Now the title may be misleading. I dont mean super fast alternate picking ala zakk wylde and petrucci who use this regularly but rather just your regular solos. I was watching video clips of guys like matt heafy, alexi laiho, synester gates and the nevermore boys and i noticed their picking hand was not going crazy tyring to hit all the notes but rather using an alternate picking method. My question is do most lord shredders use this technique for all their solos regardless of pace or just for quicker ones?
yer but for every single note of soloing they play or just the quicker licks thats what i want to know? Obviously the pro of this is you can play super fast but is it used for every single solo or lick they happen to play?
I've noticed that many do tend to use alternate and economy picking very strictly, since it's very energy efficient, and works well for just about any speed of playing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I dont think having alternate picking as your default style of picking should be limited to shredding/shredders, as it helps everyone, unless your style demands the crunchy sound from the downstrokes (some metal), or the crazy wacky blues picking where you pick however you want, as hard as you want. Its very important that you learn alternate picking though, and it couldnt hurt to know.
Yes. We all alternate pick our lead stuff.

Edit: I'm talking about when we're on one string and not playing legato. We all have our own way to change strings. But we do alternate pick our slow lead stuff.

Rhythm is a different story.
No, guitarist like Synyster and most out there do alot of hammer on and pull offs when their solos are speed they even sweep pick. Its just there style and it sounds good everyone plays different and I alternate pick and do hammer ons/ pull offs whenever it feels right. But on a tab it should tell you when to hammer on and pull off. Now on the slower stuff yes we alternate most of the time.
Alternate picking is the most energy efficient, but if you want you can use whatever method of picking you want to achieve your desired effect, e.g. violent uppicks at a non-shreddy climax.
The above user has physical deformities, which make any crude, sarcastic or offensive comments actually the fault of the threadstarter. Honest.
JmP's Evil Picnic (you know you want to...)
yer well i understand the pros of alternate picking such as lightning quick speed and less strain or pain to create the same notes. I was learning some CoB and a7x and was wondering why i couldnt get the solos together well because the tab did not say alternate or not so im glad i saw the video and help from you guitar cheifs on the board.
if you're playing something by CoB or A7X then you pretty much have no choice but to alternate pick.
Every 'shredder' is different and utilize different techniques in different situations - it completely depends on the passage and desired musical effect... you can't say 'All shredders will alternate pick this piece' - It's not that black & white.

If the situtation calls for alternate picking, alternate picking will be used - there's no pre-requisite technique that all shredders are going to use in a certain situation, there's favourable techniques most of them will use, but every player is different... and then the dynamics the player wants and resonates with comes into the equation.

Your question doesn't have a simple yes or no answer.
It's also a bit rhythm dependend for a lot of players. When you play 16th notes with alternate picking it feels natural to down pick 8th notes. It's a bit like you play notes that don't exist in your mind aswell. Personally I am really strict with alternating. When I play legato between picked notes I continue picking like I picked the legato notes aswell. This really helps me to be able to play the same thing fully picked aswell and add some heavy accents if I want to.
Well theirs no law engraved in stone saying you have to play a certain lead part or rhythm (sp?) alternate picking, just play the parts however you feel best and is more efficient.
u can play alternate picked, but w/e u feel most comfortable with.. i mean corey from trivium can downstrock like 10 notes a second.. not sure if its fast.. but the way i saw him play that.. was nuts!
some economy pick, half-economy pick, alternate pick, use legato alot (hammering onto strings, even before a note's been picked on a string) and etc. But yeah, the key to speed is alternate picking. it doesn't take that much to learn, but it'll take years to frickin master. just learn it, if u haven't already, it'll help you soo much.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes. We all alternate pick our lead stuff.

Edit: I'm talking about when we're on one string and not playing legato. We all have our own way to change strings. But we do alternate pick our slow lead stuff.

Rhythm is a different story.

Not necessarily. Look at gypsy jazz players for example.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
isnt it common sense to use a very low movement alternate picking for shred? i mean if theres like 32 notes in a bar your gonna want as little movement to make it as efficient as possible. Theres no way to play with control at lightning speed unless you make the picking motion as fluent and as efficient as you can (by minimizing distance to the strings, distance your wrist/fingers move, finding the perfect spot to rest your wrist).
Tool kicks ass
I dont know why you guys all stress abotu how to pick. I just do what ever my hand feels best doing. I dont even pay attention to the way i pick. Half the time its alternate the other half im downpicking the whole time. Whats the big deal!!!!!!
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata
Quote by yanksfanwhm
im new to shredding and im wondering wether to use alternate picking or economy

That depends on the passage and your prerogative.

But I think you meant to say... 'Should I practice alternate picking or economy picking?'... to which I would answer: Both.

Quote by seamus90'
I dont know why you guys all stress abotu how to pick. I just do what ever my hand feels best doing. I dont even pay attention to the way i pick. Half the time its alternate the other half im downpicking the whole time. Whats the big deal!!!!!!

