I'm going to be playing the Star Spangled Banner at a school softball game. I was wondering if you guys had any good advice on mixing it up, you know just playing it a little different. I like how boston played it, but I don't know how they did it. Anyway, just any tips on making it interesting would be cool. Thanks.
maybe just some distortion...might not wanna go crazy with it cause people are nuts these days and will be offended by anything.
One of my friends does HUGE sounding extended sweeping parts in it and it sounds ****in' Insane!
Quote by Zawa122188
metz has it right man

Member of CRM (Classic Rock Movement)
PM ZeppelinFan3890 for info or to join

+ =

Member of the UG Conservative Party. PM cagnius to join.
Well, I'm already tuned down a half step, and I like the Super distortion. I don't care much about offending people by being myself (Being insulting is another matter). I don't wanna do it like Hendrix did, but just something that is just kick ass.

I'm probably gonna get made fun of for asking this but, what is sweep picking that MetzBlaze is talking about.

^NVM, Just checked lessons section.

Anyway, waht kind of variations do you guys play?
Last edited by jackson001 at Aug 2, 2006,
Play it right but just give it some soul with bends, grace notes and vibrato in the right places.

Then go straight into Purple Haze.
Instead of doing a "hey look i can deliberatley distort guitar chords to make it sound egdey!" Play a classy version, with just the right amount of bends, slides, and wankery to make it sound splendid.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
ledzep there isn't anything wrong with classy, I just prefer distortion.

MetalMilitia, I don't think I could possibly play Wylde's version at my level, I liked it though. Besides I'd probably get shot by the rednecks. This performance will be in Oklahoma after all.
Last edited by jackson001 at Aug 2, 2006,
Play the Vai version (look it up on YouTube), it owns the Zakk version.

I'm working on my own version right now for our homecoming game.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
well i put a tremeolo and distorotion, i actaully kind of want to offend people......because well i hate war.....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Make sure your tone is warm, above all. If you're going to use distortion, don't scoop the mids, EQ well! If you want feedback up the volume, not the gain. I did it for homecoming, used a fuzz, a chorus, and an analog echo (because we were outside). For such a powerful song, you want a big wall of sound...

Oh yeah, I also have a volume pedal and a wah for expression.

As far as the version I played, I kinda did my own thing. I started off with 20 seconds of improv in the same key with a sweeped run at the end that lands on the first note. I added muted notes and accents... harmonized with double stops. It wasn't choppy, there was good phrasing. Ended with feedback...

You can't really think about it, as long as you know the notes you can mess around.
Quote by jackson001
ledzep there isn't anything wrong with classy, I just prefer distortion.

MetalMilitia, I don't think I could possibly play Wylde's version at my level, I liked it though. Besides I'd probably get shot by the rednecks. This performance will be in Oklahoma after all.

to each his own But to clarify i didnt mean you should play it clean, I meant you should get light/medium OD/Dist and play it soulfullly. I guarentee you will sound horrid if you play it with say like the Digitech Metal Zone pedal with the gain turned to 10, and just try to wank your way through it.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
Well I came up with a version I think is awesome. lots of sliding, and dropped 1 octave. I was told I ought to play it at a blazers or redhawks game.

P.S.

What's the best way to create vibrato on fretted notes (especially on the end strings, the high and low Es)?
EX:
-------5-------------------------
---------------------------------
---------------------5-----------