I just moved to a new area so I don't really do much except play guitar all day. My mom wants me to join marching band, but I didn't want to, so she offered to buy me a $1000 guitar if I joined.

So now I'm in band, which guitar and amp would you guys suggest for about 1200$ ( i have 200 myself)

I like to play metal such as metallica, dream theater, carcass, children of bodom, pantera, etc...
wow, congrats. yeah same here.
i wouls suggest a randy rhoads v with a crate amp! works for me!
my gear:
zack wylde les paul custom
randy rhoads v custom
120 watt crate amp
505 zoom processor
ibanez weeping demon wah

"no one you can tell, for youve been raptured to hell"
-me
dont get a crate amp, crates arent that good. the low price solid states sound like poop, and the more upper priced ones sound worse then other amps of the same price.
lucky son of a bitch
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
if not a crate, go for a krank or marshall
my gear:
zack wylde les paul custom
randy rhoads v custom
120 watt crate amp
505 zoom processor
ibanez weeping demon wah

"no one you can tell, for youve been raptured to hell"
-me
NOT Krank. If you want a nice amp for metal, get either a Mesa/Boogie or Marshall!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Get some sort of LTD with a Mesa Boogie amp.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Ibanez RG 1570 and a used/bought off Ebay Peavey XXX combo amp?
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Last edited by Cone 21 at Aug 2, 2006,
My personal taste is ibanez or fender.

I wish you the best of luck!
Mental Transmissions
-Coming Soon to Podcast-
Email:MentalTransmissions@gmail.com

Quote by Dudage

SPELL SOME WORDS.
It doesn't take that much effort to write out words in thier entirety.
d00 u undrstnd wht 1'm s4ying 2 u?

#3 - UG Evanescence F-Club
Peavey XXX + LTD of some sort. An EMG 60 is preferable as it will have nice cleans for marching band.
haha
I'd say... spend about 1000-800 on the amp and the rest on the guitar since 90% of your tone will come out of the amp not the guitar..
Anways I would suggest a Engl Screamer or some used mesa perhaps a F-30/F-50 Combo.(this is if you care about good clean tones)
But if you don't care about nice cleans I'd say take 500-600 of the money you got and buy a 5150 combo used from ebay. Then you can buy a nice guitar too!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Peavey XXX + LTD of some sort. An EMG 60 is preferable as it will have nice cleans for marching band.

I'm not playing guitar in band.

I was thinking about getting a Hellraiser FR.

That give me like 500 or so for an amp.
Quote by Iliketapping
I'd say... spend about 1000-800 on the amp and the rest on the guitar since 90% of your tone will come out of the amp not the guitar..

I absolutely 100% disagree with that statement
Schecter C-1
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by carterb
I absolutely 100% disagree with that statement

You're absolutely 100% a fucking moron.

I'd get the best amp you can get from your mom's money, cuz it'll sound killer with any guitar. You can save up and get a AWESOME guitar for 400 or 500 (and more of course) whereas most 400 dollar amps will sound like a pig's orgasm.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I'd get the best amp you can get from your mom's money, cuz it'll sound killer with any guitar. You can save up and get a AWESOME guitar for 400 or 500 (and more of course) whereas most 400 dollar amps will sound like a pig's orgasm.

I dont disagree that the should spend a lot on the amp, I disagree that 90% of your tone comes from your amp. I mean, he is playing metal and metalcore so unless you have good hands everything he plays is going to sound like a buzzing mess
Quote by carterb
I dont disagree that the should spend a lot on the amp, I disagree that 90% of your tone comes from your amp. I mean, he is playing metal and metalcore so unless you have good hands everything he plays is going to sound like a buzzing mess

The number is a crapshoot (So are most numbers given statistically), but the majority of your SOUND comes from the amp.

I can give James Hetfield an Agile AL-3000 or whatever and have him play through his rig (For this case let's say Mesa Dual Recto even though he's got a lot more going on). He'd still sound James Hetfield.

