what kind of mic is best for recording a guitar amp?

the signal goes into the line of a computer, dont know if that information matters
Last edited by livefortoday at Aug 2, 2006,
Shure SM57
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
Shure SM57

+1

If you use it make sure it's pointed at the "meat", or rather, the side of the speaker, not directly in the middle, in the upper right works well for me.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
ok thanks, reading your response i googled it and read something about the SM57, and now i'm definately going to buy one

thanks for the info on where to point it at too, i'd seen people do that but i wasn't shure.
the sm57 is great, but plugging it into your sound card is not your best bet for quality. it kills me when someone wants to get a good mic then uses a few adapters to send it through the line in on a bad soundcard. if you want to do something, do it right. get the sm57 and either an interface or a nice recording sound card. there really is no point in using a good mic with a bad soundcard because you lose all the quality you gain from the good mic when it hits your card.
Quote by jof1029
the sm57 is great, but plugging it into your sound card is not your best bet for quality. it kills me when someone wants to get a good mic then uses a few adapters to send it through the line in on a bad soundcard. if you want to do something, do it right. get the sm57 and either an interface or a nice recording sound card. there really is no point in using a good mic with a bad soundcard because you lose all the quality you gain from the good mic when it hits your card.

thank you, that's just what i asked in an other thread i just started, in that thread I asked if a better soundcard would make the line-in quality better.

I'll go for the new soundcard too..

but exactly what specification of the soundcard should I look out for, when I want a better line-in? What should I look at on the box of the soundcard to know about the line-in quality?
Quote by livefortoday
ok thanks, reading your response i googled it and read something about the SM57, and now i'm definately going to buy one

thanks for the info on where to point it at too, i'd seen people do that but i wasn't shure.

LORZ!!!!111!!!one!!!1

nice pun
Quote by 86th fret
my testes turned blue from just reading that. i mean just imagine that they would ****ing burst and your... omg..

Quote by acrocks
i'd bite the zombies so they'd turn into me
Bet they wouldn't see that coming
OGHNO! He doesnt know how to spell sure for shure!
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!