just wondering, does anyone feel like they're being held back from being a better guitarist because they cant afford any decent gear? e.g. guitars, amps, pedals etc.
prices are so high these days- way out of reach of any normal teenager!

anyone else?
If you want to play some emo music, I recommend using these settings:
Gain:0
Bass:0
Mid:0
Treble:0
Presence:0
Master Volume:0
No not really its not the gear its the playa. A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. Just look at those Esteban guitars they sell on tv.
i understand that, but if your in a band, and u wana make a noise, and u know ur stuff but dont have the right equipment to do it- thats where im frustrated
Deliver papers. Nothing in life comes free. Playing guitar is expensive and you do need a decent guitar and a half stack to basically be able to play a show. Unless your into blues then you can go get a Hot Rod or something. But yeah. **** gets expensive I think we've all gone throught that. And even when you do buy the 600 dollar guitar you wanted for a year there is a new 2000 dollar guitar you want to buy. It's a never ending circle of death.
Quote by cubedeathk
No not really its not the gear its the playa. A good guitarist can make any guitar sound good. Just look at those Esteban guitars they sell on tv.

A bad guitar will hold back your playing.

and yes, stuff is expensive.
Quote by TaylorU
Deliver papers. Nothing in life comes free. Playing guitar is expensive and you do need a decent guitar and a half stack to basically be able to play a show. Unless your into blues then you can go get a Hot Rod or something. But yeah. **** gets expensive I think we've all gone throught that. And even when you do buy the 600 dollar guitar you wanted for a year there is a new 2000 dollar guitar you want to buy. It's a never ending circle of death.

yes its dead frustrating cos once uve bought the guitar uve always wanted, u have to start saving again. its like a car i spose.
Money issues always suck.

But alas, one day I'll be out of college.. soon.. I hope.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
I just bought my LTD EC400 AT like 2 months ago, the week after I was looking into the '57 Fender Relic. Damn this addiction of mine.
Quote by TaylorU
Damn this addiction of mine.

couldnt put it better myself
well, it's not holding me back to be a better guitarist, but it's not allowing me to enjoy playing more... guitars, amps and stuff like that is like 30% or even 50% more expensive where i live when compared to USA. dammit...
yeah i even have a two jobs but i still dont get enough money...jesus I want to roadtrip up to rondomusic and go crazy....I want a MIM Tele....and a S series Ibanez....and a Vox Valvertronix AD50VT...and I only have $400. Money comes too slow...

I'm should have a fundraiser.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
if anything wanting new gear will help your playing, because you wan't to get better to enjoy your new purchase more
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Quote by slash_cardy
just wondering, does anyone feel like they're being held back from being a better guitarist because they cant afford any decent gear? e.g. guitars, amps, pedals etc.
prices are so high these days- way out of reach of any normal teenager!

anyone else?

I do. I have 900 dollars in debt to pay, and I have some of the ****tiest gear (look in my sig) except i have 2 cool pedals. Thats about it. Which was about 3 weeks of work at my crappy low paying job. I'm 16 btw. Funny how I have to pay back my parents for paying half my car payment ($900. yes I paid 1000 at first, whcih was all I had so my parents helped me out, and I need the car to get to my job cause parents are never around) .... when they bought my spoiled sister a $3000 piano that she begged for hasnt touched in about 2 years and almost all the abercrombie and fitch crap she wants.
Last edited by OpposingForce at Aug 2, 2006,
Buy used things, and just stockpile your money and take good care of your things.
Quote by Holy Magenta
No, I don't belive in any afterlife. Your brain dies, everything goes black, the end.

^ thats also my belief.
Its the player really, a good guitarist can make a Squier sound awesome if he feels like it.

But i get what your saying, it frustrates me aswell.
Yeah, sucks when you're at school, and looking for that 2nd axe and amp that'll make your sound that bit closer to what you want to play, instead of trying to drag good tone out of your starter model (and worse, starter amp).

I'm not even after gear that great, I'm just looking to upgrade to a Jackson JS30 RR and a Cube 15, but even £240 takes a while to accumulate...guess I should get a job, shouldn't I?

To dude that's in debt - I can't imagine how hard being $900 down at the age of 16 must suck. Good luck to you.

On the subject, anyone got any got tips for boosting the amp fund by a few quid? Barring prostitution, of course.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
I bought my Ibanez DT200 when it was on sale for £200 yesterday.

I'm wondering if I should keep it...
Quote by TaylorU

Ya, cause no one thing will ever satisfy anyone, they always have to have more, as something will only satisfy someone for about an hour, and then their looking for someting else.
member #14 of the club! PM Gabel to join

Martha Stewart for UG President '06
i get whats you mean- i mean, i have a squier strat- and i want an epiphone les paul- but theyre way too expensive.