Page 1 of 2
Alright, now I've realized lately that apart from Geezer Butler, Steve Harris and Cliff Burton there aren't an overwhelming number of innovative bassists in metal (any subgenre). But then I thought, perhaps thats just because I'm not aware of many others. So I'd like to find some others.
Can any of you help me with this? Post the bassists name, band and an album that showcases his/her skills. You can post anything else but don't give me a note that says I should check out Victor or Jaco or something like that (as I am looking for metal bassists).

edit. Also post the reason why the bassist is so innovative, eg Cliff Burton played thrash with his fingers only and a style of lead bass that few had ever heard before. Thanks.
Last edited by kyle5000 at Aug 7, 2006,
Quote by watchingmefall
Name: Stefan Fimmers.
Band: Necrophagist
Song: Only Ash Remains and Fermented Offal Discharge.

Nuff said.

damn you beat me to it, I'd also add stabwound to the list of songs when he does that crazy bridge thing.

anywho

Name: Rex Brown
Band: Pantera
Song: Yesterday Don't Mean ****
slammed my penis in the toilet seat when I was 7-8yrs old,when I tried to run away,it got caught and stretched out, now it is huge,and I have the good ol shxtter to thank

Member of the Anti-Hotpunksk8rgirl club. PM X Alkaline 3 to join
Name: Alex Webster
Band: Cannibal Corpse
Song: No Remorse (Metallica Cover), or Hammer Smashed Face
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Name: Cronos
Band: Venom
Songs: Bass Solo, Countess Bathory, At War with Satan,

Name: Schmier
Band: Destruction
Songs: Mad Butcher, Bestial Invasion, Betrayer,
Quote by Your41Plague12
Song: Frantic Disembowelment, Dead Human Collection

Name: John Myung
Band: Dream Theater
Albums: Images and Words, Awake (the only two I've listened to so far)
Song: Metropolis part 1

Name: Justin Chancellor
Band: Tool (I consider them metal)
Albums: AEnima, Lateralus, 10,000 Days
Songs: Stinkfist, 46 and two, H., Schism, The Grudge, Disposition, Jambi, The Pot, Intension, Right in Two (and every other song)
Quote by FunkMaster

you know you're a bassist when your GF loves you for your fingering technique
suggestion: when talking about the bassist, it may be helpful to also explain why they are so innovative.

For example:
John Myung: rediculously fast hands, ability to tap and change rhythm remarkably well
Justin Chancellor: amazing and creative use of effects, very odd and uniquely rhythmic basslines
Quote by FunkMaster

the guy from megadeth, I don't know his name.
He plays on Peace Sells But Who's Buying.
You are not a slave...
^ David Ellefson
Quote by FunkMaster

Quote by seekdestroy83
^ David Ellefson

okay, now I know his name.
You are not a slave...
name: Tony Choy
band: Athiest
song: Mother Man And the Psychic Saw(meh even though patterson wrote all the songs on this album tony is still playing them and someone already mentioned roger)
actually the entire album is crazy
Why: incorporates jazz and metal into his playing with insane technicality
theres a guitar pro tab on this site actually done by me so check it out if you want

name: Pete Perez
band: Spastic Ink
song: Mosquito Brain Surgery
why?: best prog bassist you will ever see.. lol
Last edited by StygianFury666 at Aug 3, 2006,
Quote by thunderbritches
name: don't know
band: Mastadon
album: Leviathon
song: all of them

Troy Sanders... he's pretty good. Not too crazy but solid.
Name- Paolo...something
Band- Trivium
Record- Acsendancy
Why?- Soild player, keeps the grove during crazy guitar solos, listen to Dying in Your Arms for a nice grove.

Name- Paul Romanko
Band- Shadows Fall
Record- The War Within ( I haven't heard the new one yet )
Why?- Again, like Paolo, he keeps the groove going, but he always can play a nice melodic line up high when the guitars go clean or stay in the pocket and tie everything together.

Name- I've forgotten
Band- Fear Before the March Of Flames (not really metal but it's close enough )
Record- Art Damage and Odd How People Shake
Why?- He plays crazy lead lines (mostly on Odd How People Shake) while still keeping everything in order ( which is difficult to do with a band like Fear Before)
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Metal has some of the best bassists in the world, but most are just too blind to see them. Let me introduce you to Jari Kainulainen (Ex-Stratovarius) in "The Kiss of Judas".

