i use my computer's line in for home recording

could buying a new and better soundcard improve the quality of the line-in signal or anything?
it can alot. i use my laptop mainly, so getting a new soundcard wasn't an option, so i got one of the USB interfaces... the tascam US-224. it's not a bad sound, as long as you know what you're doing with effects you can make it sound quite warm.

assuming you have a desktop, the sound card is probably your best bet for the better quality. for me though, it wasn't an option.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
ok thanx, but can you tell me what specification of the soundcard I should look out for, when I want a better line-in? What specification on the soundcard package tells me about the line-in/recording quality?
what's your budget for the sound card?
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301566
that thread has a few things you may want to look into, a few sound cards and a couple interfaces. if you want a soundcard for recording, dont get a normal soundcard from like best buy or comp usa. those are going to be more aimed at gaming type applications and are better for that stuff. instead look into the soundcards that music shops sell, places like guitar center have a bunch of recording stuff that you can look into. online stores like musiciansfriend or music123 will also have soundcards made specifically for recording. you might also want to look into external USB or firewire interfaces as well. they do the same sort of thing but are out side of the computer instead of inside it.
Quote by musicofthenite
what's your budget for the sound card?

my budget would be around 100 euro's i think (so that's like 120 dollars)...