How to you go abotu doing this?

I cannot tune my guitar by ear so i was wondering if theres and helpful advance to learning how. I know the 5th fret should be the same pitch as the next string... and etc, but how do you figure out the tune of the 6th string( low E) ?
unless you have perfect pitch, you really cant get that first string perfectly correct. if you can tune by ear well enough to get it in perfect relative tune, then all you need is a tuning fork. get one for A, then tune your A string to it. then tune from there.

also, try the tuning thread in the guitar and bass basics forum.
thats not to easy to do, I cant do it so good, often gets ½ step lower or higher. its just something you have to learn. play it a few times and try to memorize that tone.

you can also tune your guitar first and then play a few chords after eachother and if you know exactly how the song should be then you will notice if the pitch is to high or low
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
yep tuning fork will do the trick
my gear=
<ludwig 7 piece set, 6 cymbals>
<dw 3000 double kicks>
<ibanez sz>
<fender stratacoustic>
<yamaha synth>
<godin freeway 4 bass>
<digitech rp80>
<custom 100w tech 21 amp>
<fender frontman 15b amp>
I've been trying something I think is called pure tuning by using harmonics on the 5th and 12th fret. I read an article and although I do not have perfect pitch I can get it to sound pretty good as long as my E string is okay it works out fine and helps me get a better ear.
Member of the No-Testicles Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
(")_(") ~((_))~ ....The bunny is winning....
o o
I tune by ear all the time. As a matter of fact, I haven't used a tuner in years. At band practice, the bassist will tune to E standard, give me an E note, and I'll tune my E to him. Using that, I'll tune the rest of the strings using the harmonic overtones of the rest of the strings until the frequency discrepencies between two adjacent strings can no longer be heard.
tuners make it take longer than using your ear, its just getting the first string perfectly,
but if you know that any one string is tuned perfectly, say 4th string G. you can tune the rest also, by using the 7th fret for the strings going up, and 4th for B string, as normal
- tommy
If you get an 'E' from someone else (no laughing, kiddies), you can then tune up the rest of the guitar accurately; the 5th fret on the low E string should sound the same as the open A string, the 5th fret A string should sound the same as the open D string, the 5th fret D string should sound the same as the open G string, the 4th fret G string should sound the same as the open B string, and the 5th fret B string should sound the same as the open high E string.

Another, easier way is to use the natural harmonic at the 5th fret on the lower string, and the 7th fret on the one above. They should sound the same. This is easer to judge because there aren't so many overtones to muddy things. But this method doesn't work for the B string.

Helpful?
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
I never ever use tuners, they make it take longer, and the guitar normally sounds more out of tune. I always tune by ear, infact I may have perfect pitch

Well I can recognise a note that is played and say what it is.