Paul...

http://www.machinehead.co.uk/images/workshop/gibson_lpclas_floyd.jpg

the bit at the top near the tuning pegs if your not sure what im on about lol.

thanks everyone
Quote by Cloudkill
Yea I'll get one made at work today, just wondering if I can fit the neck locking peace that comes with the FR? If so how the hell do I do it lol? this bit thats on the Les Paul...

http://www.machinehead.co.uk/images/workshop/gibson_lpclas_floyd.jpg

the bit at the top near the tuning pegs if your not sure what im on about lol.

thanks everyone

you mean the locking nut? well you're going to have to take out a section of the fretboard, basically you just extend the gap made with the original nut to accomadate for the larger locking nut, plus i think you will have to drill 2 hols for the screws for it. i swear there is a tutorial on project guitar or something???