well im torn between buying two amps...... I play a great variety of music. Blink 182, AFI, The Cure, U2, The Cars, Jeff Beck, The Beatles but no metal. wich out of these two amps is the most versatile. i have tried the AC30CC but not the HRD. I was planning on buying a maxon od-9 just so people dont say "You need an Overdrive Pedal".
AC30 for classic rock for sure
the fender is better for cleans
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
i own the ac30 and have played the hot rod

ok this is whats going down

ac30 has a better crunch than the hotrod, and ac30 has a better clean then the hotrod

hotrod has a little better heavy distortion

look at the twin instead of the hot rod ac30 beats hotrod any day in my opinion but the twin its all about what you like more clean tone or crunch. the ac30 has great clean for eric johnson type stuff and amazing crunch for like ac/dc type stuff, the who, jeff beck, u2 etc.
Gibson LesPaul Standard 1958 Custom Shop
Fender Stratocaster 70s Reissue
Charvel-Jackson Vintage Acoustic
Vox ac30
ac30 was the best thing i ever bought guitar wise. improved my tone much better, and when your trying it out ask a guy about it becuase theres a weird way to change to the crunch channel in the back, and you should try it out at high volumes you'll be so much more impressed.
Vox ac30
and if you wanted to say use the ac30 for metal or what have you, you switch the thing in the back to the modern and switch to the clean channel and use a distortion pedal it sounds great.
Vox ac30
yeah i would say the ac30 would be your best amp you could buy in that price range, and you'll end up being so impressed with it that it'll be an amp you own for the rest of your life.
Vox ac30
I love the AC30 but you have to really crank it. Its not the best at cleans, they arent bad though
Its one channel too (if you can deal with that) and they have a HUGE tendency to break but they do have good tonnee!

The Fender has amazing cleans but not as strong distortion (but if you get a maxon then thats taken care of) Im not quite as familiar with this amp

Theyre both really nice amps. But i STRONGLY suggest you go to a local shop and try them both without and preconcieved thoughts or bias. See what you like and buy what sounds good to you (they both are great amps so its just up to your personal preference)

What kind of gigs are you playing?
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
go to the shop and try them both. Also look into some traynors. The fender's od channel is awful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
go to the shop and try them both. Also look into some traynors. The fender's od channel is awful.

My words exactly.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
AC30 all the Way!!!! haha. i think the clean is much better then the hot rod...i owned both so i should know. I like the older 3 channel ac30s better though. You have to get an ABY pedal so you can switch sounds. The dirty on the ac30 is pretty sweet to. all around its a sick amp.
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
Quote by JET116
they have a HUGE tendency to break

lets not go crazy, they are more known for being hard to work on and that translates from person to person like the telephone game where things get exagerated over time
^ Dude i love the AC30....i have one. They have great tone

However it is true that they are famous for thier bad quality control and tendency to break. The tubes have been known to explode and though they have been owned by 6 companies since they began (and are under Korg now) and their reliability has not improved
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
AC30 wipes the floor with just about anything I've played short of boutique amps. I heart Vox.
AC30 is way better.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Ac30 probably is the best amp ever. I really want to buy it but I'm a metalhead
AC30 is a lot better then the Hot Rod, cleans are nicer sounding (although different sounding, and the Fender's cleans are amazing too) and the AC30's overdrive channel is just great.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i have one they are very reliable never broke down on me, overdrive is great don't have to crank it too high to get soem nice tube distortion
Vox ac30