I have the chance to trade my Schecter C-1 for an Ibanez RG550EX. I like the Schecter but do not like it enough to keep really. I just bought it because it was a ridiculous deal.

How is the RG550EX? I don't really trust reviews seeing as though they often says MG's are nice.

How is the Tremolo?
TRADE IT !! there's no downside to the RG550, trem is great, except, if that beast is equal trade to your C1, then there's probably something seriously wrong with it. I'd recommend you to check the neck for warpage, and also look out for cracks on the neck joint. If the trem is bad, it can be salvaged/replaced but the most important thing is the neck/body.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
cracks (as long as its just the lacquer) in the neck joint aren't a big deal. go for it.
Was this Ibanez worth anywhere near as much as the C-1 when new? The C-1 classic is $700 new.

This Ibanez is discontinued and the new version of it is the RG2550E Prestige. Back in the old days, its most likely to go in that price range equal to now-$700, probably more. The only problem is that the neck is 1pc maple, so, it has a slight chance of warpage, rather than 3pc. or 5pc neck. The neck is also a Super Wizard, thinnest neck Ibanez had ever made, so test it 1st, it may not be comfortable.

If i were you, i'd trade it but, i couldnt really see or test it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Was worth about $800 back in early 90s.

$300-400 now in good condition. It's a players' guitar, and it's made to last, and it will last. Oh, and it's Japanese. And it's the equivalent of todays' Prestige series. And it whups C-1's ass back to Korea.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
It says in that ad that it was probably made in 2001 but they didn't make them then right?

He also states that it is a 3 pieve neck as opposed to what madpickin said. Could he be talking about a RG350EX?
Whoa, if its the RG350EX, then you're in deep ****

EDIT: Could you try to get the serial number on those so that i could probably identify it?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 2, 2006,
I think 2000 was the last production year for 550s... Not too certain, might want to check the catalogs on http:www.ibanezrules.com.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
You cant tell the model actually, im just trying too see which year its made and where its made in so that i could differenciate whether its RG350EX or RG550EX.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
You can tell by the bridge. A Lo-TRS II from a 2001 RG350 would have the Ibanez logo on the side, while Edge from a 550 wouldn't. Also, 350 wouldn't have a covered cavity for the output jack in the back, while 550 would. 550 is likely to have a maple fretboard, while 350 would not.
I am trying to get some pictures. Hopefully I will check it out soon. The pics and serial number prob won't come in e-mail till tomorow.
^ or that. Another thing is, the RG350 series had gone to some really serious changes starting from its 1st production. The trem has changed a lot. 1st production is Lo-TRS II, then goes to Edge Pro II, and now its an Edge III.

And another easy way to identify it, just see the pickups, it never has actually changed. If its RG550, then it'd have V7,S1,V8 written on them, if it says INF or nothing (PSND) then its the RG350EX. If the shop is trying to con you, then i dunno
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Aug 2, 2006,
He said it was "probably" made in 2001. So it could be older. Were 550EX's ever made with 2 piece super wizard necks?
hmm....i've nvr heard of 2pc. necks...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
hmm....i've nvr heard of 2pc. necks...

Sorry, meant 3 piece. I just typed it wrong.
AFAIK, the Ibanez Super Wizard necks which are produced in the 90s (RG550EX neck) are made from 1pc. maple (accept J-Custom which uses 5pc. maple/walnut). Almost all of the guitars from the Ibanez production in the 90s used 1pc. maple.

Whereas the 3pc. most likely resembles the newer RG350 series.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
That means it's a 1998 model, and thus is not a 350. Seen pictures?
The only pictures are the factory pictures. So what could this be. He says RG550EX but it has a 3 piece neck and is made in 1998. So what could it be?
RG550.

Ask him if the tremelo says Ibanez on the side...
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
550EX isn't in catalogs for anywhere close to that SN#.

So I don't know - don't go for it unless you see it and make sure of what it is. It can't be a 350, since those were never Japanese, but still, don't buy an instrument before at least seeing more than just factory pics of it.
Quote by pifty
550EX isn't in catalogs for anywhere close to that SN#.

So I don't know - don't go for it unless you see it and make sure of what it is. It can't be a 350, since those were never Japanese, but still, don't buy an instrument before at least seeing more than just factory pics of it.

I will be able to see it, but I won't have a clue what it is. I don't know anything about Ibanez models except for the RG shape.
Quote by pifty
You can tell by the bridge. A Lo-TRS II from a 2001 RG350 would have the Ibanez logo on the side, while Edge from a 550 wouldn't. Also, 350 wouldn't have a covered cavity for the output jack in the back, while 550 would. 550 is likely to have a maple fretboard, while 350 would not.

Quote by madpickin03
And another easy way to identify it, just see the pickups, it never has actually changed. If its RG550, then it'd have V7,S1,V8 written on them, if it says INF or nothing (PSND) then its the RG350EX.

Look for those things, even though we've pretty much established it's not a 350, but those signs will give you a clue of what you're dealing with.

Make a checklist.
Its MIJ right? Does it have a pickgaurd? If it does its gotta be either a 550 or 750 or 770.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Quote by ClassicAxe
Its MIJ right? Does it have a pickgaurd? If it does its gotta be either a 550 or 750 or 770.

It does have a pickgaurd and it is MIJ. So no matter what this is a fair trade if it is a 550 750 or 770?
^ Yes, but theres still a possibility it could be a RG450, with a **** trem.

Ask the guy if the tremelo says ibanez on the side....

Like this...

BAD

GOOD
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
Maybe "three piece neck" is a misunderstanding of the skunk stripe at the back of the neck, in that case pieces fit to a 550.

My doubts on 7 series, those are rare and I'd do things for one that I don't want to talk about.

I stumbled apon this, like what you said. 3pc. neck, its an RG550 LTD made in 1998. One more thing, there's a bit of a confusion about the necks, on specs and catalogs in 1997 and previous years. Ibanez never really stressed they use what pcs. of necks after 1997 and they just provide details on the name of the neck, Wizard, Wizard II etcs.

I quote from the 97 catalog, "The RG550 and RG570 are fitted with the original, super thin Wizard neck, now reinforced with bubinga strip for even greater strength". Apparently in 97 Ibanez decided to put "1pc. maple w/ bubinga" on the specs sheet, instead of "3pc. maple/bubinga". Starting from 1998, they no longer stated whether its a 1pc./3pc.

However, there are also some wizard II necks which are made in Japan and equipped in RG2xx/RG3xx/RG4xx and its 1mm thinner than the Korean's Wizard II. You should check the obvious 1st, trems/pickups, provided that they didnt change it, pics would help a lot, and also the possibility of the previous owner changing the neck and using some other body is always there.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic