So, my bass teacher has let me borrow his old rack case, one that he says has been laying around his house collecting dust...He says if I can make use of it then he'll sell it to me for cheap or trade for something of mine, its a custom made rack from Calzone, 4 spaces i think...It looks really sturdy and whatnot but I cant figure out how to get my amp mounted into it...My amp is a Hartke HA3000 with the little handles on the front...heres a link
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=17&brandID=3
as you can see it has the handles on the front but it doesnt have the four screw holes that allow it to be rackmounted, like this ampeg, i think those are the rack ears
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ampeg-B2RE-Rack-Bass-Head?sku=481491

So my question is, is my amp not rackmountable?
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Aug 3, 2006,
You need rack ears. Unfortunately I couldn't find any quickly on Google.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
yeah, thanks anyways...

I have been looking on google and Talkbass for a while...this is what I found
http://www.starcase.com/rack_19_inch_cantilever_shelf_details.htm
This would work right?...the dimensions are very close to the dimensions of my amp, its a bit deeper than the amp but thats ok i think.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
this shelf would hold your amp, but it would not secure it to the rack case. the amp would be free to move around inside the rack case, defeating the purpose of a rack mount system. perhaps Hartke makes bolt on rack ears for your amp. why a company would put rack handles on the face of an amp, and not provide rack ears is crazy. good luck, my friend.
That shelf does have lips on the front and back, so it might be able to prevent the head from falling out of the case. Unfortunately, it probably won't provide such a snug fit that the head doesn't bounce around when it's being moved.

Are there holes on the side of the amp near the front that look like they could be used to fasten rack ears on? If so, you might be able to make your own with a drill and some length of a 90 degree angled bar. If you're lucky the holes on something like McMaster-Carr #8968K22 might line up (www.mcmaster.com)
- That's one of my own!
Last edited by Junkstuff1 at Aug 4, 2006,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
this shelf would hold your amp, but it would not secure it to the rack case. the amp would be free to move around inside the rack case, defeating the purpose of a rack mount system. perhaps Hartke makes bolt on rack ears for your amp. why a company would put rack handles on the face of an amp, and not provide rack ears is crazy. good luck, my friend.

thanks for that, but the first place I looked was the Hartke main website and I contacted Sam Ash and other Hartke dealers and I asked if they had any rackmount kits or rack ears for this head and as I far as I can tell no such thing exists ...and I think the shelf could work if I drill holes through it and line up the holes with the screws that the Hartke has on the bottom...and the sides too...so the amp could be fastened down to the shelf...Would that work?

And thanks junkstuff, I'll look into that, my amp does have holes on the sides some w/ and some w/out screws drilled in...I thought they were the screws that held the rack handles in place but I took em out and they're not...so all I need to do is drill/line up the holes right?...what thickness/length should I get the angled bars?...The rack is 19" long and the Hartke head is about 17 and 5/8 inches...its 2RU high, thats 3.5 inches right?...in order to fit the rack the leg length should be about 5/16 of an inch...i dont think they have that size...i'll just go with the next best size and hope it works out, and I'll have to cut the bar to length because they only sell em in 3 or 6 feet high....
thanks again...

BTW another rack question, when you place your rack on top of you're cabinet, do you usually have a lot of rattling from the rack?...i was playing with my amp head inside of the rack that was on top of my 2x12 and I heard a bunch of rattling coming from the metal fasteners on the rack...Can this be stopped or is this the downside of having a rack?...I dont play all that loud (300W amp at half volume) so the rattling is noticeable...
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Aug 4, 2006,
Racks are made to stop the rattling, and should not happen. If the rack is really used up, or unbalanced, then it is possible that it will start rattling. My GK is very unbalanced. The side that the amplifier and the voicing filter is on, is almost twice as heavy as the side with the EQ and bi-amping features. If you add up a lot of uneven rack peices, it will become unbalanced. Some people prefer to put the rack on the ground next to the amp.

