Okay, so I am ordering a vintage Epiphone 12-string acoustic of eBay, and when it arrives, I plan on putting a new set of strings on it, but after doing some research, I found out that because of the extra 6 strings on it, it adds alot more tension to the guitar, so I was wondering what guage I should use for the 12-string that I plan on having in standard tuning. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
.9's on an acoustic? Are you sure?
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
If it was made for 12 strings, it can handle 12 strings.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
i used 10s on my old 12 string and i still couldnt get it up to standard
PM me for
I use 12s and tune mine down to DGCFAD. It was made in the 70s, so I don't want to push it really. Even now it has a slight bulge behind the bridge (which is always the case). Next time I string it up I am going to look at 10s and try and tune it up to standard. I like the 12s cause I can tune it lower, and it sounds great tuned low. Also, it gives me a lot more volume as it allows me to strum quite a bit more. I'd say try 10s on an old 12 string; you should be able to go up to standard, but don't push it.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Be Sure to be careful when tuning up the octave G-string that youre not using to thick of a guage. The Octave G has the highest tendency to break. It happened to me two times.
I generally use 10's on my 12 strings, but on my 1972 Alvarez, I use 8's. Its a "I don't want the bridge to pop in 2 or the top to belly on it type of "precaution". I still have a special place in my heart for that old guitar. It was the very first one I bought myself. Took me all summer to make the money to buy it too.
^ Where do you get 8s for an acoustic 12 string? or do you use Ernie Ball electric 12 strings?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by Calum_Barrow
^ Where do you get 8s for an acoustic 12 string? or do you use Ernie Ball electric 12 strings?

I just grabbed a new pack out of the box of them I bought. They're Dean Markley 80/20 Bronze, .8 through .46 guage. Should have cost $8.65 per set, but seeing as I bought a box of 12 sets, I got them for $40.00 for the box.
I have a set of 9's on mine, and it works perfectly fine.
A lot more time-consuming when your tuning though.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean