Alright guys, I've been playing for almost four months now. I know five or six different songs, I can hammer on and pull off, I know the technique for slap and pop, I can mute, blah, blah, but I have a simple question: How do I implement scales into my playing? Playing scales that just descend and then ascend are just boring if you ask me, so, how do I make them more interesting, and use them to my advantage, instead of just playing descending notes?
dont just go up and down scales. thats boring. just simply, use the notes in a scale. if ur playing in g maj, just improvise using the notes in the scale. get used to, and learn, the sounds and locations of the different intervals within scales.

and read up on lots of theory
i need to get a better signature.
You can play any note sequence in the scale. It doesn't have to be in high-low order or vice-versa.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
use arpegios (3rd 4th and 5th notes of the root note)
also geddy lee has an awsome riff wher he uses the 5th and 1st notes like this
(say its in G)
|-------------------------
|------55--5----------
|----5----5---5-------
|--3---------------------
then moves up to a new note
my rig
Squire strat affinity series, chrome red
Fender jazz bass, sunburst
custom made bass, natural (forget who made it)
Roland jazz chorus 50
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal
and I only use purple dunlop tortex picks
Quote by MustangMan311
Alright guys, I've been playing for almost four months now. I know five or six different songs, I can hammer on and pull off, I know the technique for slap and pop, I can mute, blah, blah, but I have a simple question: How do I implement scales into my playing? Playing scales that just descend and then ascend are just boring if you ask me, so, how do I make them more interesting, and use them to my advantage, instead of just playing descending notes?

OK, firstly, dont think you can hammer and pull-off and mute properly, because i bet you cant. Four months is a pubic hair on the body that is Bass playing. You need to absolutely solid on a technique before you should convince yourself you can do it. Slapping and Popping takes years to get down to a point where i would say "I can now slap and pop effectively and fluently".

Now, you say "I know how to play five or six different songs" and then say "How can implement scales into my playing".

You're answering your own question, dude. Songs are scales jumbled up, nothing more, nothing less. Just take a scale, say Major, and play the root, octave, b7th, 5th in some sort of order, startintg on the root. There, you have yourself a bassline..

Scales are only good for practice to get your chops up. This should be only a part of your practice routine.. Try and be musical with the scales, so even though you are playing scales ascending and descending, try some different phrasing to the standard do-re-me-fa-so-la-te-do.

Also, practice your scales in 2nds', 3rds, 4ths and 5ths. If you dont know what a 4th or a 5th is, look it up and try and understand scale positions