Hey guys, I have a peavey valveking 212 amp and i can never get a good distortion sound out of it, but i know people have before, so can any of you hook me up with some settings for it?
Much appreciated
-jordan
Stuff:Prs billy martin se, squier strat, peavey valveking 212, boss:mt-2,md-2,sd-1,tr-2,oc-3,Mxrdynacomp,G2.1U multieffects pedal.
my band
www.myspace.com/inyerdreams
If u want standard metal distortion start by raising your highs and lows to a couple notches below their maximum and drop the mids. standard rock distortion, you start raising the mids a bit. Also note that you may need an overdrive to get metal distortion from it.
Marty
You will need an OD pedal to push the amp for metal. It doesn't have enough gain without it. For EQ settings, just do what moose said.
i just use the metal preset in the manual and it works pretty well
Member of the LeDzEp LoVeRbOy is a pirate hooker fan club. PM fenderfreak101 or me_and_my_esp to join.
Quote by fenderfreak101
sorry i dont understand dumbass language.

Member #8 of the "Can't we forget about all the subgenres & just ROCK?" group PM rockon1824
do NOT scoop the mids, boost them. you'll thank yourself when you actually cut through the mix.

and when i played the valve king it had plenty of gain for metal. you don't need everything super saturated to play metal.
Originally posted by Phoenixblade
you're an asshole.
just drop the mids and add all the distortion and bass you can. im sick of people saying that scooped mids sound like crap, in fact, i might start a club.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I hate that amp so much. you cant get a good distortion out of it
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by shredmeiser101
just drop the mids and add all the distortion and bass you can. im sick of people saying that scooped mids sound like crap, in fact, i might start a club.

well you might think it sounds good, and thats all well and good. but you're going to have one hell of a time being heard if its more then just you playing.
Originally posted by Phoenixblade
you're an asshole.
scooping the mids..sounds kool..but once u start playing with the rest of the band..u cant hear **** wut ur playing...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Scooped mids sound great when you're by yourself, but it's been proven time and time again, it sounds like absolute ASS in a band setting. Why? Because you're inaudible.

Here's my valveking settings...for modern metal, metalcore...etc..This is the VK100, running through a 4x12 with V30s.

Treble - 2 o'clock
Mids - Noon, or a slight bit higher
Bass - 3 o'clock

Volume - 10 o'clock (band volume)
Gain - 3 o'clock
Gain boost - ON

Presence - 1 o'clock
Resonance - 11 o'clock

Texture - Class A/B (all the way to the right)

I have a BOSS GE-7 Graphic EQ in the loop, and I boost mid frequencies ever so slighty, cuts the highs a little and give it a bit a level boost to tighten it up . The end result is a very tight, thick, punchy rhythm tone that fits in great with my other guitarist's mesa rig. Blends in surprisingly well. I played out last week, and I got asked several times if I was running a 5150.

However, the tubes aren't stock in my head. Tungsol in V1, EH in the rest. And then SED Winged C 6L6GC's in the power section. Amp became some what brighter(Which is great, because I found the VK stock didn't really have a lot of treble, even when cranked, very dark) and gave it a lot more throat. Highs are crystal clear now as well.

I spent $700 to achieve this, and that's still less than what most 5150's go for now-a-days, and I have an amazing clean channel to boot.
Last edited by Colony5150 at Nov 25, 2007,
Why The **** You Bump This After 3 ****ing Years!!
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals