I'm looking for a new guitar because the one I have now is not the greatest :P. Anyway, I've been looking around and I think I would like to have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, because it's not that expensive and I've read good things about these guitars. I'm not very experienced and have no idea what I should be looking for when purchasing a guitar so I was wondering if anyone who has had experience with 1 of these could share their thoughts on it. Is it worth the money?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341
Buy a used one off ebay. They're good guitars. I had one years ago, changed the tuners to grovers, pickups to a JB in bridge and 59 in neck and it screamed.
i have one. bought it new, and it's great. it's a good piece of wood, the neck is fast and comfortable, the controls are easy, it stays in tune and it looks nice. the pickups are pretty good too, but i've swapped mine out for some Gibson '57 classics.
amazing guitar!!! i have one and i also put 57' classic plus pickups in it and its awesome...expecially threw my VOX AD30VT
Get one with grovers, and it pwns.

You can then think about a pickup change to afford a specific sound in the future
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
i played one at a music store a while back. they are good guitars. the pickups are good but i would swap them.
Founder of the Cas is God Club. PM me to Join.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
it's times like this I wish I had a sharp pointy stick, or an army of flying meerkats

^ Im his favorite 2006er.

Quote by IamIronMan88
i like buttsecks...
Very good looking guitar, neck is a bit thick for me, pickup selector is pretty much crap, pickups aren't great and it's not solid mahogny, I suppose it's decent in the price range though.
ey, id give em a 8/10. id play it over a squire any day!
my gear:
zack wylde les paul custom
randy rhoads v custom
120 watt crate amp
505 zoom processor
ibanez weeping demon wah

"no one you can tell, for youve been raptured to hell"
-me
First of all, what kind of music do you play? What kind of amp do you have? And what kind of guitar do you have now?

Who knows, you may be looking for a heavy metal style guitar, in which case this might not be your best choice and/or maybe this isn't much of an upgrade from what you have already, and would be better off saving some more money.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack