I am currently looking into this amp... it's fairly cheap (I can get it for $500), and I was wondering what other people thought of this amp since I can't find any reviews. How does it compare to other tube amps? How many channels does it have? My guitar is an Epiphone SG G-400 with EMG 81/85. Would this amp, since it's tube, show the characteristics of the EMGs? I play mostly metal and hard rock (Metallica, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, Children Of Bodom). I will try the amp before I make my final decision to buy, I just would like to know if it's even worth my time.
Does the word 'Blues' not phase you.Its a blues amp.If you want metal try the SoCal 50 head and cab.Made by Epiphone too.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
I was just looking at the SoCal 50 head, and yes, that does look like a better choice for me. It has 2 channels, EL-34's, but the only thing is the solid state rectifier. Will that pull down the tone? And will this amp show the EMG's characteristics?
Hmmm.....Im not that sure about the solid state rectifier.Its suppose to make your tone tighter correct me if Im wrong.It should make your EMGs shine.
Originally Posted by RideTheAnger13
Getting a spider II for a gift is like getting coal for christmas. Whoever is getting that for you obviously doesn't like you.
Ok, but right now the max I can spend is around $500... But I could save up and wait until after christmas, and I could get the head then. But I'll need a cab... can you recommend me a cab preferrably less than $500?

Edit: Or any other ALL TUBE combo around $1000? Please keep in mind that I'm in Canada.
A hell of a lot of valve amps have SS Rectifiers, not such a big deal.

And do you not understand the word "Blues" in Blues Custom 30?

And for $500, you couuld get a used Peavey XXX or 5150.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
A hell of a lot of valve amps have SS Rectifiers, not such a big deal.

And do you not understand the word "Blues" in Blues Custom 30?

And for $500, you couuld get a used Peavey XXX or 5150.

I have tried the XXX and I LOVE it... it just wasn't in my price range new. And for $500 used, you mean the combo, right?
Yup.

And if you loved it so much, honestly, buy it (used)!
Don't be afraid to care"

Ok, so I'm gonna go into my local shop and talk to them... what's the most I should willingly pay for the combo, used?
Hmm, look how much they're generally going for on eBay and then offer them around that price (or lower if they'll go for it)
Don't be afraid to care"

Another thing, I'm just a bedroom guitarist right now... would it be kinda stupid to have a high-end tube amp just for the bedroom? I know that Peavey relies on their preamps, so I'll be able to get a good tone, but would I just be wasting my money? My amp right now is a 15 watt Fender G-Dec (solid state), and I never turn it past 8.
Last edited by Stevo12312 at Aug 2, 2006,
You might want to check out one of the Kustom Coupe series amps as well. I picked one up a couple of months ago, and what little I've been able to mess with it, I'm very impressed with it's broad range of tones. Surprisingly it'll dive into high gain territory rather easily, as well as Fender-ish cleans/reverb, and a nice rock/classic rock crunch.
Quote by Manchu
You might want to check out one of the Kustom Coupe series amps as well. I picked one up a couple of months ago, and what little I've been able to mess with it, I'm very impressed with it's broad range of tones. Surprisingly it'll dive into high gain territory rather easily, as well as Fender-ish cleans/reverb, and a nice rock/classic rock crunch.

Why did you have to bring back this thread? I made it almost 3 months ago...