My friend's getting a bass and an amp, and the 100W SS Carlsbro amp he was looking at got sold. So now he can buy a Fender Rumble 60 (also SS, I think) or keep looking.

Will the 60 SS watts get drowned out by other instruments? Namely the drummer and me, when I get a 40W tube combo for my guitar?
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Are you sure? I played with another bassist before, and he had some crap 60W amp, and he had to crank it to get heard over my 15 watt SS! Not only that, his sound got distorted. But I think that's more to the speaker than the amp itself.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
personally, I think if your gigging small-medium venues, and practicing you need at least 300 watts. he should look some ashdown combos. as those are the best quality for the price.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
What price are we talking here? He has about 600$ for the amp. And do you have any other suggestions? I'm not too sure that I've seen Ashdowns here, I live in Croatia.

EDIT:

Okay I found a store here that carries Ashdowns, but I'm not too sure he can afford any of them. Thanks for your help, though, keep the suggestions coming!

Oh yes, and he wants a GN'R sorta tone, you know, the boomy bass sound, instead of the muddy, pop-less sound.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at Aug 2, 2006,
well I have a very similar gnr sound with my amp and EQ. and I use ashdown,
the MAG410 combo to be specific, it cost me £390 which is rougly $730 I think..
however it will be most certainly work the extra.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Yeah, but the problem is that his budget isn't very flexible.

EDIT:

MAGC410T?

That costs close to 900$ here, so that's out of the question.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
well i reccomend you stick with ashdowns, maybe the 2x10 combo instead, i'm not sure how muchc heaper it is though.

EDIT: yeah, that amp. that's the one I have..
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2

This is the cheapest Ashdown the store carries. Costs a lil' lower than 700. Will have to go down the store and check their gear out and haggle some. Thanks for the help man!
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
At one of our first gigs, back when I was a working musician, lo those many years ago, we were doing a soundcheck. None of us had very much outside-the-living-room experience, and our bassist could not be heard. I remember he had a Peavey rig, I just don't remember which one. (this was c. 1988 or so). Finally, after trying everything we knew, we took the preamp out and ran it straight into the mixing board and holy sh*t you have never heard so much bass. I think we were the bassiest act in town.

I am not saying this is what you should do, I am just saying that it worked great for us. We called it "bass all over the place" and we did it at every gig after that.
Remember most venues should have a PA and take a line-out from your amp. The only bass you need to worry about in that case is your monitoring. And even though you will be standing right next to it, you need to think you will have two guitar amps blaring (or maybe just one), the drummer, and the noise from the output of the PA. I gor with Forcemaster, 300w minimum for gigging i reckon !
Quote by OneHappyCamper

This is the cheapest Ashdown the store carries. Costs a lil' lower than 700. Will have to go down the store and check their gear out and haggle some. Thanks for the help man!

yeah, i'm sure you can haggle maybe $50 off it, i managed it go for it if you get it though. Just remember ashdowns are very deep amps to begin with and the 1x15 maybe very boomy. but i'm sure with some EQ tweaking you could sort it out.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Noomz
no it won't

+1

60w can play with a drummer, if its a good make (peavey, laney etc) not "Starfire" etc...

EDIT: You're getting a 40w all tube combo? Thats gonna be ****TING loud!
Last edited by FunkyO_49 at Aug 2, 2006,
Quote by FunkyO_49
Thats gonna be ****TING loud!

That's what it's all about
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Quote by FunkyO_49
EDIT: You're getting a 40w all tube combo? Thats gonna be ****TING loud!

40 Watts is loud?
40 watts tube for a guitar, yea.

i have a 120 watt JSX (tube) and it drowns out my bass stack (1000 watts, 1x18, 4x10)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Scourge441
40 Watts is loud?
A decent 40 watt all tube/valve ie(Matamp) will keep up with anything up to 300 watts solid state!
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
i have a little 30-watt crate and it's loud enough to keep up with drums sitting right next to it, and 2 guitars... i turn it all the way up for shows, but they're in small/medium venues, no distortion... so just get like a 50-100 watt peavy or crate, and make sure the bassist fixes his eq to get the sound he wants.
bananabananabanana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta *pie*

Quote by Bmm386
I think they should make a GTA paris in like 1795.
Your only goal is to feed your family and keep your horse alive.

Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
it hit the twin towers, not the pentagon, idiot