Pretty new to guitar and i was wondering what kind of difference there is between the sound of the standard and the quilted top? Are the chrome covered humbuckers really that much better than open coils? I have a Les Paul 100 now and am kind of disappointed in the quality and want to upgrade to something a little nicer. Thanks for the help guys
There is really not much of a differnce. The biggest difference is just looks.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Well that's an Epiphone... so no matter how pretty it is, it won't sound too good.

And as far as I know, the figuring of the top doesn't matter for the sound, as long as it's the same wood (i.e. maple).
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Last edited by OneHappyCamper at Aug 3, 2006,
main difference being the top and both are maple but the quilted has more aesthatics appeal compared against the standard model
Well that's and Epiphone... so no matter how pretty it is, it won't sound too good.

i disagree.
Quote by OneHappyCamper
Well that's and Epiphone... so no matter how pretty it is, it won't sound too good.

epi's are good guitars. they're better quality than a lot of guitars out there. they sound pretty good too.
I'm sorry, I'm a snob.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
I don;t like epi's either... Agiles are much better
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by insanity_101
what guitar do you play?

What do snobs usually play?

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
Quote by OneHappyCamper
What do snobs usually play?

owned...
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
I think with most guitars, the more fancy the grain, be it quilted or flamed dont tend to sound as good as planer topped ones. Ive played and owned loads and the best sounding ones have always been the plane topped one's.
I think is has something to do with the vibration of the wood, the straighter the grain the better the vibration of the wood. If there's loads of flame or quilt it stops the vibrations as much and doesnt resonate as well. Anal I know ! ! ! ! ! but thats the conclusion ive come to.
Quote by Sapple Pass
owned...

Who?

I said I was a snob, and then he asked me what guitar I played, and I responded with a question, answered by the picture of my guitar.
Quote by SleepTalkinMan
epiphones dont really match up with gibsons. i guess he meant that your guitar owns my epi?
maybe the classic because of no pickup covers would sound slightly,slightly higher output.
just a wild guess
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Well that's an Epiphone... so no matter how pretty it is, it won't sound too good.

I would actally agree with this, i regard Epiphones the same as i would Squire...Fender has Squire so Gibson had to have Epiphones, why not just save up the money, and buy a Gibson LP...
squires suck hands down but at least you can get good sounds to come out of a epi with some modification.
just put new pickups in your LP-100 makes world of difference, i know i did it to mine, and also try getting a good amp first , that makes most of the difference
you can get good sounds to come out of a epi with some modification.

I'd rather play a cheaper price, say a mexican strat, with no modification and have a better guitar than any of those epi with some modification at least thats my opinion. I''ve just seen, and have heard a lot of bad things about epi. Thats all.
Quote by insanity_101
epiphones dont really match up with gibsons. i guess he meant that your guitar owns my epi?

yes.
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by marvelboy_04
maybe the classic because of no pickup covers would sound slightly,slightly higher output.
just a wild guess

good guess as well and that slight higher output would mean **** if you eq your amp. and to the guy that would take a mexi strat over an epi with mods well how about this most mexi strats arent the best in the world the neck can be sticky and action all over the place with dings all over the place compared to a epi elitist with new pickups, bridge, tuners, electronics (main point of let down in epi). then which one would you like to choose?