Which is better the Marshall MG100HDFX Head or the Line6 Spider II 150 Watt Head?

Marshall has the reputation and if i could afford a tube amp i'd buy one however the Marshall solid states don't have such a good rep. I've head nothing but good things about the Spider.

I play Metal and Classic Rock mainly.

I have a budget of 200 pounds, if you guys know of anything better please let me know.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
HAHA well....depends on what you want to say "better" is. Both heads really have a bad reputation. I honestly don't care for either head. To be honest though, why in the heck do you need 150 watts? I'd honestly rather take the MG over that, but shoot if you can afford one of the Vox modeling amps, go with that instead.
2003 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop (Limited Edition guitar #71 out of 250)
Marshall JCM2000 TSL-100
Marshall 1960 slant cab
Boss pedals
Crybaby wah

www.myspace.com/guitarplayinsmit
Unless you have a gig or something coming up in the future, it couldn't hurt to just save up and buy a marshall tube amp. That way you won't have to upgrade again.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Neither, they're both complete crap.

Marshall solid states are utter crap. They're very muddy, and the distortion channel is god-awful.

The Line 6 Spyder series is also horrible. It's very vold and arteficial sounding.

I'd reccomend that you save up for a tube combo. Or buy a Vox AD60VT.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by TheFluffy
Tube combo.

Wow, that's a useless post. Your not even reccomending one, your just stating a noun. Next time try to use an entire sentance when helping someone.

The Vox ADVT series does have preamp tubes, but it really doesn't affect the sound much, it's more of a gimmick.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
the one you get from your girlfriend is the better head,but seriously they both suck but if you have to choose go for the Line 6
Quote by crzywhiteboy
the one you get from your girlfriend is the better head,but seriously they both suck but if you have to choose go for the Line 6

haha, when i saw the title of this thread, i knew someone smart would say something like that.
Made me smile, thanks. I'm more inclined toward the Spider because they seem to get better reviews. I played on of the original combos and i like it because it was easy to use.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
the spider is better if you dont care about your guitar sounding like a synth and like to play around bad quality effects and modulations.

the mg is better if you like better tone than the spider but dont care if your guitar sounds like a synth

meh... both are kinda... meh...
Unless you get a really good deal and really tried and liked teh spider dont get it. Get a kustom quad 100 dfx head instead if your looking for solid state.

The only people giving the spider good reviews are mostly people who dont know better or just trying to feel better about a bad purchase
You can't go on reviews alone though. If you did like the Spider combo, then get one if you want to spend the money on it. But I would agree that if you could afford to save up for one and wait a bit, get a tube amp so that you won't want one in another year or so after getting the Spider head.
2003 Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop (Limited Edition guitar #71 out of 250)
Marshall JCM2000 TSL-100
Marshall 1960 slant cab
Boss pedals
Crybaby wah

www.myspace.com/guitarplayinsmit
I've heard the Spider Line 6 before, and it sounds awesome IMO. I haven't heard the Marshall, but like people have said, it'd be better to save up for a tube combo.
what music do you play, and what's your total budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Chimaira
Wow, that's a useless post. Your not even reccomending one, your just stating a noun. Next time try to use an entire sentance when helping someone.

The Vox ADVT series does have preamp tubes, but it really doesn't affect the sound much, it's more of a gimmick.

WRONG!!!!!! the tubes is used to as the overdriving. It acts just like a tube amp. its not a tube amp, it just pretends its one. the higher the volume, the more the overdrive. I usually turned master up to max and then used the volume for level of distortion and then used the gain for volume. just like a real tube amp works
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
They're both terrible, terrible amps, don't bother with them.

Get a decent valve combo.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
....Are you gigging?

Hell no to both. If you want a head then get a Epiphone head for 100 it blows those two out of the water. Just get a tube combo, look into traynor
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by downtime
WRONG!!!!!! the tubes is used to as the overdriving. It acts just like a tube amp. its not a tube amp, it just pretends its one. the higher the volume, the more the overdrive. I usually turned master up to max and then used the volume for level of distortion and then used the gain for volume. just like a real tube amp works

Not really. An all tube amp uses several tubes in both the pre-amp and power amp stages. A hybrid has a single tube in only the pre-amp stage (if I remember correctly)
The difference in tone is insignificant.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Seriously, just two vavle juniors, and a stereo avatar 4x12. Better than any solid-state in the price range.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?