Click >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsYvGDLcHh8&search=Kiss%20of%20Judas

This guy is Finland's best.

Other noteworthy metal bassists of equal talent.

Thomas Miller (ex-Symphony X) on the album 'Divine Wings of Tragedy'

Michael LePond (Symphony X) everything after 'Divine Wings of Tragedy'

Joey Demaio (Manowar) 8-string piccolo bass
hatebreed: none of your bands listed were metal...

TheAmaranth: 8 string piccolo? which way? lol. is it like an 8 string bass, but octave higher?
Quote by mangablade

TheAmaranth: 8 string piccolo? which way? lol. is it like an 8 string bass, but octave higher?

technically the bands were metalcore, (even though I don't really consider them that) which is a sub genre of metal and hardcore... so technically... yeah.

I can't believe no-one mentioned steve gigorgio yet, one of metals only fretless bass players i'd google him as he's been in many, many bands. (I think he's touring with sebestian bach at the moment o.O)
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
name: Jason Newsted
band: Flotsam and Jetsam | Metallica
album: Doomsday for the Deceiver "Metalshock" | ...And Justice For All "title song"
why: er.. he is insane?

after listening to Flotsam and Jetsam's Doomsday for the Deceiver i knew why he was chosen to play in Metallica. on many live records the basslines are clearly heard, unlike the justice album.
John Enswithle: The Who..... "My Generation"...... I dont care what everyone says... The who influenced all metal bands and this guy rips considering he was at his prime in the 60's
Steve DiGiorgio is an asshole. When he joined up with Iced Earth before the release of 'Horror Show', he recorded and left just to take the money. So Iced Earth erased him in the promo picture for the album.

It's funny because you can see the band and only the shadow where Steve stood.

But despite that, Steve's a brilliant bassist. His best work was in Death, his jazz band Dark Hall, and Quo Vadis.
Frederique LeClerc
Band: DragonForce
Album: None yet, he hasn't recorded anything with the band. See them live to get the full awesomeness.
Reason: If you can hold down the low end that solidly with two guitars and keybaords soloing like crazy things in the higher registers then you deserve to be one of the greatest Metal bassists.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Woah TheAmaranth calm down there Steve was asked to play for just that album as Jon Schaffer normally does, but any way I would also have to say Steve DiGiorgio on the Horror Show album - Iced Earth (reason) - Excellent role filling, while still standing out with the basslines and the fret-less/tone.

macsek I believe there are better Metallica albums that show Jason Newstead's bass play/writing skills such as the song My Friend of Misery (excellent, chilling intro - the first bass solo I learnt) and the rest of the ''black label'' album.

Oh and I'll add someone else..
David Ellefson
Band : (ex-)Megadeth
Album : Rust in Peace
Reason : Great bass playing in both role filling/rhythm keeping and writing creative basslines that stand out, as well as making good use of his pick playing style (not just using a pick because "its easier" or anything like that).
Quote by Felkara
Frederique LeClerc
Band: DragonForce
Album: None yet, he hasn't recorded anything with the band. See them live to get the full awesomeness.
Reason: If you can hold down the low end that solidly with two guitars and keybaords soloing like crazy things in the higher registers then you deserve to be one of the greatest Metal bassists.

he is utter crap, he can play one note, very fast. for 16 bars, then another. with a pick.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
yeah, as he said Jason wanted to make an instrumental song from that intro, My friend of misery. i mentioned the justice song because it still makes me mad, some 12 years after i first heard it
Quote by mangablade

Forcemaster is right, well ok, Shadows Fall and Trivium aren't techinically metal, they are metalcore, I figured people wouldn't be so picky in here like the hardcore forum. Arguing over what's metal and what's not, what's hardcore and what's not. Fear Before is the only non-metal band but you can hear metal influences in their music so that's why I mentioned them. Techniques like all of theirs can be incorperated into metal even if they aren't "metal" bands.

Who?- Lemmy Kilmster (sp?)
Band- Motohead, duh
Songs/Albums- All of them, duh
Why?- Because he's Lemmy, duh, he used chords and overdrive and played his bass almost like a guitar which helped fill the sonic void left when you're a one guitar band.

that metal enough for you?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Thanks you guys. Yeah, seekdestroy89 is right. If you could put the reason why or what it is that makes them innovative also it would be much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your41Plague12
Song: Frantic Disembowelment, Dead Human Collection

How could i forget frantic disembowelment? that looks like a bitch to learn (judging by the video). i also have to wait to get a 5 string to learn it, because dropping a 4 string to B flat isnt a good idea.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by Forcemaster
technically the bands were metalcore, (even though I don't really consider them that) which is a sub genre of metal and hardcore... so technically... yeah.

im not going to say im a metal forum REGULAR, but i do go there often, and anyone with a shred of respect there will tell you otherwise. No one there wants metalcore bands labeled as metal.

