Well this bass looks cool.

But thats no reason to really get it. (I bought a Bc rich warlock like a noob once)

But i want to know what you think of the quality. I looked on all the internet sites of reviews and stuff, and they say its pretty good. Its got like a 9. someting rating. Some claim it is as good as more expensive $800 guitars. But is that just bull ****?

What do you guys think, is it low intermediate? High intermediate? Or good enough to do semi-pro gigs?

Let me know of your experience. I am thinking of buying one. (Yes i know to try it out first and see how i like it, but want peer advice)

Thanks for reading

All I know is that the Gibson version can be seen on pros quite easily (ex: Shavo). Don't have any experience with the Epiphone version but I agree it looks cool.
do some research. the T-bird is not a popular bass for a reason. Epi or Gibson, the design, although cool, is not prefered by most pro musicians that could afford anything. Gibson rules the guitar world. Fender and their copies, i.e. G&L, Musicman, Sadowski, and Warwick, dominate the"Pro" Bass world, for reasons other than looks.
the opinion is my own. (Flame Away)
The headstock is heavy and you have to hold the neck up, so it's kinda annoying. Also, anything past the 13th fret is pretty much impossible to reach.

Soundwise, it's pretty good and growly.
The thunderbird, epiphone or gibson. isn't a paticularly bad bass. but it is let down by a few problems, for example, both the gibson and epiphone model are neck heavy, though this can be countered somewhat by a good strap. they also really have 'the thunderbird' sound, which is a very deep growly sound. If you're looking for that sound, great. otherwise you won't be able to get anything else out of the t-bird.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
i have an epi thinderbird but mine the custom shop white its an amazing bass and it does have that growl that you look for in a great rock bass ya its neck heavy but a good strap and a little muscle counters that
Epiphone Custom Shop Thunderbird IV-->Cry Baby 105Q bass wah-->MXR blowtorch bass distortion-->Ampeg B2R Head and 2x12 cab
yea, like everyone said, its neck heavy and the higher register frets are a pain to reach. i honestly think a p bass has a much better "growl" tone, but to each his own.

one other thing that angered me, im not sure if it was just that it was an epiphone or what, but one of the t-birds i played only had 19 frets. that just wont do.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I like the Thunderbird. It's loud as hell, and has lots of ROAR when it plays. HIgher fret action isn't easy, and the neck is heavy. But I love it. As I do the Warlock/Mockingbird bass, I don't know why they get such a bad rap...
i heard its E was really quiet, it doesnt have a good thump
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
i have an Epiphone gothic thunderbird and the pros and cons ussually cancell eachother out such as Heavy neck is cancelled out by Good tone and so on but the cons that u should be aware of neck heavy and also soemthing i found out resently that when i try to go high up on the fret board the design kind of screws you over its a pain to reach up to 16-17-18-19-20 standing up which is fine is you dont always do but ive foudn myself to do this recently. i would look at better basses liek washburns or something (and i almost made the noob desision of getting a bc rich)
Quote by Charlatan_001
Also, anything past the 13th fret is pretty much impossible to reach.

Thats what your picking hand is for...
I tried one out at a guitar store here and found that it did not respond well. The bass was quite boring, lacking any oomph. Whether that was a product of it being a second hand bass or the pups or anything else I do not know.
yeah i sat down in a guitar store with one. it was pretty akward feeling, the pick guard also kinda gets in the way of plucking the G string. also it felt weird sitting down with it. a very heavy bass, you could rock it pretty hard. i didnt get a chance to plug it in though, so im no help with the sound(:
Im also considering getting one. We play alot of overdrive bass, is it a good idea?
Quote by ARCtrooper225
Is there much of a difference between the Epiphone, Gibson, or Gibson studio in tone? (I know the Gibson is a neck-thru and the Epiphone is a bolt-on)

well, they have a similar tone, but the gibson does it 'better' if you understand what I mean? it's a bit confusing, but the best way to see is try them both side my side and you'll understand what i'm on about.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by ARCtrooper225
Is there much of a difference between the Epiphone, Gibson, or Gibson studio in tone? (I know the Gibson is a neck-thru and the Epiphone is a bolt-on)

I've yet to experience any difference...
i would consider it decent, but since it is hard to get to the upper frets it lost points in my book, and i really didnt like how thick the neck was, i'm use to much slender necks like Ibanez's neck. it would be a fun bass to just thrash around with on stage, but yea
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
I was thinking of going for this bass pretty soon.
Does the lack of accessibility further up the neck just come from the design?

?I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.?

?There is a fine line between genius and insanity, and I have crossed it?but which side I am on, is still unclear.?

Quote by ARCtrooper225
Can you get a Gibson custom made especially for you like fenders?
i.e. a T-bird with my exact specs (string spacing, tuners, strings, inlays, knobs, bridge, wood, paintjob, etc.)

no sadly, I would of got one.

On another not, The neck isn't too heavy(actullay not at all). And the fet prob it goes up to 20 frets, bet prettymuch playable to the 17-18 range.
Quote by metaljunkie
i would consider it decent, but since it is hard to get to the upper frets it lost points in my book, and i really didnt like how thick the neck was, i'm use to much slender necks like Ibanez's neck. it would be a fun bass to just thrash around with on stage, but yea

what the heck are you talking about!!??!?! The Gibson neck is 1.5 in at neck and 2 in at 12th fret, thats pretty thin.
i kbow about the neck heavy problem my mate has an epiphone T-bird and it is neck heavy as ****, what makes it worse is he uses a smooth nylon strap so if u dont hold the neck it goes into the floor or bench or table and so on. i think i good way to get around it is gettin a wooven strap, or mite the "octopus" thing work?? i saw one in the shops, maybe
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
When I was looking around for my first bass, the Tbird naturally seemed appealing with its looks and since some of my faves have played them (John Entwistle, Adam Clayton, Nikki Sixx), however no local store in my area had them in stock, also I read a lot of mixed reviews about the Epi Tbird (along with the gibbo).
Considering id have to order the base and the tbird hardshell case with it, I wasn't going to risk having it ordered at the shop without having tried it out first. In the end I decided to try out the Fender Pbass and Jbass, and WHAMMO Im absolutley in love with my MIM Jazz, and would really like to get either and Aerodyne or Jbass 24 fret one.

A lot of kids who want to get into bass these days always ask about the tbird cause "OMG LOOKS SO COOL!" and they'd be right, however I keep hearing some people saying its a solid bass, and others saying its muddy and mediocre. Either way know that you get a tbird for the heavy tbird sound, not to noodle around with the tone like you can with a Jbass, Soundgear, Stingray etc etc.

Also the "neck heavy" problem has nothing to do with the neck, its actually the design of the bass. Since the weight of the body is disproportionate it tends to do the neckdive, which is why people some say its neck heavy, and some idiots say the headstock is heavy. I honestly dont see a point with it unless you are incredibly weak, if its that much of a problem than move the strap button. However I don't think it should be a major criticism.

EDIT- Gibson's quality control has been going down as of late, and many people have said the Epi tbird is either as good, or even better than the overpriced $1k+ Gibson. If you absolutely must have a tbird, then definately go with the $400 Epi, or better yet look around for a japanese knock-off one, however for convience's sake Epi should be the way to go.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
Last edited by Killibinizik at Sep 2, 2006,