Hi... i'v just bought an acoustic guitar...solid mahogany top, back and sides..
what's the best way to keep it? should i hang it up? or should i keep it in the case?

thanks for the help...
Case is for optimal protection, hang up makes it easier to get to, because gonig into the case every time can get annoying.

Your choice really.
i hang mine up, however mine is only a solid top Fender. I think keeping guitars that are easy to access makes you play them more often, and if your like me, i get a few spare minutes here and there and i fill them by playing ... eg before school, before bed etc.

It shouldnt cause any harm to the guitar, as long as it doesnt swing and hit the wall. If your area has a high humidity it may cause some issues.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
I keep my guitar in the case at night and when I'm not home, but during the day like right now, it's laying on my bed so I can just pick it up and play.

Solid mahogany? Martin D-15? Man I would love to have a guitar like that..
as bad as it sounds, i just leave my guitar around, leaning against desks or chairs or whatever. but don't listen to me, i'm a bad at looking after guitars!
The best thing for the guitar is to hang on a wall, if possible in a bracket, holder thingy:P, but it should be an inner wall in the house, not an outer because of moisture and temp. changes.
It's also important that it dosn't hang in direct sunlight
Alhambra 3C Acoustic nylon guitar
w\ D'addario Pro Arte Composites Extra hard tension
Walden Natura G639CE
Quote by MeylokK
as bad as it sounds, i just leave my guitar around, leaning against desks or chairs or whatever. but don't listen to me, i'm a bad at looking after guitars!

Wont that warp the neck if you just lean it aginst stuff...like a pool stick?
Keep it in the case. Sheesh. Its not that difficult to open and close a case.
Quote by GsKoRn1
Wont that warp the neck if you just lean it aginst stuff...like a pool stick?

i dont think so, my dad's had this guitar since the 70's and its been left lying around the house all my life and it isn't warped.
Quote by Brother_In_Arms
Case is for optimal protection, hang up makes it easier to get to, because gonig into the case every time can get annoying.

Your choice really.

yes it is...
I find I play way more often if I can just pick it up and play, rather than opening a case. It's a mind thing, not a physical 'Good lord how will my poor spine cope with opening this damn guitar case?"
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Will keeping it in te case constantly keep it from aging properly? Because older acoustic guitars sound great. I have this guitar thats about 10 years old and it only cost about 50 dollarse. It was kept in terrible condition, and also has a hole in its side but it sounds great.

I always though it was because it aged or something.

And now I have a really nice Fender acoustic, and I'm worried that by keeping it in the case all the time won't allow it to age or something.

damn I'm paranoid.
Catcher In The Rye Is One Of The Best Books Ever Club

member #1 of the jim belushi club
We had a thread about this not 2 ling ago some 1 said tht hangin up ur guitar is better b/c the wood can "breathe"

hope ive been some help
Quote by IndianRockStar
EXACTLY!!! We should join together to form a vendetta against vocalists. Or trianglists.

Let's get em lol.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by Jdtx76033
We had a thread about this not 2 ling ago some 1 said tht hangin up ur guitar is better b/c the wood can "breathe"

Yeah, also, putting some speakers in front of it and playing music straight at the guitar helps as well. It "teaches" the wood to resonate better/ gets it used to being played.
I lean mine against my music rooms computer desk(the computer desk i'm on now) and at night i put it in the case.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

^ i do the same and mine is fine...It has fallen a couple of times and the neck has 3 lil nicks but its still fine