There are more bass pedals than what Musiciansfriend or Music123 carry.

And most effects (like compression) will work on both.
haha
First, might I say, nice collection of guitars!

Second, yes, a lot of bassists use effects. If you've ever heard Chris Squire or Juan Alderete, or even Tim Commerford, you could hear the effects. Jaco occasionally used a chorus-delay thing. Cliff used wah and distortion. Geddy Lee uses a ton of compression.

And yes, there are a lot of effects that can be used on both guitar and bass.
i just bought a line 6 bass podxt live, and it is by far the best effect board thing that I have tried. It has a great amount of tones (because you can edit the amp that you play the effect on) and when you hit the stomp, the effect turns on, and its just sweet. It realy helps me put that punch in when i jam

Yes, alot of people do use just the single effect pedals, lots o people have them on here
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
Yeah there are a lot of people that say single effects are better than multi-effects or amp-effects. I'm one of them, but to each his own.
Quote by harl91
i just bought a line 6 bass podxt live, and it is by far the best effect board thing that I have tried. It has a great amount of tones (because you can edit the amp that you play the effect on) and when you hit the stomp, the effect turns on, and its just sweet. It realy helps me put that punch in when i jam

Yes, alot of people do use just the single effect pedals, lots o people have them on here

+1 on the Pod.

and nice P-Bass.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

And most effects (like compression) will work on both.

Compression is not an effect. if you can hear your compressor, it's crap (or you are over compressing) All compression does it stop peaks in your sound and evens it out. An engineer who uses com pression well will make you not even hear it working...

Yes, i know it is called an "effect pedal", but trust me it's not. EQ and compression are not effects...
Im not one for bass effects, maybe a wah or flanger that can funk up the bassline. (think Waiting for an alibi - thin lizzy)

IMO, effects like distortion and overdrive can very easily make the band sound "muddy".

Effects should never ever be used to cover bad playing either.