Wether or not you have a point, hundreds of people have the same argument as you and a few come to the forum to tell us about it. we always flame them to death and tell em metalcore sucks yeah thats the metal forum for you.... we rock

BUT ill agree to drop my hate for metalcore for now, because admittedly, metalcore bassist's still usually use a metal style of bass

And amen to that guy who disagreed about DF's bassist. Playing fast never equaled good. You aint a great bassist if you cant hold no groove
name: ryan martiane
band: mudvayne
song: dig

name: jack gibson
band: exodus
song: shroud of urine

name: fieldy
band: korn
song: got the life
I've always liked Johnny Christ of A7X...I mean, he's not the best. But his bass playing does the songs justice most of the time. "The Wicked End" is really cool, though it's not very hard, but it's fun. I'm not one for technicality when it's boring and drab. If it's fun, I like it.
I'm prepared to get flamed for this anyway.
yeah, im sure manga will agree with me on this one that A7X is not metal. theyre also "metal core." they do have a few songs i like though, theyre one of the few metal core bands i will actually listen to. (their older stuff, like waking the fallen). But just a hint, dont go around saying you listen to metal if you listen mainly to bands lie A7X and Trivium. its for your own good
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by Your41Plague12
yeah, im sure manga will agree with me on this one that A7X is not metal. theyre also "metal core." they do have a few songs i like though, theyre one of the few metal core bands i will actually listen to. (their older stuff, like waking the fallen). But just a hint, dont go around saying you listen to metal if you listen mainly to bands lie A7X and Trivium. its for your own good

yeah.

the bottom line: korn, mudvayne, shadows fall, trivium, A7X, ETC.....

are NOT considered metal, especially in the Metal forum of UG. although some members DO listen to metalcore and/or nu-metal as well as metal, if there smart, they'll admit that those arent true metal.

BUT, for the sake of this thread, anything metal, nu metal, metalcore, classic rock bordering on metal (best name i could think of this is for like Black sabbath, who pioneered, some say invented metal, even though they themselves were more like blues doom rockish, or w.e)

so that being said, Geezer Butler (SP?) of Black Sabbath is a great bassist, and on most of the albums you'll see some good stuff,

a must for all beggining to intermediate bassists is NIB, atleast listen to it if not learn it, kick ass bass solo in the beggining. im pretty sure Primus also covered this song. (with bass solo)
nobody posted:
les claypool
Primus
too many puppies
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
are we talking about innovative bassists or which bands technically are and aren't metal?

ehem...

name: John Paul Jones
band: Led Zeppelin (say what you will, they were just as influential for metal as sabbath)
songs: ramble on, the ocean, communication breakdown, dazed and confused, etc
why: one of the last great bassists (IMO) to have a good solid grip on music theory and actually use it in his basslines
Quote by FunkMaster

Name: Geddy Lee
Band: Rush

I will encourage you to first listen to the song "YYZ", you hear some of his skills there. But I can't answer you on if he's very innovative or not.
Quote by seekdestroy83

band: Led Zeppelin (say what you will, they were just as influential for metal as sabbath)

umm just plain no.

Black sabbath was without a doubt the biggest contributor to metal, and some cite it as the band that started all of metal, LZ does not hold that title.

Sure Led Zepp is a great band, but not metal.
Quote by Forcemaster
he is utter crap, he can play one note, very fast. for 16 bars, then another. with a pick.

Actually, that's not all he can do. That's just all Herman Li will let him play. When I last saw DragonForce in February he did this awesome bass solo over Vadim (keyboardist)'s techno beat/solo thingy. It was crazy fast and who cares if he uses a pick, his main instruments are guitar and piano so he's perfectly justified in not using his fingers.

If you're wondering how I know about Herman not letting him (or pretty much any of DragonForce's previous bassists) play more complicated stuff other than root-note-and-simple-fill basslines, look up that interview with him that U-G showed a month or so ago.

Fred's a brilliant musician and you have to look past the basslines in the songs that he hasn't written or had anything to do with their creation.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
Page 1 of 2