I'm looking to improve my accuracy/speed.

Anyone know the best way to go about doing this?

I'd like some exercises, perhaps a daily practice routine. If anyone could post exercises, and how long I should be playing them/order, or any other information on how to improve accuracy or speed, that'd be a great help.

And please, no "Dude, just play" posts.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

e------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4---5-4-3-2
b---------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------5-4-3-2
g-----------------------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------------------5-4-3-2
D-------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------5-4-3-2
A--------------1-2-3-4 etc.
E----1-2-3-4

This will get you using all your fingers and will get your speed up. Personally I don't play exercises but whatever
Change is good.
I'd suggest John Petrucci's Rock Discipline.
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
^Is that a DVD or online lesson or something?

I'll certainly check it out.

But yeah, the problem is, I've played the 1234 patterns so many times I can play them really fast and accurately, but I have trouble going 1342 1423 etc..
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Left Hand Permutations.

Make sure you do all of them, and make sure you're using the correct fingering. Also, invest in a Panet Waves GripMaster (about $15), those are great; you can really feel the muscles building.
^I invested in the heavy a little while ago, I'm gonna downgrade to the next lowest though, as I noticed it's a tad bit too hard on my pinky.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

The heavy? As in the black one? Are you sure it isn't the medium red one?
^May I ask how exactly a gripmaster improves your speed? I can see how it would improve finger strength, but speed?

E--1--3-----2--4-----3--5-----4--6-----5--7-----6--8-----8--10------9--11---------------------
B-------2--4-----3--5-----4--6-----5--7-----6--8-----7--9-------9--11------10--12-------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not quite sure who to credit for that one, cos i got shown it a while back, That can be used to help with some speed and accuracy and to make it harder, you could always try it backwards
Quote by Johnljones7443
^May I ask how exactly a gripmaster improves your speed? I can see how it would improve finger strength, but speed?

It builds dexterity as well as strength. Also you can practice fingering practically anywhere, and that helps. Good question.
Quote by sg-rocker173
^Is that a DVD or online lesson or something?

I'll certainly check it out.

But yeah, the problem is, I've played the 1234 patterns so many times I can play them really fast and accurately, but I have trouble going 1342 1423 etc..

You can get Rock Discipline which is a DVD and transcription book combo for $30+, or you can also get Petrucci's book "Wild Stringdom" which includes similar exercises, etc. and costs something like $13...up to you, but either would be a great investment.
Quote by JMack
It builds dexterity as well as strength. Also you can practice fingering practically anywhere, and that helps. Good question.

A Gripmaster will do pretty much zilch for your playing speed.
I'ts moderately useful for building finger strength. But skill trumps
strength ever time. When you build skill, you build efficiency, which translates
into needing less effort to accomplish things.

Threadstarter: Look in the lessons sections or buy a book or two. There's only
a thousand million billion different exercises you could do. No single exercise will
do it all.
Does John Petrucci's Rock Discipline come with a tab book?
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
yea, does the rock discipline come with a tab book ?
i hope it does, im about to order it
Looking for my India/Django.
Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.