ok, here i want to ask someone proffessional or well experienced in the aspect of picking...

it is about between alternate picking or economic picking, firstly look at this

an example:

e--------------------------------
B-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5--------
G--7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-------
D--------------------------------
A--------------------------------
E--------------------------------

so how well you can play this very fast, using alternate picking or economic picking?
i found playing using alternate picking is lot easier and pick double faster than economic in some situation...

If alternate picking:
u : pick upward
d : pick downward

e--------------------------------------------
B-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u--------
G--7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-------
D--------------------------------------------
A--------------------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------

this alternate pick use less wrist motion

if economic picking:

B-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d-5d--------
G--7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-7u-------

and i found this picking style use lot of wrist motion...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear many theory say that economic picking can 'economize' your picking and reduce seconds to pick from string to string. In other words, economic picking take the shortest way to go from string to string.

So, utill now i am so confuse either to use economic or alternate.. I dont want to build a bad habit so if someone can really help me.. i will apreciate it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and is playing lot with alternate picking will develope a bad habit?
thank you so much for someone helping me, by the way i am trying to play solo to sweet child o mine (the fast part)...

and sorry if some my writing puzzling you...
Last edited by LrIeYhAmNiA at Aug 2, 2006,
why would you pick upwards for the 5 if it comes before the 7 on a lower string and thing pick down on the 7

your stroke would be going up why pass the string and then pass over it again? that's way more work

In my opinion (and I'm no expert so feel free to correct me on this) the best way to pick it would be to put the pick in between the two strings down pick the 5s and up pick the 7s
or on secound thought would it be best to use an upstroke on the first 5 and then down strokes for the rest of it?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
ifeastonbums,

sorry because i am not complete the thread yet after you finish reply.

so now you can read back my thread... and answer back.
sorry knew you weren't done earlier but I didn't want you to write your article all wrong if you had made a mistake while typing it looks better now though

and when i first started to learn to pick properly I would sit and figure out which way used the least amount of motion, that's potentally the fastest way to play things it may seem akward and slower at first but once you get used to picking certian ways it will come better and you won't get stuck in a rut

You can only pick so fast in every direction and in every way, the easiest natural way to pick is downstrokes. So if you see a pattern with five notes all on the same string the quickest way to pick it for some one who hasn't played guitar very much would be all down strokes. but that doesn't mean that it's the best way to do it. It takes time to develop proper technique.

Really to summerize all of that is just play whatever requires the least motion it may be slow at first but when you work on it, it will be the fastest way you can play it

hope that answered your question
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Last edited by ifeastonbums at Aug 2, 2006,
ok lets say if you are playing this on 16 beat on 150 bpm, because i found alternate pick is more easy...
they're just styles, a matter of taste almost, but in your case use alternate picking, because it just makes sence, doesn't it? and don't worry if you're not using "economic" picking for that tab, because that wouldn't be... wise, and like you said, economic is good for string skipping, going between the G and B strings barely counts as skipping, i may be wrong, but not at all i think.

both are good techniques, you have the luck of getting everyones input on this from experience, some of these chaps have been playing for years and years and will agree, alt pick that thing is better, and use eco somehwere else
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
thank you for the answer, i hope this would not develop a bad habit. Anyway, i will rather choose alternate picking.
You have to use what makes sense to a given situation and how you want the
notes to sound dynamically.

In the example you gave, using economy picking is probably not the best approach
if you want to play those 2 notes as fast as possible. Why? Well, after doing
the 2 u/d strokes your pick has to move back over TWO strings to get ready to
play the next note. That would not be very efficient.

The other examples you gave basically show outside vs inside picking. Again,
which you'd use would be determined by the situation. You really should learn
both ways really well.
it looks to me like both examples are using alternate picking.

with economy picking you pick in the same direction whenever you change strings.

i.e. note on B string upstroke , next note on G string upstroke.

that's the way I understood it . alternate picking , except when picking to another string ,

then you pick in the same direction.
That's inside and outside picking. Practice, and become proficient at both styles so that you can play smoothly in whatever situation.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Quote by LrIeYhAmNiA

If alternate picking:
u : pick upward
d : pick downward

B-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u-5u--------
G--7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-7d-------

In John Petrucci's rock disciplin he talks about that. He says that its better to go up down up down up down because it makes you no get stuck pickipng inside of the string and so thats what I do. Sorry if that doesn't help.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
It's actually both alternate picking because you still alternate. The idea about economy is more that you hit two strings with one stroke when possible. Inside picking is harder than outside but in most playing situations you need both so the one you have the most trouble with will determine your speed. Inside picking is a really important technique to work on if you want to alternate and economy pick with accuracy.