Page 1 of 2
Which Killswitch Engage singer do you prefer, Jesse Leach (Self Titled Album + "Alive or Just Breathing) or Howard Jones ("The End of Heartache"). This is just based of their singing voice not the songs themselves.

Personally I prefer Jesse as his screaming/shouting (whatever you wanna call it) has an angrier note to it which suits the style of their music.

If you don't like KSE don't bother replying.
Howard kinda cracks after he screams...but he screams higher than Jesse...both are good singers..screamers to be exact...KsE rocks!! My last serenade was a great song!! and still is!!!
Howard Is way better much prefer the newer stuff to the older
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
its difficult to decide because both were so good. howard has an amazing presence live though. i never saw them live with jesse. and i love howards deep voice. its amazing.
mmm mmm bitch
i prefer the way jesse sang but saying that my fav song is rose of sharyn.
Between The Buried And Me

Member #6 of the I Love Hayley Williams Club! PM Gibson_SG_uzr55 to Join!
Jesse was a better singer IMO, but i like them either way. If they make a cd like the cover of Dio and This Fire Burns, it'll be great.
Steel instruments shine in
A lively light of green substance
Dead or alive
Bodies and souls are waiting for the contact with these macabre tools
They are only creations made alive
Jesse is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard, even if I've grown out of them completely.

I don't mind the occassional track from self titled now and again mind you - but that's a completely different story. Sounds completely different from the genetic follow ups. Soilborn is a classic of a song.

EDIT: You think Howard is a good singer? You haven't seen him trying to do live performances.

What do you think is best vocal wise?

Jesse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZtqJhFV3Q

Howard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmbEwqoVGWE

Judge only the vocals.
Last edited by Craigo at Aug 4, 2006,
The sound quality on the vid. with Jesse is so bad I can't really make a choice. I saw Killswitch last year at Ozzfest and Howard sounded really good live, both singing and screaming. If I was picking soley on what I hear in those videos, I'd go with Jesse.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Craigo
Jesse is one of the best vocalists I've ever heard, even if I've grown out of them completely.

I don't mind the occassional track from self titled now and again mind you - but that's a completely different story. Sounds completely different from the genetic follow ups. Soilborn is a classic of a song.

EDIT: You think Howard is a good singer? You haven't seen him trying to do live performances.

What do you think is best vocal wise?

Jesse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZtqJhFV3Q

Howard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmbEwqoVGWE

Judge only the vocals.

I prefer the second one
howard jones for sure. his voice is stronger. but dont get me wrong jesse is still awsome. i just cant believe he doesn't scream any more. hes in a band called seamless and there no screaming.
Quote by Craigo
^^ That's one of the best live videos I could find unfortunately. It was that or Vide Infra, I thought having the same song face by face will suit better.

Jesse all the way.

I agree completely, comparing the same song with the two singers is a great idea, it's just too bad the one with Jesse isn't a better quality. Might make the decision easier.

You think Howard isn't too impressive live?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I like Killswitch's new stuff through a music standpoint but the old vocals fit alot better, Howards clean voice makes me want to yell. Funny how they got me into metalcore and all
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
i wonder if one day they'll go back and remaster there first two albums with Jones (assuming he lasts)?
Ever wonder what rock would have sounded like in 2010 if grunge hadn't made it cool to be stupid?

The Three Aces
On UG profiles - On Myspace

Please mark yourself as a fan if you like!
I hate Howards voice and anytime i've seen him live he has hardly ever spoke to the crowd and lets Adam do it.

I choose Jesse and he does scream in Seemless (not much), also Seemless >> New KsE.

Quote by Lin
i wonder if one day they'll go back and remaster there first two albums with Jones (assuming he lasts)?

What? Why would they remaster albums which have been 'overproduced' in the first place?
Jesse ftw. He sounded so pissed-off.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Craigo
^^ Thank you.

Two regualrs (ish with Led) both agree with me Jesse is best.

So that just automatically makes it right?

