Well, after spending some time away from the UG forums, I came back today to see what I could find. I came across someone's thread on how they are going to create a traveling guitar (if you read this, just say your name so I can give you credit).

I was thinkin, "Hey, I want one of those". So thats what I'm going to do, I'm gunna build me one of those.

But actually building a guitar from scratch scares me (plus money wouldnt allow it), so I've decided I'm going to mod a Squire which I have just used for painting into a traveling guitar.

Im going to use the neck that comes with it (so I can once again avoid having to make one for myself). I'll put the 6 tuners that used to be on the neck down where the hardtail would go. I'll replace the hardtail with a tune-o-matic, which should save on room plus allow me to send the strings to each of the tuners. I'll cut down the headstock to make it smaller and then use furrules to secure the strings up there. I'll also cut the pickguard up so that it will accomodate the new changes in the body.

I think I've thought of everything, but if I haven't make sure to point it out. Also, if this is just a horrible idea, please tell me before I go off and make a fool of myself.

I think I have some pictures of the guitar which I can mod so I can show you all what I mean.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Member #9 of the Samnung Has Crabs Club , PM Powerhouse to join

Custom Build
Quote by absinthe5765
o0o good idea... I like the way you think.

Tough part is, its more routing and sanding than building your own actual whole body.

Yeah, but I don't have the money to buy the wood to make my own body. Plus, this is a little less daunting, so I'm not going to feel as intimidated.

I made a VERY rough picture of what it is going to look like (my skills at paint are very much lacking).

The crossed out/shaded region shows what parts of the body I will cut out. The little black circles show roughly where I would put the tuners. And the large black bar would be where the tune-o-matic would go.

Now this is all VERY rough, so don't start going "OMG thats sooo ugly". I'm a perfectionist, it better come out nice.

Custom Build
what exactly is a traveling guitar? im interested now.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=518703&index=1
^That's an example of a travelling guitar.

It's basically a full working guitar at about half the size. Perfect if you are going on vacation and can't take your LP or Strat with you.

I'm going to sleep, I am very tired. Hopefully I can work on it tomorrow (I gotta strip all the paint of if) and I will come back with my progress, assuming that I make any.

Custom Build
I think you will have to set the TOM bridge back a little further so it will accomidate the scale length thats already set for the guitar. Plus the pickguard on a Strat would over lap your bridge placement. And my only concern about this is the fact that with what you cut off the body it will make the front basically just the pickguard, as there wont be much room around the outside of the pickguard for the wood to show. But you could always cut the pickguard down some so it just covers the cavities, other wise you wont be able to see the paint on the front, and in my opinion it would look a little funny. Also, traveleing guitars have the headstock removed from them and a wierd style of nut, how are you going to mount the strings if the tuners are behind the bridge, to feed behind the nut and bend over the nut? But good luck with this mod, it seems kind of interesting.
for god's sake, babies die when they hear squire, it's squier
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy

that's a bit of a stretch.
the guitar shop i go to, carlos santana came in and played one of their squires a few years back, and hell, it sounded like santana. he went and bought it.
with that body, its gonna be treble hell
itll be very shrill sounding ill tell you that
strat body with no wood mass near the bridge

if you do end up stringing from the headstock, you'll probly need to shave off some of the wood right behind the headstock so that the strings dont touch the wood going to the ferulles (sp?)
if i can find a pic, ill draw and post what i mean
"what are good intermediate classic rock covers?"
Quote by EZLN libertad
alice in chains, stone temple pilots, led zeppelin, play rock and roll by zeppelin, thatll work well, maybe hendrix
and maybe war by meshuggah

/runs
Quote by seek_&_destroy

Yes most are made out of plywood, mines made out of alder and it plays beautifuly with a Duncan Invader. It stays in tune, the truss is still fine after 5 years of play. They arnt bad guitars, the only people I know that hate them are the ones that have never had one.

EDIT: Sorry seek_&_destroy! God im dumb.
Last edited by absinthe5765 at Aug 3, 2006,
Major Woosh moment for y'all there...

He means that the NAME is Squier, not Squire.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Quote by StaggHound
Major Woosh moment for y'all there...

He means that the NAME is Squier, not Squire.

I feel dumb. I can't believe I messed up the name. Though maybe I've just found the name for this guitar, squire.

Okay, I brainstormed some good ideas last night of how I can shape up the the body to make it look somewhat decent. I also think I solved my painting solution (I don't have access to a sprayer). I think I will try using that brush on laquer and just tint it with pigments from StewMac. But first, does anyone know where to get some brush on laquer? And also, besides a ton of sanding to get rid of brushstrokes, what else would I have to do differently? If anyone has used it before, please tell me how it went.

LuthierofTexas, I don't really want to show off the wood because it is plywood. Not something I'm horribly proud of. Also, I will make sure the TOM is in the right scale lenght, that was just a very rough drawing of how it was going to look.

I'm not to worried about the sound as this is just going to be a traveling guitar. I'll only really use it when I'm on vacation or somewhere where a full sized guitar isnt really practical. I won't be using this on stage or when I'm really trying to impress friends or family.

I think today if I get time, I'll take off all the old paint layers I've put on this thing and finally do some drawing on the body itself.

Custom Build
jeez stop reading btwn the lines ppl but seriously, its SQUIER
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
jeez stop reading btwn the lines ppl but seriously, its SQUIER

I know.

Custom Build
Not meaning to double post, but simply to update you all.

I striped off the paint today, so I will start cutting up the body tomorrow or Monday. I leave for a vacation on tuesday, but I want to get as much as I can done before then.

I don't know where my camera is, so I can't take any pictures.

Custom Build