Hey everyone,

I'm after a noise gate and I've been looking around for ages.....

These are the ones I'm after. (I've heard the ISP is much better that any of the others.) Here are the gates and their prices

MXR smart Gate - $350
Rocktron Hush - $130
ISP noise Decimator - $230
Boss NS-2 - $200

Heres the thing - I've seen a Boss NS-2 on ebay for $70! Is it worth getting this second hand Boss unit, or is it better to save up for that ISP?? It's really cheap and its supposed to be pretty good. Will the NS-2 do the job for metal and really high gain music???!!

So please help me ASAP!!! It doesn't have long left!!!

Thanks for all your help!!!

(Sorry for spelling "help" wrong in the title! hahahahahaha)

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Aug 3, 2006,
I just read in a review that it sucks your tone big time!

Is that true, coz I don't want it if its gonna wreck my tone..... My setup doenst have that much tone to begin with!!!

cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
ive heard great things about the isp, and have played it and it's great, The Boss is alright, but the higher the gain, the more the noise. I think that it's worth it to save for the best, rather than piss your cash away on something that your going to eventually replace
The Boss and the MXR both suck tone. I've never tried the Rocktron, but at that price, it can't be too great. The ISP is the only noise gate I've ever played (floor based anyways) that doesn't have any effect on tone. It cuts noise great too. I strongly recommend it over the others.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by NotAJock2Day
I got my ISP for $100 off Music123. Just saying. Get that.

Thanx guys,

I just wanna know - what does the ISP run on? Can it be run on batteries? And what voltage is the adaptor??? Coz I'll have to change it coz I'm in Australia.

so you all think the Boss is a no go???

Cheers,

Dan
Gear List;

Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Anyone who says the Boss sucks your tone has never used one. When used properly it works great and sounds good. Plus it's has an effects loop so you can discriminate which effects you want to gate.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
Anyone who says the Boss sucks your tone has never used one. When used properly it works great and sounds good. Plus it's has an effects loop so you can discriminate which effects you want to gate.

I disagree, because I have used a Boss NS2 and it sterilized my tone slightly. Not a lot, but it took away some of the warmth that my tone had. It also seemed to thin it out a little (not really noticabley, but when I started playing a lead line and kicked it one in the middle of it, I could notice a subtle difference).
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Mudder

Anyone who says the Boss doenst suck tone, doesnt know tone.