hey im 13 and i started playing bass in december last year. i was wondering how im doing with the bass based on how long ive been playing. the most recent thing ive learned is longview by greenday and i know a lot of simpler stuff like money by pink floyd. id like to join a band but i dont want to say im like an expert bassist (which i KNOW im not). how would you rate me and am i behind, infront or about right with what you learned when you started bass? thanks
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
You seem to be doin ok, dont worry too much where you're at, everyone improves at their own pace. But since you seem to be settled into bass now, take the time and learn the things you'll need next:

Techniques: Slap, Tap, pick/fingers = Try to utilize as many as possible, it will make you a better bassist, and more bands / employers will want you playing, because you can play a lot more things than just a straight fingerstyle bassist

Genres: expand your genres beyond your regular playing. Try funk,blues, jazz if you havent, maybe some different kinds of metal/rock if thats the kinda band you wanna be in. This again helps you be versatile.

Theory: learn your scales, keys, etc. This is a must if you want to be a decent musician, and again you have a MUCH better chance of getting a gig/ joining a band.

Exercises: Do finger exercises for both hands, chromatic scales are a standard, but make sure to do major/minor scales too. Maybe work on your 3/4 finger RIGHT hand technique if you feel you might need them in the future.
you're doin alright. at least your not playing just like blink 182 or something like that where you play like 8 of one note than 8 of another and so on. i was alot farther than you, but i had played guitar for 3 years before i picked up bass so i think i might have been ahead of the curve a little. your doin pretty good. i also agree with magnablade on pretty much everything, especially the genres part. exploring different styles of bass will make you a much better player. keep it up.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
ok thats great thanks a lot!
Member #29 of the Fender Armada. Pm Arlabester...
Co-Founder of the UG Hippie Club! PM me or Blynd_Snyper to join!

My Gear:
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Fender Blues Junior Amp
Korg Multi effects pedal
Peavey Millenium Bass
Peavey Bass Amp
ive been playin bass for a like three weeks and im at where you are, im not bragging im just saying you know,... im better
^ That was completely unnecessary and rude, and in no way constructive. and yes, that IS bragging if you're just here to say you're better.
Quote by TheMinors009
ive been playin bass for a like three weeks and im at where you are, im not bragging im just saying you know,... im better

Thats really not very nice

Threadstarter, learn some scales/modes and such and try making up your own things and ask people to give their opinions on them
Longview isn't the most complicated song, but over-all, you're doing pretty good for starting in December. Just remember to practice everyday... Even if you go camping or something, bring your bass and play if you get bored.

Personally, I think being in a band inspired me to practice more and get better. Ever since I joined a band, I've been getting better everyday, not just occasianally.
Quote by ScottyA7XChrist
Longview isn't the most complicated song, but over-all, you're doing pretty good for starting in December. Just remember to practice everyday... Even if you go camping or something, bring your bass and play if you get bored.

Personally, I think being in a band inspired me to practice more and get better. Ever since I joined a band, I've been getting better everyday, not just occasianally.

well i think you get better in a band because you are more open to exsperimenting with toher music, and improving... and yea i guess it coudl inspire you to practice more
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Hey threadstarter, why not ask yourself "Where do I want to go?". You seem to be doing fine and listen to what manga said, that man knows what he is saying.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Aug 3, 2006,
we are all students. some have played longer than others. some are ego driven, i.e.
i'm better. most are not. keep practicing, and try to find other musicians with simular interest's. practice is everything. musical taste's vary. it is my opinion that, simple is better, but thats just me. i feel more power from simple riffs, played with exact timing.
practice and learn everything. playing bass in perfect sync with a decent drummer is paradice for me. we are all students, and nobody graduates from this school. we just can't wait, until the next class begins. welcome aboard!
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
we are all students. some have played longer than others. some are ego driven, i.e.
i'm better. most are not. keep practicing, and try to find other musicians with simular interest's. practice is everything. musical taste's vary. it is my opinion that, simple is better, but thats just me. i feel more power from simple riffs, played with exact timing.
practice and learn everything. playing bass in perfect sync with a decent drummer is paradice for me. we are all students, and nobody graduates from this school. we just can't wait, until the next class begins. welcome aboard!

Amen to that.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.