'We' or atleast I am aware of the way I'm picking because I have the ambition to play to the best of my ability, and with patience, dedication and pure devotion to my instrument I hope to one day achieve that.

That's the big deal...
Playing the guitar is not about following a strict code of how to do this and how to do that. What separates you from other guitarists is the fact that you can do something they cant. And do it in such a wway that the people remember and think holy **** that guy can play.
-Emiliano Zapata
**** yeah they do, like even with slow songs they do, I DO even, its just a habit you should get into and its stupid not to do it
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by seamus90'
Playing the guitar is not about following a strict code of how to do this and how to do that. What separates you from other guitarists is the fact that you can do something they cant. And do it in such a wway that the people remember and think holy **** that guy can play.

I never said it was and I whole-heartedly agree with you. But that point is irrelevant to this topic.

Someone asks a question, and people answer him based on experience and what has worked for them. No-one is telling anyone to follow a strict code of how to do anything, we're offering advice and information based on experience and in some cases inexperience. They are guidelines for what has worked in the past, what works now and what will work in the future to help that person create and play music to best of their ability.

You are confused and stereotyping 'shredders' into a group - someone who practices technique with full body and mind awareness is not someone who is always going to turn into a wanking machine measuring themselves on the speed the can play.

Every single shredder I know plays from the heart - that technique they practised, that little legato run they concentrated on and that chromatic excercise they repeated 100 times with microscopic awareness is what lets them truly speak from the heart the way they want to.

It's about creating music - I know when I sit down and practice my alternate picking, my string skipping, my legato... when I follow these 'rules' of practicing - I'm doing it because I want to bleed every ounce of my heart & soul intro my instrument, and if that means following those rules, you bet your fucking arse I'm going to follow them.
Quote by satriani11
I was learning some CoB and a7x and was wondering why i couldnt get the solos together well because the tab did not say alternate or not so im glad i saw the video and help from you guitar cheifs on the board.

wtf, you need someone to tell you when to alternate pick or not?
Johnljones7443 you just said what I was thinking.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
i guess than when playing fast they use economy picking.
but when playing normally, i think that everyone uses alternate picking
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Alternate picking is just easier. Once you learn to alternate pick, contsant down-picking really isn't necessary anymore.

Also, Zakk Wylde isn't a "crazy shredder". He's crap.

Quote by urik
i guess than when playing fast they use economy picking.
but when playing normally, i think that everyone uses alternate picking

Economy picking is alternate picking. Once you've learnt to alternate pick it just becomes natural to alternate pick the 'economic' way.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Last edited by Smokey Amp at Aug 14, 2006,
what exactly is economy picking?

Sorry I don't keep up with the terminology much..
Martin D-15 || Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black w/ Gold HW)
Ibanez RG320 (Dark Silver) || Digitech RP50 || Mbox2 || Yamaha HS50M's
Ibanez Smash Box || Danelectro Danecho || Modded Crybaby
Peavey Bandit 112 Transtube
And More!...
where you figure out how to alternate pick so you dont end up up-picking when you're moving down a string, and vice-versa. i just do it automatically without thinking about it cause thats kinda how i made myself do things when i first started. but i can either go alternate all the way or economy.
i can't think of a single talented guitar player that DOESN'T alternate pick at least a bit when they play lead. in almost every situation, it just makes sense. here's the thing to think about though:

it's not strictly up-down-up-down-up-down... the point of alternate picking is to increase your economy of movement, aka how much energy you exert to be able to play your part. it has to do with how something comes across to the listener. a solo played entirely with downstokes would likely sound rushed, or too far behind the beat, or, worst of all, it won't flow at all.
hey jones i didnt mean to hurt your feelings it was early in the mornign and i didnt even remember what the questoin was.
-Emiliano Zapata
Quote by seamus90'
hey jones i didnt mean to hurt your feelings it was early in the mornign and i didnt even remember what the questoin was.

It's cool

Once I start, I can't finish until I've said everything I want to say - which is why my posts always seem like I'm having a go. I wasn't

Dammit! Stop posting. This is ridiculous. We all alternate pick lead stuff on one string unless it is legato. Thread starter, PM me with any more questions you have about picking, lest you get a bunch of stupid responses from a bunch of fucking dolts who don't know what the hell they're talking about (not directed to the smart people, you know who you are).

Now, if someone would like me to post a few examples of alternate picking, sweeping, string skipping, economy picking, legato, and a combination of the techniques, I will do so.

Does anyone have any more useless shit to add to this thread (don't answer that)?
^Ha ha, I'm probably in the 'bunch of fucking dolts' group, so I'll just say I was only responding to other people questions. Stupid or not, I felt compelled to post.

/useless shit.
An advice: never practice the same lick alternate and economy picking. An about what to choose between alternate picking, legato, economy picking, that depend of the tone you want to achieve.