The amount of time I practcie has just jumped. I've been playing for a little over two years now and in the beginning I practiced alot, maybe 6-8 hours per day. I enjoyed playing guitar so much. Then as my guitar playing progressed, I gradually stopped practicing as much until my practice times were around 2-3 hours per day or 1-2 hours per day. Sometimes I didn't even play for a day or two.

Anyway, for the past few days my practice has jumped right back up. I'm practicing 8 or 9 hours per day (It's the summer holidays, I don't have a job) and all my passion and enthusiasm has come back to guitar. I have no idea why though. I haven't got any new equipment, just the same pieces of shite I've had for the past two years. I can't think of an explanation, but I'm glad this spark has come back again and I'm able to practice for hours on end.

Has anything like this ever happened to you guys?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Not so much with practicing, but with improvising, it has. Perhaps you mistake those two for eachother, because with practicing, I get the idea that you're constantly working on technique and tbh, I don't see anyone working 8 hours on their technique

But ehm, yes, it has happened.. I had one of those moments today, when everything I played just fell into place. I knew how the notes sounded before I played them and I knew how to get to those notes That is the beauty of it all, I guess.. No more scales, techniques, arpeggio's, modes.. Just magic
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
Not so much with practicing, but with improvising, it has. Perhaps you mistake those two for eachother, because with practicing, I get the idea that you're constantly working on technique and tbh, I don't see anyone working 8 hours on their technique

But ehm, yes, it has happened.. I had one of those moments today, when everything I played just fell into place. I knew how the notes sounded before I played them and I knew how to get to those notes That is the beauty of it all, I guess.. No more scales, techniques, arpeggio's, modes.. Just magic

steve vai would sometimes practice 15 or 18 hours a day
Quote by elvenkindje

Improvising is still practicing.

Man, not to go off topic but I cannot get how you guys can practice for 6 hours a day. I love guitar believe me, but there is no way I can sit down and practice that long. Its mind-boggling. Don't you go outside or have chores to do?

Anywho, with me guitar practice for me has never been forced. I simply play when I want to. Sometimes I'll go one or two days without playing at all. I get inspiried to play guitar rather easily, so I just play when I got inspiried or motivated. However, if I'm not inspiried or motivated, I don't bother because I find that the longer breaks that I take from guitar, the more creativeness I have when I come back to it.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Quote by FenderWh0re
Man, not to go off topic but I cannot get how you guys can practice for 6 hours a day. I love guitar believe me, but there is no way I can sit down and practice that long. Its mind-boggling. Don't you go outside or have chores to do?

I find time to do other things aorund the house etc. I said I play for 8 hours, I'm awake for 15-18. I haven't seen my friends for the past few days anyway, because they're busy. I don't force myself to pratice, I just enjoy it.

Yea typically I like to stretch for an hour to get pumped so I dont hurt myself during my grueling 12 hour practice sessions in which I keep my metronome to 250 the entire time. I then meditate on a single note for about an hour, I rotate around the twelve notes spending a week on each. I then go through and listen to myself playing, (I record myself.) for about an hour. Then spend the next hour improving on what I heard in that tape. I do this six days a week and leave Sunday for revitalization and relaxation.
Quote by cubedeathk
Yea typically I like to stretch for an hour to get pumped so I dont hurt myself during my grueling 12 hour practice sessions in which I keep my metronome to 250 the entire time. I then meditate on a single note for about an hour, I rotate around the twelve notes spending a week on each. I then go through and listen to myself playing, (I record myself.) for about an hour. Then spend the next hour improving on what I heard in that tape. I do this six days a week and leave Sunday for revitalization and relaxation.

Don't abuse the thread.

Quote by Smokey Amp
I find time to do other things aorund the house etc. I said I play for 8 hours, I'm awake for 15-18. I haven't seen my friends for the past few days anyway, because they're busy. I don't force myself to pratice, I just enjoy it.

Yeah, thats cool. I still think its impressive to play for that long.

So when you practice, do you jam mostly or work on technique? I find that in my practices I mostly jam/improsive or write riffs/chord progessions.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by FenderWh0re
Yeah, thats cool. I still think its impressive to play for that long.

So when you practice, do you jam mostly or work on technique? I find that in my practices I mostly jam/improsive or write riffs/chord progessions.

It really varies. In the 8 hours I'll work on my technique (Playing other band's songs or creating my own etudes), or if I feel creative I'll start to write. I usually enjoy to create a slow backing track and then slowly solo over the top of it, with fast breaks of technique in between. It helps for my technique and creativity.

Sometimes, I'll dedicate some practice time to studying theory books and applying it to the guitar. Either way, I'm doing something to improve my abilities as a musician. Toaday's practice was admittedly mainly about my technique, I worked on my chops for a good few hours. But, like I said, it depends.

Quote by Smokey Amp
It really varies. In the 8 hours I'll work on my technique (Playing other band's songs or creating my own etudes), or if I feel creative I'll start to write. I usually enjoy to create a slow backing track and then slowly solo over the top of it, with fast breaks of technique in between. It helps for my technique and creativity.

Sometimes, I'll dedicate some practice time to studying theory books and applying it to the guitar. Either way, I'm doing something to improve my abilities as a musician. Toaday's practice was admittedly mainly about my technique, I worked on my chops for a good few hours. But, like I said, it depends.

Yeah, the backing track thing is a good idea, my favorite thing to do is play lead over backing tracks. Ok well I'll stop replying and let other people talk. haha.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

I actually need some help to get motivated...I haven't felt the need/want to play guitar in a week or two..I feel crummy. Can someone help me? please?
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
I actually need some help to get motivated...I haven't felt the need/want to play guitar in a week or two..I feel crummy. Can someone help me? please?

Like I said, I don't know how it came about, I just felt like practicing, so I did.

Although, watching videos of guitarists I aspire to be, or the levels they play at also keeps me motivated. Watch a video fo a guitarist who is "good" in your eyes, it may just motivate you. That's the only real synthetic kind of motivation I can give you.

hm..I'll try it...I'll learn a solo or something.

Does anyone know any solo's that don't require the e string? mine snapped.
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
hm..I'll try it...I'll learn a solo or something.

Does anyone know any solo's that don't require the e string? mine snapped.

Hmm, there's not many. What level of soloing would you say you are at?

Quote by sexy-man
steve vai would sometimes practice 15 or 18 hours a day

Do you really believe that?

And if it dó happens to be true, that would be a MAJOR exception. I do NOT know of anyone who can focus on something for hours on an end, and neither do you.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by Smokey Amp
Hmm, there's not many. What level of soloing would you say you are at?

haha, WAY beginner.
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo

What motivated you to play guitar in the first place?

Are there any songs that make give you chills down your spine?

Are there any guitar riffs that you think are so completely badass?

You have to find stuff that inspires you.
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'

Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
haha, WAY beginner.

Um, try the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo? Or is that too easy?

let me look at it...I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Alright, yeah I checked it out...it's too easy...you got any other ideas? Thanks for the help my friend.
Last edited by Morgan_the_Homo at Aug 2, 2006,
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo
let me look at it...I'll get back to you.

EDIT: Alright, yeah I checked it out...it's too easy...you got any other ideas? Thanks for the help my friend.

Well, first of all, tell me what kind of music/bands you're into. I don't want to recommend solos you don't like playing.

I like punk. But, they don't normally solo...and when they do, it's really easy stuff...so the style of music doesn't really matter. I like all kinds.
I use to play for 6-8 hours id even get up at 5 AM and play before school but it has slowed down to about 3-4 just because I lack a band and theres not much more I can really learn without playing with other people. Its also fustrating not being able to record what you play so you can share it with others. Wow Vai went 15-18? Thats too much your mind would never be able to function on that I noticed if I play little a day the next day I kick ass because it feels so fresh and new and I get into it alot because I am not use to it. You also have to have a life, you have to experience emotion in order to apply it to your music and you have to feel other peoples emotions when you study their songs. 15-18 blows me away thats just crazy, vai always did look like a Meth freak.
Yes, but I have a job. This is bad, because it means I go to bed at 3:30 AM and wake up at 9 to go to work.
I usually play for an hour, then take a break, and listen to music, then I go back for another hour. Or if I'm writing, I try to finish the the song.
epiphone LP Custom
No amp yet, I just got back in the game.
Had a Gibson LP Studio, Mex Tele, Mex Strat, Blues Deville, and mg50. But thanx to my lovely wife, not locking the door, they all vanished
I 'play' up to about 3 hours a day in the holidays, but I don't count that as practicing, cos it's really just pointless noodling. For me I practice properly about 50 minutes a day, but that's really structured practice, with scales, arpeggios, grade pieces, and sight reading (I do classical guitar, and I'm preparing for an exam).

I write songs and play over backing tracks, but I've never really thought of it as practice.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by Morgan_the_Homo

I feel like that a lot lately, it's really pissing me off.

I try to have practice routines and all the other stuff that everyone on UG seems to do, but i just can't stay motivated enough, i play for half an hour, think i've been playing for ages look at the clock an then realise i should play for another half an hour at least, but then it feels like a chore and i give up.

Guitar is just boring to me now, i don't learn anything knew, i forgot everything i used to know, i've wrote about 3 songs in 4 years, and they all sucked.

I try watching videos of good guitarists but it just makes me feel worse because i'm a million miles away from way they are and i'm not getting any better.
Need.New.Sig.
I play 1 hour at a time usually two or three times a day. That's when i really get down to Business and Just focus on Guitar. i just randomly go into my room close the dour this is when i really to scales theory i have a stack of stuff i start at the top and work my way Down usually go over the time by 5or 6 min. I dont count writing songs and riffs as practise.

this helps me to get motivated. always when I'm watching TV i have my Guitare next to me. when the commercials stat Ill start playing whatever scales a favored song anything this usually helped me to start a practise session.