Page 1 of 4
I'm not a real big fan of this band, but I know a lot of you here are, and I was just listening to the new album and can anyone else here the political overtones?

EDIT: just contributed to another SYG thread x 20.
I actually don't hear any, other than the song "An Old Book Misread". Needless to say, I was quite surprised when I looked at the lyrics. Most of the time, Set Your Goals lyrics tend to be "safe" and wouldn't really offend anyone. But this song is a real rip on organized religion, or Christianity, to be more specific. Even in it's title, the song is refering to the bible and how people interpret it. They even go as far to say that organized religion is man's "worst creation". It is even called "organized crime", presenting the fact that this religion has led to murders, theft, corruption, etc. Another example would be in "my disgust with the way I was almost brought up", showing that he was able to think and make his own decision. Although they do come right out and say that they can respect Christians, they feel that you don't need a religion because it inhibits one's ability to think on their own.

SET YOUR GOALS LYRICS

"An Old Book Misread"

false hope handed down, spun all around,
with ignorance from past generations.
how many times and with how many rhymes?
how many twisted endings for you to realize?
it's not fair for you to say what every heart should pay.
it's another body and soul that isn't your own.
get off my back. this was never salvation for me.
keep it away.
don't feel a thing can't make believe i do.
it's something i don't need.
something that you do and i respect you
turning a page on an old book misread.
twenty something rows back now offer up your souls
at the drop of a single white robe.
all things foretold. do you know what.
mans worst creation has got you in its hold.
i refuse to stand for organized crime.
organized crime comes in more forms than one
and your god is no excoetion.
if i'm not being clear this right
here is about my disgust with the way i was almost brought up.
i'm taking it back, my piece of mind.
we'll leave it at that.
in '83 a lamb was led for many years until its head began to swell.
it did explode with reasons to think on its own.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
yea i never really dug them, to poppy
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
i recently have gotten into them. i really like the new album. i dont know, its just good sing along to me.
they are incredible
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
Quote by pmeg568c
yea i never really dug them, to poppy

They basically are a pop punk band so I can totally understand your reasoning for disliking them.
Quote by JobForACowboy
um, yes it is.

sry if you havent heard of it, death metal bands that wear girl jeans = emodeath
oh man, i got mutiny! what an amazing album. totally suprised and blown away. solid all the way through. i love the whole 'dead man tells no tales' which goes into the title track.

only thing i have to bitch about is that i preferred the demo version of 'this very moment'.
rites of nothing.
Being a Christian that song really pisses me off. And I never get pissed off listening to anti Christian music. Integrity and Haymaker are both pretty anti christian and it never bothers me at all. I guess its because being so poppy and more into being fun I wouldn't expect it so much from these guys. Oh well just me ranting.
Pink the Punk : Trust me, don't shower or shave or anything for a week then go out on the pull with a loincloth and half a dead mammoth over your should. You won't be short of chicks that night

thats why he's the hardcore mod
Quote by emokid182
Being a Christian that song really pisses me off. And I never get pissed off listening to anti Christian music. Integrity and Haymaker are both pretty anti christian and it never bothers me at all. I guess its because being so poppy and more into being fun I wouldn't expect it so much from these guys. Oh well just me ranting.

My feelings exactly. I was actually pretty offended. To bad-mouth religion is one thing, but to call it crime? That's one of those opinions you should keep inside.

I actually found it to be the worst-sounding song on the album anyways, personally.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
Quote by emokid182

yeah same here....i mean i wasnt really like offended but the lyrics just seem ignorant...and it was a dissapointment considering how much im in love with set your goals.....oh well im still in love with syg
Originally posted by thestrumbum
the scream is so powerfull. my balls started two steppin.
The new album "This will Be The Death Of Us" has leaked...
I like what im hearing so far.
Gear

-Ibanez S2170 prestige
-Boss MetalZone Distortion Pedal
-No Named brand 15watt cube practice amp
i saw them last night with fireworks, gravemaker, and the swellers.
them playing so much of the new stuff live made me realize how boring it is.
they started selling the cd's last night, but i didnt grab one because i wasn't impressed.
band hasn't written a good song since like 2005/2006
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Quote by attheian
just played a show with them on Monday. The new cd is good, but definitely not as good as Mutiny.

i was at that show
yeah i've seen them play much better
they played in my friend's backyard last summer and we had like a pool party and an acoustic set
then partied with them for the rest of the night
probably one of the better nights i've had in a long time
Mutiny was incredible.

The new CD... I want to like it so bad. I really want to... but I can't. It's so mediocre. Sososo mediocre. It makes me sad
I play guitar
I really like Mutiny and I like the new one if I completely disregard how terrible 90% of the lyrics are. The Fallen is about the only song that's really good on it.
I'm an asshole.
what song's will they play off the new album at a music festival?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
Mutiny was really good and I found myself liking pretty much every song on the album, but the new album kinda disappointed me. The lyrics are bad, and i didn't find it very appealing just from a musical standpoint either, but The Fallen is pretty good though.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
They did not do much for me live... and their shorter lead singer just pissed me off. A kid got rushed to the hospital after smashing his face off the ground from a stage dive, and the guy laughed while they dragged the kid out and said "casualties of the core"... Maybe it's because I know who the kid is but I thought it was just a douchie thing to say.
Page 1 of 4