hey ive been playing guitar seriously for like 2 years selftaught. and i made the mistake of not learning harmonics. any help or advice on harmonics or an easy way to learn and use them? THANX!
um put ur finger above the fret on the string (not pressing) and pluck the string
ull get a harmonic (try the 12th fret of any string)
my rig
Squire strat affinity series, chrome red
Fender jazz bass, sunburst
custom made bass, natural (forget who made it)
Roland jazz chorus 50
Boss DS-1 distortion pedal
and I only use purple dunlop tortex picks
Quote by jonny and tom
um put ur finger above the fret on the string (not pressing) and pluck the string
ull get a harmonic (try the 12th fret of any string)

yeah, the easiest places are the 5, 7, 12, 15, 17 frets
the lesser known of the 4
if you practice for about a month, you could probably get a harmonic off every fret... at least i think so
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
lol im not gonna repeat on how to do it. just listen to "jonny and tom"
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
you can also get artificial harmonics by with ur pick hand hit the string lightly after u pick over the center of ur pickups
Christian
following up on what mellowyellow said..

it makes a "squeal" kind of sound, which can really add an awesome sound while soloing, but that takes more time than regular harmonics.

Artifical Harmonics are more commonly known as "pinch harmonics" on account that your fingers are in a "pinching" form and you kinda do that to the string.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
ok, any suggestions on which songs i can learn to practice pinch and artiffical harmonix?
i also recommend having a good setup. Having a good amp always helps. I was trying for ages to do pinch harmonic on my crappy little amp i had and barely got a good squeal consistently but when upgraded i was able to hit them more consistently.
Quote by backinblue52
ok, any suggestions on which songs i can learn to practice pinch and artiffical harmonix?

Lots of Black Label Society and Pantera. Zakk Wylde and Dimebag are renowned pinchers. Listen to Cemetary Gates by Pantera. The heavy riff with all the squeals? Those are pinch harmonics.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Ok, um..basically choke down on the pick so that your thumbs basically right on the bottom edge, then when u pluck the string brush ur thumb on the string right after u pick it.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
you can do tapped harmonics-put an e chord shape down for example and tap frets 12,14,14,13,12,12,12

Lil Jack Horny by Extreme is a great example of this
I read something decent on here about how harmonics are just subdivisions of the fretboard and la de dah. The thing that always baffled me was how to take care of the Pinch Harmonics and allow them to take whatever tone you wanted, but eh, the strong tones are the 1-3-5(of whatever note your left hand is holding) in Pitch harmonics, beyond that the 7th will show up, but you have to be much more precise with it. . . . but yeah.
Quote by Mahavishnu80
you can do tapped harmonics-put an e chord shape down for example and tap frets 12,14,14,13,12,12,12

Lil Jack Horny by Extreme is a great example of this

How do u do a tapped harmonic, i can do pinch's and naturals but never heard of a tapped harmonic. o and satriani11 its not always the rig i have a lil 10watt(to poor to buy nething else) and i use pinch harmonics alot playing pantera and CoB. sometimes if u have a wierd shaped pick that can make it harder if u do the thumb over the side way
Follow The Reaper
Tapped harmonics are in theory the same as natural harmonics, you hold a note, for example, like a G on your high E, then hit the note with your plectrum(pick) then tap the 15th fret on the High E string and it will create a tapped harmonic. . . .
erg, I thought I should add, rather than edit, tap it with your pick hand:P