i think its the blue voodoo, i think i saw him using it on the G3 '05 video, but i just want to make sure. he probably uses a bunch of different ones, but im thinkinng of saving (a lot) up for a blue voodoo, and im just checking to see if he uses them.
Steve Vai does NOT use a crate. Never has! Never will. Awful amps (i know i used to own one).
He has used Carvin amps throughout his career. He's their main endorser. He has a signature Carvin Legacy Amp. Hes also used Marshall JCMs
ok yeah i just checked on his website, and he has that carvin legacy you're talking about. do you guys know what a good semi-affordable yet high end tube amp is?
the carvin legacy
or the MTS series by carvin.

what do you mean by "semi-affordable"?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
The legacy is probably one of the most affordable tube amps. Mesa Boogies new will run $1,200 up. Peavey has the Valve king which is $500, XXX $800+, 6505 $1,100. The carvin V3 for $950 is probably the best tube amp for the money.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
The legacy is probably one of the most affordable tube amps. Mesa Boogies new will run $1,200 up. Peavey has the Valve king which is $500, XXX $800+, 6505 $1,100. The carvin V3 for $950 is probably the best tube amp for the money.

I aboslutely agree, My V3 is very very good for the price. Not only that but its tone can range from SRV to metallica. Very versitile.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by ClayJohnson
I aboslutely agree, My V3 is very very good for the price. Not only that but its tone can range from SRV to metallica. Very versitile.

As soon as the sellers feedback goes away for my mesa boogie, its going on ebay and i'm getting a V3. I paid way less than what everyone is buying em for, it never hurts to make a profit.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
nice, maybe ill get a V3. i have a solid state crate right now, and im evolving into a tone freak, which usually means spending $$$$$. but im guessing that a carvin V3 is the way to go.....but i still want that 350 watts of INSANITY that the blue voodoo has. if i want power i guess i could just get a marshall mode four
im pretty sure its a Carvin Legacy
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by nxtvanhalen
nice, maybe ill get a V3. i have a solid state crate right now, and im evolving into a tone freak, which usually means spending $$$$$. but im guessing that a carvin V3 is the way to go.....but i still want that 350 watts of INSANITY that the blue voodoo has. if i want power i guess i could just get a marshall mode four

Tone freak is a good thing. I think you should look at some Laney amps. Their clean channels are really nice, but I'm getting an overdrive pedal because their dirty channel is too fuzzy. At least my Pro-tube AOR series is. But the cleean is amazing. Bright AND varm.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
Tone freak is a good thing. I think you should look at some Laney amps. Their clean channels are really nice, but I'm getting an overdrive pedal because their dirty channel is too fuzzy. At least my Pro-tube AOR series is. But the cleean is amazing. Bright AND varm.

Do you work for laney? JK
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Hey not all Crates suck. I agree that most of their solid states are bad but their tubes are pretty good (I know I own one). Also it depends on what you play. Crate tubes are pretty much for classic rock, blues, and jazz not for someone like steve vai who plays metal...
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

Member of the left-handed club (but I play right-handed)!
yeah im the kind of person who keeps bumping up the distortion until it wont go farther, and the i buy a super overdrive, which sounds louder when im not playing then when i am (casue of all the annoying hissing it makes. i guees i should have used it for the clean channel...) but i just cant get enough distortion sometimes, i need MORE! yeah... anyway....

i m obsessed with metal. except for nu metal like korn. and screamo death metal with people from finland or some other nordic country who sound like they just ate a bowl of nails.
Get a Mesa Boogie I went with a friend who tried it out and that double recitifier is amazing
My Rig
USA Fender Stratocaster
Gibson ES335
Martin D16GT
Martin LXM
Squier Stratocaster
Santa Rosa Cuatro
Dunlop Wah
Marshall MG15
Marshall MS2
Crate Palomino V32

Member of the left-handed club (but I play right-handed)!
Quote by JP51
Get a Mesa Boogie I went with a friend who tried it out and that double recitifier is amazing

are you serious?? they way overpriced! and u should sell ur marshall mg and some of ur gear and get a better amp lol
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
He endorses and claims to use the newer V3's, BUT, there is alot of speculation that he's still using the X100B's.
I dont think he ever used the MTS series??? I may be wrong on that.
Quote by nxtvanhalen
im evolving into a tone freak

if i want power i guess i could just get a marshall mode four

If you're a tone freak you'll stay way the hell away from the Mode Four.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Vai doesn't use Crate. The blue voodoo you saw was Dave Weiner's.

Since 2000, Vai's been using his Legacy (obviously; it's his signature). Before that it was usually his Esctacy and sometimes his Egnater. Before that he (which was in the late 80's) he played with Marshall super leads.
Bleh.

Member #3 of the I Am Canadian Club, pm colen or Mantiscabinet to join
Member #3 of the Necrophagist worshippers pm night_lights to join
Member #2 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo
i think he once used a bogner ecstacy too
Go get your shovel.
Last edited by SynGates7X at Aug 3, 2006,
On the crossroads movie he had an old school carvin.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio