Poll: Lines or No?
Poll Options
View poll results: Lines or No?
Lines
29 56%
No Lines
23 44%
Voters: 52.
Frettless players, do you prefer lines on your fingerboard or no? I used to, but my dad built a bass without lines and I've been playing long enough that I can hear where its wrong, in relativity to other notes.
ive only played on fretlesses with lines or dots, so i guess im gonna have to pick that one.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
to be honest I think his hair looked awesome long, and he was quite sextastic to be honest... I'd do him

haha, you'd do me....

The Tim Sawyer of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
I think that you'd be respected a lot more if you didnt have lines, as its pretty easy to see that without lines is harder.

But then your bass also looks cooler without lines, imo. i say no lines for me, thank you
I dislike playing with fretlined basses. Mostly because I learned on Doublebass, and I never learned by looking at my fingers, so it just seems more right. It makes no difference, really.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
i wish there was a bass that magically had lines for like the first couple months that you own it, then they dissappear. i like it better without lines but i need a little while to bond with a bass and be get used to exactly where the frets are. after a little while of playing, its easy to just jam without knowing where the frets are because it becomes instinct but all basses are different so where the frets (or lack there of) are on one bass is different on another.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Quote by jbassman4
i wish there was a bass that magically had lines for like the first couple months that you own it, then they dissappear. i like it better without lines but i need a little while to bond with a bass and be get used to exactly where the frets are. after a little while of playing, its easy to just jam without knowing where the frets are because it becomes instinct but all basses are different so where the frets (or lack there of) are on one bass is different on another.

well, there is no such bass, but there is a magical tool called "sandpaper". [/sarcasm]. Unless your lines are inlayed... then you're fucked
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
What some people don't realize is that the unlined fretless basses have the dots where the "Fret" would be, so you can work off of that.

But I have to say the single most awesome fretless I've ever ever played was a Manne that had some black "lines" that were there if you looked so you can intonate and do it well, but if you're like 2+ feet away, it's compeltely indistinguishable. I've only ever played it acoustic, and it is SINGS! The mwah is there. The ultimate fretless... I think.
haha
Well for that "getting rid of lines after a month" deal, you could just sand down a bit and ebonize/refinish, for a nice black smooth fretboard that wont anymore have lines.
or you could buy a lineless and use the fret marking tape that begginers use on Upright bass??
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Lineless for me. Espescially when the epoxy is just loaded on and it's really shiny.

Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Quote by JMack
Lineless for me. Espescially when the epoxy is just loaded on and it's really shiny.

TASTY!!!!

I'll require the full bass pics ASAP.
haha
Yeah, I need it too. I found that on google images. It didn't have the full bass. I wish it did, because strings on a shiny fretboards is my little pet love.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
wow, thats shiny.

anyways, i know yo0u can by markers for violins and what not that can be taken off. i think you could find/make one for your bass.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
haha i made it 11-10 muhahahaha.....

i dont own a fretless, but at my local music shop, they have a few, some have lines some dont

saying that;
I say lines, cause im still a begginer player with 7 months of experience, i dont know the sounds apart. When i tried the lineless i was like.......f*ckin sh!t!!!
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Well it isnt hard to bend a string that has the tension of a piece of well cooked spaghetti, especially when you have hands like goalkeeper gloves

My songs: (more to come) (C4C's)
Screams fell silent underneath the black sun
Lineless will help you develop a better ear and it will help discipline your fingers. You will learn positions, and will develop finger strength. With lines, your learning just about the same as on a fretted bass. And it doesn't look as hot

EDIT: I know a lot of people here don't like the looks of Warwicks, but I do!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by JMack

Pedulla will do that if you send your neck in. Oh, and itsabout $400
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Lineless. But sometimes you have to have lines, in the case of a home-defretting job or something.

But if I were to purchase a fretless bass (as opposed to making it fretless), I would have to say no to lines and dots.
Quote by mountaindew88
Lineless. But sometimes you have to have lines, in the case of a home-defretting job or something.

But if I were to purchase a fretless bass (as opposed to making it fretless), I would have to say no to lines and dots.

+1. The only thing that makes me wary about ever buying a Jaco... it worked for Jaco cuz A) He's god and B) He home defretted, but fretless pwns so much more unlined
haha
TALLMAN!

that is THE bass (line of basses, rather lol) that i'd want a fretless from lol.

like the Legend Fretless (ala Yves Carbonne lol)

i'd want a 6 or 7 string fretless Legend if i could have just one Fretless bass
Quote by mangablade
TALLMAN!

that is THE bass (line of basses, rather lol) that i'd want a fretless from lol.

like the Legend Fretless (ala Yves Carbonne lol)

i'd want a 6 or 7 string fretless Legend if i could have just one Fretless bass

You and me both.

They are possibly THE nicest basses. EVER.

But they are damn expensive. They should make a Standard series. For people with little money to spare.
Umm their basic series?

comes with 2 pups, 3 band pre amp, nice wood, and your choice of 4-7 strings, single or double neck, fretted or fretless, and 24/28/36 fret versions
Quote by mangablade
Umm their basic series?

comes with 2 pups, 3 band pre amp, nice wood, and your choice of 4-7 strings, single or double neck, fretted or fretless, and 24/28/36 fret versions

yeah... for £2000!

i meant something even cheaper.
I dont get it. Everybody says you need a good ear to play fretless bass/double bass, but you dont hear the note till you play it (obeviously) so how can your hearing help you play right if you dont hear until you play? you can play a random note on the neck and know what it is but you cant know ahead of playing. or does you ear help you practice until eventually you memorize the neck? i know it sounds really stupid but i dont get the point.
It's "lines or not" not "lines or no" for fucks sake!

Anyway don't get lines because they suck. If you aren't having frets, why would you want it to look like you do?
my brothers fretless just has some dots on the top of the fretboard, so people watching cant really see them
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
+1. The only thing that makes me wary about ever buying a Jaco... it worked for Jaco cuz A) He's god and B) He home defretted, but fretless pwns so much more unlined

Why wou;d you get one anyways? Its just an American standard without frets, which Fender will do, for considerably less.
Quote by Walkin'Basser
I dont get it. Everybody says you need a good ear to play fretless bass/double bass, but you dont hear the note till you play it (obeviously) so how can your hearing help you play right if you dont hear until you play? you can play a random note on the neck and know what it is but you cant know ahead of playing. or does you ear help you practice until eventually you memorize the neck? i know it sounds really stupid but i dont get the point.

A note is never wrong. It can be made right by what you play after it.

ie. Chromatics, Bending.
Quote by Walkin'Basser

Probably someone with a bad ear wouldn´t realize the tiny difference between a note and a slightly sharp/flat note. With a good ear you could know you are messing up. You need to develop your ear to get a better intonation, and I guess it will, because in a fretted bass you only hear a constant set of notes A to F, but in a fretless the posibilities are endless. Well that's what I think...
I ever I go fretless/lineless, i'd have problems just sticking to root notes..
so its lines for me..
HUMP|de|BUMP