basically my guitar came with 9's on it but I tohught they sounded a bit weak and tinny so I got some ernie ball regular slinkys and put them on. But now the strings seem to slant down the neck, meaning that they are way closer to the fretbaord at the 1st fret than they are at at the 20th.
You need to adjust your Truss Rod. Seems the extra tension warped the neck a bit. If you have a floating bridge of some sort, you might have to adjust the spring tension as well.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

i dont have a floating bridge, but I don't really know anything about the truss rod, is it easy to adjust?
What model of guitar is it and which bridge type do you have? Check and repost.

Under any circumstances, don't touch the truss rod unless you know exactly what it does.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by sharene
I've got an Ibanez sa160qm

Sweet, look at your bridge from the side and check if the tremolo plate is parallel to the body of the guitar, or if it's tilted slightly in the direction of the neck. So check the angle and repost.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Yea, all you need is a capo and an Allen wrench.

Step 1: Capo the 1st fret, and fret the 17th (or wherever your neck meets your body) with your finger.

Step 2: Begin tightening the truss rod (Clock-wise) quarter turns at a time.

Step 3: When you can slide a playing card through freely, but not terribly loosely (about 2-3mm from strings to neck) you are good.

If that doesn't work, lower your action.

If you are a complete n00b and don't know what your doing even with directions. Just take the guitar in to your local shop.
- FJ

If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

DO NOT ADJUST YOUR TRUSS ROD if you're not sure. it's very easy to damage your neck if you don't know what you're doing.

take it to a guitar tech if you're unsure about making such an adjustment. it might not even be the truss rod that needs adjusting.
Quote by flyingjew34
If that doesn't work, lower your action.

Buddy, what in god's name are you on? You check your action and bridge angle first and only if that is unsuccessful, you go to someone who knows better and ask them to work your truss rod.

Quote by sharene
its tilting up slightly

That's your reason

Just take the back plate off your SA (the one which covers the tremolo), get a screwdriver, and tighten the two screws on the tremolo claw (the metal plate to which the springs are attached) until your bridge is parallel to the body. Then retune, and you should be all good to go.
Last edited by pifty at Aug 2, 2006,
Yea, I posted directions. If you are still unsure, take it in to a shop. The neck can be delicate, so don't feel over-confident in your skills. I have adjusted mine and my friends necks, but I also am good at mechanical stuff. I have lots of experience...
- FJ

If the bridge is tilting up slightly does that mean that it needs adjusting and not the truss rod
Quote by pifty

That's your reason

Just take the back plate off your SA (the one which covers the tremolo), get a screwdriver, and tighten the two screws on the tremolo claw (the metal plate to which the springs are attached) until your bridge is parallel to the body. Then retune, and you should be all good to go.

ok thanks ill try that
Quote by pifty
Buddy, what in god's name are you on? You check your action and bridge angle first and only if that is unsuccessful, you go to someone who knows better and ask them to work your truss rod.

Yea, I screwed up back there. Action first!

But I think that I think that if you should definitely learn how the guitar works. Pussys that don't know how their guitar works and are too afraid to figure it out make me more mad than anything. If the TS takes it in to be fixed, ask to see if he'll show you how to do it. Truss rods are good to know how to fix.

And damn! I posted the truss rod stuff before he said anything about the bridge tilting up. You need to adjust the spring tension on your bridge.
- FJ

Last edited by flyingjew34 at Aug 2, 2006,
i've tightened the springs but the angle of the plate doesnt seem to be changing
Well, do you know how the action works? Because if you don't, take it in to a guitar shop and have them take a look at it. Ask them to explain the problem to you as well. Get to know that guitar!
- FJ

ok so i made them loser and not the bridge is parrallel but is sitting about 2/3mm off the body
Sounds like you have a bad problem with the bridge maybe. I would (at this point) just have a professional take a look at it.
- FJ

Quote by sharene
i've tightened the springs but the angle of the plate doesnt seem to be changing

Then you need to tighten more - the screws should have plenty of room to get it parallel. A switch from 9s to 10s puts quite a few additional pounds of tension on the bridge, so you have to compensate on the other end of the lever. Keep tightening.

Quote by sharene
ok so i made them loser and not the bridge is parrallel but is sitting about 2/3mm off the body

The SAT/FAT bridges on those guitars are designed to float slightly above the body (but parallel to it) so you can both dive and make slight pull ups.
Last edited by pifty at Aug 2, 2006,
it seem the action is too low at the nut but fine nearer the bridge
Well, there's not much you can do about the nut. That is a fixed position, unless it's a locking nut. But I don't know if those are adjustable either.
- FJ

Quote by sharene
it seem the action is too low at the nut but fine nearer the bridge

Are you sure it's not the fact that you're not used to the new string gauge?

If the tension were to bow your neck more than required, the action at the nut would raise, not become lower. Do you notice any fret buzz on the frist few frets that wasn't there before?
yeh, there was wuite a bit of fret buzz and the action was significantly lower at the nut, but i adjusted the truss rod and it seems to e bettter now
Why dont you just get a pro setup?
35 bucks, problem solved.