It's used to make the guitar go "wah-wah." Think the intro to Voodoo Child by Hendrix, where it goes "wah wah wah." That's what the wah pedal does.
Oh crap!
so its not the same sound as what the tremelo bar makes right? i havent heard many modern bands use it though..
No it's not the same..

It literally makes a wah wah sound, when you rock the pedal back and forth. It is used by modern bands, I suppose by a lesser degree, but check out a Metallica solo (more or less any of them lol ) and you'll get the idea.
There is poetry in despair.
Well check out Vai's stuff.
Promise us one thing though, when you do wah, make sure you pull 'the face'

For example

^although not using wah, you get the idea.

A Wah wah lower's and raise's your guitars treble. Doing this creates the wah wah effect.

It is a pedel where you raise your foot or lower your foot. Depending on how low or high you go, your sound will change.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
And if you palm mute or scratch with the wah you can make it go "wakachika", as in the first few seconds of Voodoo Child.
or the mighty mr brownstone

That one last shot's a Permanent Vacation
And how high can you fly with broken wings?
Life's a journey not a destination
And I just can't tell just what tomorrow brings

For info how to join the team PM Bombtrack
Quote by the_crimison
so its not the same sound as what the tremelo bar makes right? i havent heard many modern bands use it though..

And to be completely correct, its actually a vibrato bar. (Leo Fender F'd up)
Tremolo= alternation in volume
Vibrato= alternation in pitch
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music