MAn.. I shuffle at the beggining of this song is impossible.. don't get me wrong I can play fast stuff fine and I think I'm a rather fast guitarist it's just I have a problem with THIS song for some reason.. I had no problems with the pride and joy shuffle not that I'm saying it was fast . Anyway, the opening part is that section I can't get.. the rest of the song is easy, the fast parts. I've watched every video of SRV playing it that exists! I just can't seem to make the bass notes stand out.. it sounds all muffled and stuff.. could it be my gear , my amp settings or just me? Please help me out with this, I'm really frustrated.

and if you can play it, mind posting the tab you used?
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
I know what you mean. I have the same damn problem

EDIT: I gave up on it and i just tried it again and ive got. How are you playing it? Like finger postioning, strumming etc.
Last edited by Alex S. at Aug 2, 2006,
It could be that at one time he used as large as 0.018 to 0.074 size strings....this would thicken up the bass. But his gear probably had some part in it too.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
I'm just playing it and trying to mute out the rest with the rest of my left hand.. I'm hitting pretty hard with the pick and I'm raking across the strings to get the sound he gets but the bass still dosn't stand out aganist the raking it sounds muffled

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/stevie_ray_vaughan/rude_mood_tab.htm

I play the intro similar to how that tab suggusts

Alex_s how are you doing it?
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
Last edited by TylerRRR at Aug 2, 2006,
yeah, ive always been drowned out by the muffles and whatnot......i think having the HEAVY strings and alot of bass on the eq is going to help
Signature
also I'm using kinda thick strings.. .11 to .54
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
What Ive noticed to help is using lighter picks. Whenever I use a heavy pick the muffled sound does dround everything else out. But when I use very thin picks I have more control and it gives a nicer sound.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste