Ok i want to concentrate on vibrato for a while, what are the do's and dont's?

right now i try and do it with either my middle or index finger as i have more control, but im really having a hard time feeling fluent at it, are you meant to use your arm or just your finger?
theres different ways im sure with an acoustic you can sometimes even just shake your guitar with your arm.
i think Paul Gilbert says to have your hand against the neck (perpendicular) and when your at w/e fret with w/e finger, keep the hand stiff and use that part where it touches the neck as a pivot, that way you use your whole hand instead of just your fingers.

also, from me, i practice everyhting i can with all my fingers... makes for one less limitation, or in this case.. 3 or 4

imagine, if you could bend or vibrato with just your pinky, you could really f*** s*** up with that pinky
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Quote by Shooshooky
i think Paul Gilbert says to have your hand against the neck (perpendicular) and when your at w/e fret with w/e finger, keep the hand stiff and use that part where it touches the neck as a pivot, that way you use your whole hand instead of just your fingers.

also, from me, i practice everyhting i can with all my fingers... makes for one less limitation, or in this case.. 3 or 4

imagine, if you could bend or vibrato with just your pinky, you could really f*** s*** up with that pinky

I try to incorporate my pinky everywhere I can too I think it's really good to have equally trained fingers
Depends i think theres two kinds really..

Wide vibrato wish was said before, a rapid bend which is like...no more than a quarter step up really...

The second is to wiggle you arm/finger...people sometimes struggle doing this....but there's only a few rules to it...

1. Make sure to use your wrist
2. Make sure to bring your wrist round...similar to a powerchord if you get me
thanks for posts, right now i do the finger wiggle, and it feels wrong.

im trying to just use my wrist, but dont really understand how to do it :S?

i can do it by not having any part of my hand on the back of the neck, and using my arm to push the strings, but not my wrist
Quote by behemoth111
thanks for posts, right now i do the finger wiggle, and it feels wrong.

im trying to just use my wrist, but dont really understand how to do it :S?

i can do it by not having any part of my hand on the back of the neck, and using my arm to push the strings, but not my wrist

Try to relax and just practice turning your wrist left-right (I dunno how to explain, but that move is kinda similar to what you do when you're turning the water-tap ;] ) Then do it with strings, and always try to be relaxed with it.