So many great metal metal is ruined by screamers. I don't mean just shouting and stuff, I mean those guys who's role in the band besides playing an instrument is going "BLEUGH BLEUGH BLAAAAAHHHHHHH".

Trivium sound cool until those sissy screamer vocals come in, it sounds exactly the same in every damn song in it turns a hardcore shredfest into a joke.

*edited for douchebag reasons*
Last edited by UpliftMofo at Aug 2, 2006,
Firstly....get out of the metal forum....Trivigay is not metal, secondly screamers is hardcore not metal so you've got your facts wrong their

PLEASE o PLEASE MODS CLOSE THIS POST
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.
Trivium aren't metal, so most of the bands you're complaining about probably aren't metal either.

Just listen more and get used to it.
There have been some scream vocals in metal, maybe not completely scream, but at least partial.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Maybe I've been misinformed on what 'true metal' is.. i'm not talking screamo/emo or whatever, I'm just wondering why the hell this vocal technique is so popular in (insert genre) because in my personal opinion it ruins some otherwise good music.

Who should I be annoying then? Or maybe I should cool it it and buy instrumental stuff? ...
I agree partially, screaming often works well but 90% of the bands out there dont know how to use it effectively.
Quote by Atreideslegend
I agree partially, screaming often works well but 90% of the bands out there dont know how to use it effectively.

Agreed there.

Judas Priest is a kickass band, and Rob Halford screams a lot...they're one of the very few bands with screaming I like to listen to.
Pantera did a bit too. But they did it well, where you could still make out the words, and it didn't sound like their vocal cords would fall out any minute.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
See, they're some classic bands. But ya know the high pitched thing? The 'yelp'? It's largely in emo music, but there are bands (i couldn't name, i'm not a metalhead, so you may have to educate me) that i like the sound of, like thrash metal stuff, with these screamo type vocals that annoy me. I think maybe I have the wrong forum and should shut up (as a noob and all), it isn't my intention to flame.
Quote by UpliftMofo
I'm just wondering why the hell this vocal technique is so popular in (insert genre) because in my personal opinion it ruins some otherwise good music.
Just answered your own question.
Trivium isnt growling or screaming lol thats just..whining. if you mean the real black metal and death metal grunts and screams and growls, they usually use this type of vocals because most of their songs have to do with horror, scariness, suspense, brutality, etc. So the vocals just add to the atmosphere, and add to the horror that is metal. I doubt youd see britney spears vocals on a black metal song lol.. And if you DIDNT mean that kind of screaming, gtfo of the metal forums lol, theres a sissy forum near here somewhere.
Quote by Inimical
Just answered your own question.

But what's the point of opinions if you can't ram them down other peoples' throats?

Seriously though, I think I was a little off target in starting this threat as it doesn't seem to apply to most metal (mostly 'screamo') and I sort of generalised....

What I was moaning about was that kind of high pitched yelping screaming thing that tends to be in alot of emo music but it's also used in some bands that have very good guitar playing and solos.

And yes, I meant that whining thing.
Last edited by UpliftMofo at Aug 2, 2006,
Its there to reflect anger, which is what metal's about really. Its an aqquired taste whether you like it or not.
The post before me is correct but theres also another way of looking at it and ill see what i can tell ya, via a rant.

First off not another one of these dumbies! Ok man just listen up. Vocals in metal....are pretty much number 3 in the ranks of what to listen to, seeing as metal is driven usually by a rythem and a lead guitar. Of course you can listen to whatever the **** you want and theres no set order of what to listen to, but for the purpose of getting through to your thick sckull, think of it that way. "screaming vocals" are utilized for a pulse, a rythemic device, for death metal..and in black metal they create a deeper atmosphere. And also they create the melody. Also any combination of the 3. Its the nature of the music. REAL METAL, is made by guitars, drums, bass. Vocals are just not that important. Of course there are exceptions, Dragonforce, Falkenbach, Blind Guardian, what have you. Anyway...let them grow on you because if u like the guitars in metal, you'll UNDERSTAND why the vocals are the way they are, and that they take talent, and they will grow on you. I mean hell, i enjoy all types of metal vocals, just open your mind you dumb**** you have everything wrong, have a ****ty day.
Mortalis: True Massachusettsian Thrash Metal \m/

Hypocrisy-"Hell, the ****ing corn on my dinner plate is heavier than Korn."
Last edited by luke89 at Aug 2, 2006,
I like screaming in any genre, though not always, some bands do it better than others. But ususally I like it reallllyyyy high, or really low.
High pitched screamo/hardcore screaming is a part of metalcore, and not metal. Thank you, goodbye.
That high stuff usually isn't common in metal. There are a few Pantera songs on TGST that have the screams like that. I seem to really like those tracks because they are defintiely some of the more aggressive-sounding metal songs I've heard, but the stuff in screamo and all that garbage is just irritating.

So I guess a short answer is: If it's done right, screaming can sound great.
This thread not only assumes that personal opinion makes something objectively bad, but it also complains of a genre in a foreign genre's forum. So... this thread lacks observable point.
I don't like "hardcore" screaming. Mayb'e that's what he's talking about. Or he might mean like the Dani Filth "cat-in-a-blender" trademark scream. Either way, the vocals in metal are mostly there to add to the atmosphere or accentuate the guitars (like some other dude said.) Power metal is different though. It's clean singing and usually stands out from the instruments.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Screaming when it comes to bands like Cradle of Filth and Nile, is not there for the purpose of singing, but instead is meant to be heard as an instrument.
Quote by insideac
Screaming when it comes to bands like Cradle of Filth and Nile, is not there for the purpose of singing, but instead is meant to be heard as an instrument.

a) Cradle Of Faggotry and Nile have COMPLETELY different vocal styles, anyone who describes Nile as screaming has clearly not heard them.

b) Vocals are an instrument whether you listen to extreme Paraguayan grindcore or Britney Spears.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Asking why metal vocals are harsh is like asking why people like tequila even though it tastes like ****.

It's an acquired taste. Personally, I love screaming.
But **** tequila.
Quote by fronkpies
Just search "japanese chicks with big fat dicks" on google and you'll see.
This thread soars to monumental levels of idiocy.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
"Leap the beat, we tap our feet...
screams add a new feel to what we've, to what we perfected so dear.
We'll play to our deaths for we posses true happniess.
We are finally free.
Dying with our one passion, music:
the greatest wealth of them all. We must play on."

From Between the Buried and Me's "Aesthetic". These lyrics are screamed.
Any one who thinks metal is ruined by screaming is a total and complete dumbass. There are styles of metal that dont scream you know! Alot of metal doesnt scream alot, but metal just wouldnt be metal if it didnt have screaming....
oh and by the way....

Get out of the Metal Forum NoOb
Listening to me play the guitar, is the equivalent pleasure to 20 orgasms

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member #20 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club, pm revelations to join
Most of the metal stuff that I listen to has nice screaming, but I think he's talking about Chimaira or stuff like that. I could barely listen to one song without causing my dog to feel extreme pain in her ears because of those vocals. And they just sucked anyway.
Last edited by grampastumpy at Aug 3, 2006,
Quote by slashwyldepage
Asking why metal vocals are harsh is like asking why people like tequila even though it tastes like ****.

It's an acquired taste. Personally, I love screaming.
But **** tequila.

those are fightin' words, dude.

death metal vocals are atonal for a lot of reasons, but nobody mentioned the most important one-- there are simply too many different notes going on most of the time to be able to weave another melody into it.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Black Metal=Screech.....Bleh. I like only some bands.
Death Metal=Growls
Metalcore=Scream and I like it yeah.
Quote by UpliftMofo
See, they're some classic bands. But ya know the high pitched thing? The 'yelp'? It's largely in emo music, but there are bands (i couldn't name, i'm not a metalhead, so you may have to educate me) that i like the sound of, like thrash metal stuff, with these screamo type vocals that annoy me. I think maybe I have the wrong forum and should shut up (as a noob and all), it isn't my intention to flame.

High pitched screaming like Arsis?
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Either you like it..or you're a pussy.

Closed.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything