So for awhile I've been asking around here what's a good combo tube amp which will give me pretty much any kind of sound out of it. I was going to go with a Traynor blue but decided that it'd be worth it to save up and get a used Mesa Mark IV.

My question is that most that I've seen locally go for around 1200-1300 USD; I wanted to ask is that abouve the average price, and if there is anything else in that price range I should look at to give me a wide variety of style, meaning, very good cleans, along with distortion to match rock, metal, blues, and everything in-between?
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
The only other amp I can think of is the Mesa Roadstar. But it's above you price range. I've seen Mark IV's on Ebay for around that much.
EDIT: I don't know what the hell I was thinking with the Roadstar, I meant Lone Star. I think I got it confused with the Roadster, which is also very versatile.
Last edited by El Codyo at Aug 2, 2006,
I've got a Mark IV, and I absolutely love it. Someone mentioned Lone Stars...they're actually right in that $1,200 area for a new one, but the combos are low wattage compared to the Mark IV, and the Mark is much better for hard rock. The Lone Star is EXCELLENT for jazz and blues and gritty classic rock/country rock kind of sounds (I'm thinking about getting one to A/B with my Mark IV). The Mark IV is also probably the most flexible amp in its class, since you can use a few different combinations of power tubes, selectable wattage settings, footswitchable graphic EQ, etc.
Hi, I'm Peter
yea, erock has a mark IV. he paid about 800 for his. (its old as hell)

but http://erock503.dmusic.com/ is his dmusic, you will see some at the bottom.

i like my JSX better. so JSX FTW!
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Personally I cannot stand the Mark IV...

I'll throw some curve balls in there though: Koch make some amps you might like, the multitone in particular. I'm completely clueless as to how much they cost over there but over here they're around £1300 ish from memory. You could also check out some Riveras but they've got more of a marshall vibe on the OD channel something you may or may not want.

Both of these amps have a MUCH better clean sound than the Mark IV and have more natural sounding reverbs. Personally I think the mark IV sounds over-processed, these amps remain natural under all levels of gain.

My 1.06581p

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by 14guitar14
JSX is REALLY versitile

I've found that it's cleans arent great though. I have only had it for 3 days though. Maybe I'm not Eq'ing it right?

But you can get a wide variety for sounds, some Metal, Gob, A7X, Blink 182, The Pink Spiders (modern Swinger, anyways), Three Days Grace, and so on and so forth.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
The JSX has pretty great cleans, not as good as the Mark IV, but still quite good.
I'm thinking after I get the couple of guitars I'm looking at, (RR3 and an Epi LP plaintop) that I'll pickup a Mk.IV. One question elektrik, I've heard that the lead w/o the EQ is pretty mid-ey, so could I use that for my lead stuff and use the EQ to scoop the mids a bit?
Quote by El Codyo
I'm thinking after I get the couple of guitars I'm looking at, (RR3 and an Epi LP plaintop) that I'll pickup a Mk.IV. One question elektrik, I've heard that the lead w/o the EQ is pretty mid-ey, so could I use that for my lead stuff and use the EQ to scoop the mids a bit?

Yup. It is very midrangey. It sounds awesome for higher gain bluesy fusion kind of stuff with the gain, treble and drive a couple notches less than you'd use for metal, or you could kick it in for your leads if you have it already dialed in for metal with the EQ.

Personally, I perfer to use my EQ pedal if I want to go from crushing "scooped" (I use that loosely, because the Mark IV always has plenty of mids and will always cut through) sound, to a more midrange heavy solo tone thats a bit fuller with less high end. Just kicking off the amp EQ can be too middy at times, but it's good if you're using your neck pickup and doing the liquid lead kind of thing.

Oh by the way, check out the "Lamb of God" thread, for a Mark IV clip of some Lamb of God, which you seem to be a fan of.
Last edited by electrik at Aug 13, 2006,
Another amp I suggest from Mesa is the F-series. It's probably not as versatile as the Mark IV, but it does have that Mark lead tone and the tighter Recto tone.

There's a whole thread dedicated to it on the Harmony Central Amps forum. Good info and sound clips from the owners.

I'm considering a F-50 or F-100 combo myself.
cool clip electik, I like your playing.

You really need to get a real recording setup though to do the Mark justice, the digicam makes it sound kind of thin.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by greendayguitar
I've found that it's cleans arent great though. I have only had it for 3 days though. Maybe I'm not Eq'ing it right?

But you can get a wide variety for sounds, some Metal, Gob, A7X, Blink 182, The Pink Spiders (modern Swinger, anyways), Three Days Grace, and so on and so forth.

yea, it takes some EQing. my best that ive found is the mids and treble at 12, then bass around 3. (o'clock, that is) sounds great with my X50 when tapped on both pups.

yummy,

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Thats not muddy, thats dark sounding........ every mesa almost soounds like dat yo !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by tubadude
yea, it takes some EQing. my best that ive found is the mids and treble at 12, then bass around 3. (o'clock, that is) sounds great with my X50 when tapped on both pups.

yummy,

Hmmm, I'm going to ahve to try that, thanks
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
and i would tweak from there, since all guitars are different.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by lacoocoo
Is the lead channel really muddy, can you make the channel more crisp so that you can hear every note really cleanly for soloing?

It's not muddy at all. Its very tight and clear. It is amazing for soloing. It's not like the Rectos at all.