Now, let's say I gave James Hetfield one of his custom ESPs, but had him play through, let's say, a Fender Blues Jr. with the gain all the way up.

Will he sound like Jaymz hetfield then? I doubt it.
haha
I agree

but he said tone **NOT** sound
Last edited by carterb at Aug 2, 2006,
I agree with them spend like 1000 on the amp and save up some more for a guitar. Even a crappy guitar will sound awesome on a real high end amp. Hey its how they fool new people into buying horrible guitars.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
The number is a crapshoot (So are most numbers given statistically), but the majority of your SOUND comes from the amp.

I can give James Hetfield an Agile AL-3000 or whatever and have him play through his rig (For this case let's say Mesa Dual Recto even though he's got a lot more going on). He'd still sound James Hetfield.

Now, let's say I gave James Hetfield one of his custom ESPs, but had him play through, let's say, a Fender Blues Jr. with the gain all the way up.

Will he sound like Jaymz hetfield then? I doubt it.

maybe, but if you gave james hetfield a piece of **** guitar, his playing wouldnt be so good. so no, his tone would be affected and he wouldnt sound like james hetfield necessarily.
Quote by andyroo_g
maybe, but if you gave james hetfield a piece of **** guitar, his playing wouldnt be so good. so no, his tone would be affected and he wouldnt sound like james hetfield necessarily.

I think most players with 30 or so years of experienced won't be slowed down by a low quality guitar. That's like saying Steve Vai won't pwn you if you give him an SX.
haha
maybe. but in response to your earlier point, the amount of equipment that is in front of hetfields amp would kill anything coming out of the guitar anyway. if its just guitar plugged into amp it does make quite a large difference.

you can see an example of it when you change pickup positions/tone dial/pup type/whatever
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Did you know a pig has orgasms for about an hour? haha
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
Well, I would really like to upgrade my guitar. I still have a ****ty behringer starter pack.

And I don't know ANYTHING about amps. At all.

I want to make sure I spend this money well.
we cant tell you what to buy. we all have different ears and all like different things. you have to go to a store and try things out and see what you like. then when you see what you like, come on the forums and ask about the amps you like, instead of us telling you what to like cause youre just gonan get confused when you suddenly have mesa fans and marshall fans and xxx fans and 5150 fans telling you their fav amp pwns most
Spend $1000 combined on t he amp and guitar. Use the $200 you have saved to buy EFX.

Have Fun!
The best gear I could recommend to you is...

1) An Ibanez RG1570

2) Peavey Valveking/Traynor YCV50 Blue

Don't just walk into guitar center and ask for an amp. The sales person will take advantage of your ignorance, and make you stuck with something you're unhappy with, just so they could fufill their inventory. They don't sell Traynor or Peavey at guitarcenter, as far as I know, and you may have to do some research to get one.

Marching band is terrible dude. Join jazz band so you can do what you really want: play guitar. (not that I know what you want)

And by the way...

Tone = 25% Amp. 25% Guitar. 50% You.
Guitar influence your tone too. That's why a hollow body sounds different then a Les Paul or Stratocaster or vice versa. With a Marshall and Fender amp set to clean, the change of guitars would equally change your tone if you were to change amps with the same guitar. Why do you think Slash uses a Les Paul and Marshall, and Jimi Hendrix used a Stratocaster and Marshall?
^ Yes little kiddo of course that is true BUT if you used your brain a bit more than your fingers you would understand that the MOST TONE COME FROM THE AMP! Got it?
Sure tone also comes from fingers/guitar but most tone come from the amp.
If you still don't understand I suggest you try a Les Paul and a strat through a 15w MG marshall and then try the guitars through a Mesa Boogie Stiletto.
Now, hopefully you will agree with my opinions and the world will be happy forever.
If you won't I will declare you as a helpless idiot that none will come near.