Another thing you are going to want to watch out for, is whether or not your amp has a cooling fan, and if that is blocked by the rack or not. That could cause overheating, which is never a good thing. I don't have very much experience with racks, but a few of my friends have destroyed their amps by covering the cooling fan.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Amps designed for rack use will have the fan in the back. And when it comes to rattling, Ive put an old polishing cloth between my tuner and amp.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by metalstillsucks
Amps designed for rack use will have the fan in the back. And when it comes to rattling, Ive put an old polishing cloth between my tuner and amp.

My GK comes stock with rack ears and yet it has a fan on the top. If you put it on the top of the rack and leave some breathing room, it will be fine.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
i use a SKB, 4-space rack. my Ampeg amp takes up the bottom two spaces, while the Korg DTR-1 (digital tuner rackmnt) takes up the top space. so far i have left the space in between, empty. i would like to put a Furman Power Conditioner(rack-mountable power strip) in that space, but i'm in no hurry.
as far as rattles, there are none. the latches on my case are on the covers. there are no moving parts on the case, and i keep all the screws in the rack, tight. it has a large front cover and a smaller rear cover. my fan is mounted on the rear of the amp so, cooling has not been an issue.

securing you're amp to the shelf using the foot screws should work fine, but be sure to use large washers or some other reinforcment to prevent the screws from being pulled through the holes in the shelf.

i love my rack case. when i pack up to leave i simply roll up the cords, including surge protector power strip, pack them into the back of the case, throw on the front and back covers, then i'm outta there. it has two large handles on either side of the case.
i carry it like a briefcase (a heavy briefcase). the amp is over 4 years old and has no visable signs of wear. protect you're investment.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Aug 6, 2006,
That's a good idea you had, drilling holes in the bottom of the shelf. Be sure that the lips on the shelf don't interfere with any of the controls on the amp. Maybe you could bend the lip away if necessary. However, it might not be such a good idea - the material on that shelf doesn't look very thick, and it may bend very easily.

If you're considering making your own rack ears:
The rack ears on my power amp, which weighs 23 pounds, are about 1/8" thick. That will probably be good even for a heavier amp, but scale up a bit if you'd like. Just make sure that the legs aren't so thick that they won't fit between the head and the case. As for leg length, I'd expect you to need about 3/4" with a 17 5/8" width head. I don't think you'd be able to do anything with 5/16". The rack ears on my power amp are almost exactly 1".
You might want to go with a regular, unperforated angle, like #8968K11 (again, www.mcmaster.com), just because I wouldn't expect the holes to line up. At first I was afraid that the radii at the ends of those (it looks kind of like a quarter-circle instead of a square at the ends of the "L") would interfere, but I actually saw some of that same stuff yesterday and the radii were really only a small part of the length. You could even cut it off if you have a hacksaw.

Do you have access to tools? All you'd need to be sure that a 1/8" thick, 1" leg length piece would work is a hacksaw and a drill with the right sized bit. Oh yeah, and mounting hardware.

Kinda ridiculous to buy 3 ft for just 7 inches, but it's only $8-10.

You're sure there are holes on the side that you could use to attach the rack ears?
- That's one of my own!
^awesome, thats all the info I need to order my angled bar thing, I think...and yes I do have access to tools, my dad has been in construction for decades and he's done pretty much everything from electrical to wood and metal working, laying tiles, etc, so yea he's got plenty of saws and drills, I'm sure I could find the right one to use...I'm not exactly sure what you meant about the radii and when you said I'd need mounting hardware but I think i can manage with the info you've provided thus far...

also, the head does have screws on the sides that will allow rack ears to be screwed on...I'll have to measure though, to see if the 1" leg length will reach them though...I'll take pics though...of the amp and the rack because I want you guys to see it...the construction is weird, I think, the rack has the metal fasteners on the middle part - not on the detachable parts - and this causes a lot of noise when I play loud...lots of rattling...

I still havent decided on buying/trading for the rack yet, I want to know if I can stop the rattling though because I dont want a noisy rack just to have a rack...Anyone know any ways to stop the rattling before I post pics?...I want to solve this problem before I decide to make the rack ears...

I'll have pics by tommorow hopefully.
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Aug 6, 2006,