Poll: Floyd or Hard tail best tuning stability
Poll Options
View poll results: Floyd or Hard tail best tuning stability
hardtail
8 67%
floyd rose trem
4 33%
Voters: 12.
I have heard Floyds are able to stay in tune for months at a time with regular use. But, hardtail to. Which can acctually stay in to the best for the most amount of time? and what about a normal hardtail vs a string through body guitar? which kind of hard tial is better string through body or normal?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Hardtails go directly into the body, no springs or anything so there isn't a chance of any movement at all from the bridge. A floyds springs will stretch, it being metal, millionths of an inch constantly, and will eventually go out of tune.

With grover tuners, my explorer will stay in tune for weeks and only be a few cents lower than standard, and thats including playing it, bends, and bumping it on stuff.

A string through body has more sustain than a hardtail, but no difference in tuning stability really.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
On a hardtail guitar it's not so much the bridge that determines if the guitar stays in tune for a long time, the tuning pegs play the most important role in this (AFAIK)! Having locking tuners will make your guitar stay in tune much better than having non-locking tuners.

Floyds usually stay in tune very well, but keep in mind that there is a difference between an official floyd rose and a licenced floyd rose. Not all the licenced floyds are bad but some are!

So:
Hardtail + locking tuners: Stays in tune very good
Hardtail + non-locking tuners: Doesn't stay in tune very good.
Official Floyd Rose (with ofcourse a locking nut!): Stays in tune very good
Licenced Floyd Rose (also with locking nut ofcourse ): Could stay in tune very good, or not so good.
Quote by Dardarian
So:
Hardtail + locking tuners: Stays in tune very good
Hardtail + non-locking tuners: Doesn't stay in tune very good.
Official Floyd Rose (with ofcourse a locking nut!): Stays in tune very good
Licenced Floyd Rose (also with locking nut ofcourse ): Could stay in tune very good, or not so good.

Id disagree with "Hardtail + non-locking tuners: Doesn't stay in tune very good." Gibson uses Grovers and Klusen tuners, neither are locking but the tuning stability is amazing.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Do locking tuners come standerd on some guitars?like schecter c1 classic...do they have locking tuners?
Quote by MESAexplorer
Id disagree with "Hardtail + non-locking tuners: Doesn't stay in tune very good." Gibson uses Grovers and Klusen tuners, neither are locking but the tuning stability is amazing.

Yeah you're right I kinda chose the wrong words to explain what I meant (English isn't my first language) I meant to say that in general non-locking tuners don't hold tune as good as locking tuners, but non-locking tuners don't nescesarily hold tune very bad or anything..
First of all: No guitar can stay in tune for a month. I had an LTD with OFR and the longest it stayed in tune was 12 hours. Perfect tune. My Gibson Les Paul Classic stays in tune for about 2 hours with hard playing. Also, the thickerr strings the better tunning stability.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Dardarian
Yeah you're right I kinda chose the wrong words to explain what I meant (English isn't my first language) I meant to say that in general non-locking tuners don't hold tune as good as locking tuners, but non-locking tuners don't nescesarily hold tune very bad or anything..

Ah yes, i agree with you there.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Muppet
First of all: No guitar can stay in tune for a month. I had an LTD with OFR and the longest it stayed in tune was 12 hours. Perfect tune. My Gibson Les Paul Classic stays in tune for about 2 hours with hard playing. Also, the thickerr strings the better tunning stability.

^^do you rape your guitar or somethig when you're playing???
how old are your strings?
Last edited by 666_Belial at Aug 3, 2006,
Guitar tunings slip because of all things. Even added body heat, if you are playing a show with a lot of people at it can cause strings to expand and cause tuning slips. Sooooo pretty much your guitar is never in perfect tune, but the amount of slipppage is so small your brain cant decipher a change. And I prefer hardtails for tuning stability.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
Quote by Muppet

Well, last time when classicaxe brags about his "GODLY" OFR he says his stay intune PERFECTLY for months atleast when daily dive bombs.
Gear:
Black Jackson Dinky 2
Peavey Envoy 110
and that's it.
Ok, So than whats better tuning stability an OFR or a hardtail. Both the same guitar. the hardtail has locking tuners.

Say I had a hardtail gibson for tuning stability what would be better to add a locking nut(without the FL bridge) or just locking tuners?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...