Some of my friends have been playing for 5-10 years and can a hear a song for the first time and play it. How? I've never been so confused in my life. Is it something that comes with time or something you can learn. Cuz that would be sweet.
Signatures are too mainstream
haha man..it just takes time..

But its litereally IMPOSSIBLE to play a song just like the artist wrote or plays it..

Even if you study it for years. Its just how the person plays..

But if you listen enough, you'll be able to spot what notes/chords are being played.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
I find that hard to believe.

Its mostly knowing how to distingish (sp) the key of the song and also knowing how the notes on the fretboard sound. I'd amuse it comes with time.

(^guess)
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
It's all practice dude. If you try to hear out songs more and more and don't use tabs, eventually you'll know how to get all the sounds out of your guitar from experimenting so much. Learn theory too. Theory will help you quickly identify tonality, and knowing scales will help you narrow down the possible notes you could be trying to play.
itll come with time and as you get used to the certain sound and note that a certain fret makes etc.
my gear:
zack wylde les paul custom
randy rhoads v custom
120 watt crate amp
505 zoom processor
ibanez weeping demon wah

"no one you can tell, for youve been raptured to hell"
-me
what ur talking about is called "transcription", which is the art of being able to process and write down and then replay what u hear. there are books on music theory and CDs that can help u to learn it...or if ur broke, google it...
my old guitar teacher could do that, but not instantly. If you play long enough it'll start to happen slowly. I've been playing about 4 years and lately I've been noticing I can do that with much less effort (I still have to hear the song a bunch tho)
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Do black people attract more dust too?
yeah it takes time practice and a lot of theory. It helps if you have good ears too like good relative or perfect pitch type deal. Hard as hell if youre pretty tonedeaf id say impossible.
Damn, I thought this was a thread about improvisation, instead of transcription

My advice is, just try it simple (solo to SMTS or a random punk song with a solo) and keep going for harder stuff! Eventually, you'll learn it.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
one of my dad's friends transcribes all his songs by ear

one time i was at his house and i played 'enter sandman'

after i finished he played it again

instantly

he'd never heard it before

it was my first metallica song and it had taken me weeks to learn it

i was crushed inside. lol
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
As mentioned, it takes practice to be able to hear a song and transcribe it. Theory is definately a big help, but the most important part is ear training. Start trying to learn a 3 chord song by playing along and figuring out what chords are being used.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
One thing to practice is your intervals. Let's say, you're learning a song in E. And there are some chords played during the chorus that you can't quite figure out. If you learn intervals, you can figure this out easily.

An interval is the distance from a note, to another note (really simple definition). Like C to Db is a minor second. Commonly related to the music in Jaws.

See, you can relate intervals to other popular music you've heard in your life to memorize the intervals quickly. Once you've memorized your intervals and what they sound like, you can tell what chord the guitarist has gone to next...by relating it to the last chord.

Another really simple way to do it, is to take out a piano and a cd player. Listen to the song and figure out the chords by simply finding the root to each chord. If you find the root, it'll fit perfectly into the chord. Just play every note in one octave on the piano till you find the root. Do that for every chord played in the song.

Next, figure out the melody. Just listen to the first few seconds of it, try it on your guitar, repeat. Until you've gotten the whole melody done. Trying out different scales helps you too.

Now figuring out solo's is quite annoying. You're going to have to listen and see what kind of scale he's using. Normally in rock and blues, you'll be using a minor pentatonic. So try that out first, then go on to other scales until you find the one that the guitarist is playing. From there, you'll have to listen to it, try it on your guitar, then repeat. Until you're done.

Be sure that when you're done transcribing that you either write it down or really memorize it and get it in your head. Play that song every day afterwards for a couple minutes until you've really memorized it. You should start to get tired of it.....but it'll pay off in the end.

Now remember, the more you transcribe, the better you'll get. Nobody starts out like a pro at transcribing!

Good luck!
well my teacher has been playing for like 15 years atleast and whenever he teaches me a song i want to learn, he just pops in the cd and listens to how its played and figures it out...he can finish a song for me in about a month. (1 lesson per week)
hey yall

ive been playin guitar electric guitar for about a year now. ive been playingg guitar for 3 years. ive started to learn theory through this site and i have finally begun to understand some stuff, but i need to know what should i memorize first. i just need to know - otherwiae im ditchin Ug and getting a teacher,.
Its not too late, its never too late
If you really want to learn theory and stuff, Tonal Harmony, by Stefan Kostka and Dorothy Payne is good, but also, Berklee's modern method for guitar series is great, and I have a book called Jazz Theory by Andrew Jaffe that isn't in print anymore. I would also suggest that you buy little books on the way, like jazz chord books and stuff. . . just to make it easier on you, and also experimentation and lots of practice mixed in with little instructional videos are the way to go. . . I've had instructors but I didn't really learn much with most of them. . . oh and I also have a harpercollins college outline called music theory by George Jones and it has proved useful on more than one level. Yes it is easy to identify the scales they use, and sometimes enharmonic tones can be painful especially amidst a gain drenched solo and with it being played up to time on cd it can be semi baffling at times, but figuring out songs and hearing the chords and the roots of the chords is just a skill that is honed with time and practice.
Quote by notsee
just a skill that is honed with time and practice.

alright, practice makes perfect, im off this computer and im going to practice .peace.
Its not too late, its never too late
i think we told him enough times..enough said, close this thread
^Dude, i so totaly live in Liverpool aswell(Allerton).

Anyway, Some of my brother mates can play a song they've never heard after listening to it twice which i thought was crazy two years ago but now it seems logical.

I subconciosuly do it sometimes, i just play and i suddenly find my self beating out a riff from a TV comercial or something.
Need.New.Sig.
ok how hard exactly are these songs?? your friends could be picking up some greenday or something that is really simple, just slide your finger up the E string while the first chord is being played to find the root, then you can pick up the whole song in a second. but i mean, the only time i can see this as really being hard, is when there is a complex or off beat solo in the song, or if they are using a weird chord.. but most bands just use power chords or bar chords, so no problem dude. usually the second chord is a whole step higher or lower than the first chord. but it all depends on the song.
Hahahaha, just had to say, how about power chords at 300 BPM in 4/4 time mostly based on eighth notes? Hard to get a feel for when the ears are young, or deafening.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris