to become a better blues guitarist, what is it that i should know
so far a learned to what i think is the blues scale
and it is a process me learning slide (i got to get a new one at this point i stepped on my last one by accident)
but its like what should i learn?
i dont have the money to pay someone to teach me theory
what should i know to be a proficient blues player?
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Ok, so this is the basic blues scale fingering( let's say in A):

e--------------------------------------------------------------5---8l
B------------------------------------------------------5---8--------l
G----------------------------------------5----7---8----------------l
D-----------------------------5---7---------------------------------l
A---------------5---6---7-------------------------------------------l
E------5---8--------------------------------------------------------l

So basically, you would use this scale over an A blues progression. If you were soloing in G, you'd start on the third fret of the sixth string but you would still use the same pattern. This should get you started in the right direction. If you would like to study further into blues, i suggest buying a book and studying out of that, or just saving up for an instructor. Hope this has helped.

~ Travis
What do you already know? Do you know the following:

- Minor pentatonic (or with an added b5, the blues scale)
- Modal playing (in blues this mostly means playing Mixolydian over each chord)
- Chord creation
- Chord substitution
- Tension and release
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Theory wise learn the 12 bar blues.

But, really, to play the blues, you have to understand the blues. You need to listen to the blues, you need to feel your music. The difference between a 'generic' guitarist bending an A note up a step and say SRV doing it is, SRV bends it with alot more passion and emotion then the 'generic' guitarist. Now, perhaps your next question is how to play with emotion, and there isn't really an answer. You have to discover how to play with emotion, because there is no step by step guide on how to do it.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
One of the most dificult and vital things is the blues and in any style of music is Vibrato and bending. I think it is arguable that vibrato is one of the hardest things to do on the guitar.
Quote by cubedeathk
One of the most dificult and vital things is the blues and in any style of music is Vibrato and bending. I think it is arguable that vibrato is one of the hardest things to do on the guitar.

Yes!! Yes! Vibrato is very important, as with bends, both are very important in blues.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by elvenkindje
What do you already know? Do you know the following:

- Minor pentatonic (or with an added b5, the blues scale)
- Modal playing (in blues this mostly means playing Mixolydian over each chord)
- Chord creation
- Chord substitution
- Tension and release

i only know the minor pentatonic and currently i'm working on slide

so do you have any sites or insite that you can share with me on those
especially the modal playing because i'm not sure what that is
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
1) Look up the Dorian and Mixolydian modes, and practice adding notes from those scales into your solos.

2) Learn some arpeggios based around the chords of a blues progression - especially the dom7 ones, and practice targetting those notes within your solos.

3) Practice building up the tension, adding chromatic notes, and releasing it, returing to your chord tones.

For starters.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
Quote by metaljunkie
i only know the minor pentatonic and currently i'm working on slide

so do you have any sites or insite that you can share with me on those
especially the modal playing because i'm not sure what that is

Well, I'm pretty sure there's a huge article about blues playing in either the archives or the lessons part Just look around
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
im playing the guitar for 7 months and i know to play welcome to the jungle perfect ; harvester of sorrow very good; boulevard of broken dreams perfect; talk perfect; be yourself perfect; and i can also tap fast; and now im working on seek and destroy. can anyone tell me if my progression so far is good considering the fact that i dont have a teacher and that most of the learning i did it my self and if i should get a teacher to perfect my technique.
Quote by the outlaw
and what neo-clasical metal elements i can incorporate in my solos
In a blues solo? Come back at look at your post when you're sober.

I suppose you could do diminished stuff over the V chord for kind of a harmonic minor sound.

EX. You're playing A blues. You get to the E7 chord. Play a G# diminished apreggio.