I've been playing guitar for about 2.5 years. Lately I go on youtube and watch lessons and stuff and just watch kids play there guitar. These kid's are 16 - 17 and they are shredding and have been playing for the same amount of time that I have. and I notice, they are using alternate picking and frequently using there pinkie. Where I live I had no one to teach me. So these whole 2.5 years i've been using my pointer, middle, and ring finger and that's it. I have also just been playing with downstrokes. Recently i've been working my pinkie and alternate picking. What would you do in my situation? I want to be able to actually play the metal song's that I like in a year or two. Using my pinkie and alternate picking, I feel like i'm starting the guitar over. Should I keep using my pinkie and alternate picking? Or just go with the style i've had for years?

Btw I'm 15. I play an Epiphone Les Paul studio through a Kustom Dual 35 DFX combo/ practice amp.
Just practice doing the stuff you want to do, alternate picking, using your pinkie, then you'll eventually pick it up. And some people are just fast learners.

Don't worry, we were all there at some point.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30