So I shouldn't prefer their newer singer...since its wrong?
Yes. Howard Jones is objectively bad. The KsE cover of Holy Diver owns except for him. He sounds like Isaac Hayes at the beginning haha, "mmmmyeaaah!"
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by Craigo
^^ Thank you.

Two regualrs (ish with Led) both agree with me Jesse is best. His voice his a hell lot stronger - anyone who says it's not as strong as Howards can go eat a shoe.

i agreed with you too, and i'm a regular...
Dead or alive
Howard's clean vocals are stronger than Jesse's but Jesse's scream is intense. Both released great albums, but I'm gonna give the odds to Howard and End of Heartache simply because songs like When Darkness Falls, Breathe Life, Rose of Sharyn and End of Heartache really put KsE on the map.
Rose of Sharyn is awesome, but the others pale in comparison to My Last Serenade, Fixation on the Darkness, Just Barely Breathing (or Alive or Just Breathing...can't remember off-hand), and Vide Infra.
Dead or alive
Quote by DisturbedIbanez
Howard's clean vocals are stronger than Jesse's but Jesse's scream is intense. Both released great albums, but I'm gonna give the odds to Howard and End of Heartache simply because songs like When Darkness Falls, Breathe Life, Rose of Sharyn and End of Heartache really put KsE on the map.

Hmm...

But - it's a full band effort - the whole band changed their sound (keeping it on the roots of Alive or Just Breathing) plus it's their second album on Roadrunner.

To be fair - what do you expect? They became more 'listenable to newcomers' in the genre and made it big. They've changed from what's not so popular (demo, self titled) to more and more popular.

Not saying their sell outs - just saying that it's the direction of the band.

One singer didn't get them on the map. Plus - Jesse brought them on the map. Howard got them even further onto the mainstream - finishing off what Jesse was bound to do anyway.

On the map means nothing either. Just means you have a lot of fans - which doesn't mean most people on the scene like you - just means big promotions.
Seemless is pwnage...i just heard their new cd and his voice is AMAZING, a lot better clean voice than Howard, i still love that big black man though.
Dead or alive
howard has a really nice voice, but jesses is just so emotional and strong, i've got to give it to jesse.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Jesse was a more aggressive and Emotinal singer and he was just so raw that for me he was a little bit above Howard, but Howards singing voice is amazing.
SKOTY- B!!!
i like both but Jesse just nudges it for me, his lyrics are about standing up and being counted, wereas Jones are about love and he almost emoified the band.
Current playing with:
Cort x-6 -->Laney HCM65R

On Zakk Wylde's guitar.
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Quote by Joey Walker
Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps
I got so attached to the old line up, that when Howard came It felt something was missing.
Quote by blueeleguitar
i like both but Jesse just nudges it for me, his lyrics are about standing up and being counted, wereas Jones are about love and he almost emoified the band.

Yeah because The Element of One wasn't about love at all

You seem to be basing that on one song (The End of Heartache), with the exception of that and Rose of Sharyn, which I've heard was actually wrote by Jesse, there are no other songs of that topic.

Hope Is... -

"Let the strength of your words
Be the spark that ignites the flame
Proclaim your freedom
Give voice to your liberation"
SKOTY- B!!!
i got to go with Howard man. He has a cool scream. And i like his singing voice too.
I like the new stuff (cuz i haven't heard much of the old stuff). But Take This Oath is a great song and so is When Darkness Falls.
This is Bob. Bob likes sharp things. Bob likes you. I suggest you run from Bob.

I wish my grass was Emo so it would cut itself.
Quote by skotyb
Yeah because The Element of One wasn't about love at all

You seem to be basing that on one song (The End of Heartache), with the exception of that and Rose of Sharyn, which I've heard was actually wrote by Jesse, there are no other songs of that topic.

Hope Is... -

"Let the strength of your words
Be the spark that ignites the flame
Proclaim your freedom
Give voice to your liberation"

Howard wrote Rose of Sharyn about his mother
Dead or alive
Quote by StuartR