There seems to be various ways of doing it, ive learnt the "flea" way. This is having your thumb at a right angle to the strings, but ive seen it done with the thumb parallel to the strings. Whats the differences between the two techniques or is it a personal preference?
i do it parallel to the strings, it really bothers me when i see people doing ot the "flea" way with their hand/thumb pointed down, uhhhh!! just thinking about it makes me sick. also with the parallel way, im pretty sure there is more conservation of momentum, and its the only way you would be able to double thumb.

but im not saying doing it the otherway is wrong, if thats how someone else wants to slap, then fine, but it hurts for me to look at it.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
to be honest I think his hair looked awesome long, and he was quite sextastic to be honest... I'd do him

haha, you'd do me....

The Tim Sawyer of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
I slap the Flea way. It's just how my hand naturally positions itself.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
for the flea way, how is the instrument held? cos i do the parallel way, and i hold my bass almost perpendicular to my vertical body. for the flea way, would i have to tilt the instrument so its more like an upright bass?
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
for the flea way, how is the instrument held? cos i do the parallel way, and i hold my bass almost perpendicular to my vertical body. for the flea way, would i have to tilt the instrument so its more like an upright bass?

exactly. flea always plays with neck tilted up about half way (45 degrees).
Personally i find that parrallel to the string is "correct way": easier to slap on more strings, but i tend to fall back to the 'Flea' technique when i'm slapping the E string.

I think that parrallel to the string is the better way to do it, usually ends up cleaner and kind of sounds better (a little). Also the day that i get a 5 string ( I've some waiting to do), it'll make slapping a ****load easier on the E string.
It also depends on how high your strap is. If you're like Paul McCartney height then parallel is easier, and the further down you go the easier it is to do it the other way. I do 'Flea' style, but I'm not out to set the world on fire with my super fast and complex slap riffs.

On another note, does anyone else pop with their index finger, like me?
I play it the flea way and pick with my middle finger. I find it most comfortable that way :stickpoke

Edit: mainly because I haven't had lesson's, I have just learnt by watching flea
Last edited by Flea_Is_God at Aug 5, 2006,
Quote by fleaflicker182
It also depends on how high your strap is. If you're like Paul McCartney height then parallel is easier, and the further down you go the easier it is to do it the other way. I do 'Flea' style, but I'm not out to set the world on fire with my super fast and complex slap riffs.

On another note, does anyone else pop with their index finger, like me?

i was under the strong impression that most people pop with their index. other fingers just seem too long for me, so its awkward.
i need to get a better signature.
I use index and middle, alernating.. i figured it's good to get both fingerings working...
Quote by Applehead
I use index and middle, alernating.. i figured it's good to get both fingerings working...

I'm learning "nobody wierd like me" at the moment and it felt kinda natural alternating
Quote by fleaflicker182

I found that....try slapping paralell with a strap thats lower than your chest. Flea style lets u slap even when the bass is at your knees.

Although i can see the point about a 5 string, less string spacing so the emphasis is on accuracy and paralell slapping is more accurate.