Page 1 of 2
UPDATE: I accidently posted this in the songwriting forum, so here it is in its place.

Anyways the point of this post was to see what band or bands you all think have the best songwriting based on: uniqueness,rythm, and any technicalitys. Mine are Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. I'll post some examples of why, once this gets moving. Share away!
People think im insane becuase i am frowning all the time.
----------------

Member of the Radiohead Fan Club
Quote by Gregray88
metallica, trivium,children of bodom

Cool, i agree with metallica, im a big fan. In fact, im wearing a Master Of Puppets tee right now. Are there any specific albums,songs ,ect. that you feel are a good example(s) of why you think this?
Same for trivium and children of bodom. Ive never heard there stuff so im interested.
----------------

led zeppelin wrote some amazing songs and even though im gonna get flamed to **** for this blink 182 wroter simple catchy riffs good catchy lyrics and their drummer is insane so id say blink
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
Quote by wellthen
led zeppelin wrote some amazing songs and even though im gonna get flamed to **** for this blink 182 wroter simple catchy riffs good catchy lyrics and their drummer is insane so id say blink

Well i wont flame you for that. Although i dont like Blink 182, or much mainstream, you have your opinion, and im interested in why you think that.
----------------

i agree blink 182 need a little bit of credit for some of the songs they wrote. However it did say based on uniqueness, rhythm and technicality, which blink 182 had **** all of.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
Quote by batiosilver08
Well i wont flame you for that. Although i dont like Blink 182, or much mainstream, you have your opinion, and im interested in why you think that.

thanks man
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
Quote by Gregray88
metallica, trivium,children of bodom

Yes sir, and i would add Nirvana
DragonForce for uniqueness, its like ur listening to an 80's racing video game soundtrack
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
No Problem wellthen. Hey! a fellow Canadian
I would also like to add Audioslave. Although not nearly as good as some of the others, and fewer "great" songs writing wise in my opinion, i think some are awesome, for example, "like a stone" has some great lyrics.

Originally Posted by pawnluv
DragonForce for uniqueness, its like ur listening to an 80's racing video game soundtrack

Lol, nice i gotta hear that , any song suggestions?
----------------

Last edited by batiosilver08 at Aug 3, 2006,
Pink Floyd...

On account of their insanely amazing solos in which nobody had ever done before..

And their lyrics.. Dark Side was songs about everyday things and the irony of each song made it famous. Kinda funny..
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
Queen. so unigue, catchy and creativity
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
Quote by batiosilver08

Dude, you have a Pink Floyd avatar and you just said you listened to Metallica.

I think bands that don't show off their talent in every song tend to be better songwriters, because they focus completely on the sound and not the solo or something. Not saying a crazy solo makes a bad song though.
Opeth do really well, as do Tool. Dead Soul Tribe are a pretty great songwriting band.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by hardrock1315

What the hell does that have to do with anything?
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Pink Floyd, Tool, Agalloch, Porcupine Tree...
Quote by hardrock1315
wow. no way. people have wide tastes in music now? ****. OFF.

v EDIT: apologies if Abe is right!
Last edited by Alucard II at Aug 8, 2006,
^I don't think thats what he meant. I think it was that he commented that he didn't like much mainstream music, but whoever you quoted believed those to be mainstream bands and that was the point he was making.

Mind you, I'd agree with what you said if thats how I interpreted what he said, I can't stand people who only listen to one kind of music, I think they're boring and narrowminded.

Anyway, based on songwriting?? Oasis and Bob Marley and the Wailers. Purely for their positivity in the face of adversity. All of their instrumentation and melodies fit the songs and the moods so greatly. They just write the sort of thing that appeals to me.

Then theres Jeff Buckley and Radiohead. Fantastic ability that went down so well on record. Fantastically emotional and moving songwriting that I love to bits.
Last edited by Abe at Aug 8, 2006,
Radiohead again. Possibly the most unique band of the past 20 years.
Smashing Pumpkins. Both their early and late... they made the same kind of progression as Radiohead in their evolution from guitar-based rock to experimental electronica-influenced madness.
The Smiths for their lyrical prowess and Johnny Marrs guitar playing.

Sigur Rós write some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Draken
Radiohead, The Pixies, Sigur Ros, Placaebo and Muse.

+1 on Muse And Add Pink Floyd!
(oh yeah,Its Placebo...not placaebo)

To me,Lyricly,You Cant Beat Pink Floyd,all Inspiring lyrics that tell the truth

In terms of music,I can Say Metallica and Guns n Roses,All theyre sogns are catchy and nice to listen to...Even solos from songs like Paradise city can be followed easily
<<<yes,GnR makes me to this

(dont flame me for what im about to say,I beg of you)
I also like punk like Greenday and Certain alternative music like Fall Out Boy,not my favs,but theyre good...
No rly?

Ya rly.
Tool
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Bright Eyes for sure. I've never heard anything like it and probably never will. Great lyrics with smooth, soft chords. Unique voice. I like it.
Beatles of coarse are the geniuses of songwriting. Morisson/ Krieger of the Doors were also amazing Morrison for lyrics Krieger Melody. Zeppelin to Simple riffs equal awsome riffs. Pink Floyd had a really good talent of being able to express their emotins and feelings into music with metaphors and other comparisons so they are good in that sence. As for modern day bands i think wolfmother deserves alot of credit ( of which they usually get none)
the other colour
Quote by lateraluspiral
What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Quote by Alucard II
wow. no way. people have wide tastes in music now? ****. OFF.

I was just saying that the bands he listens to are just as mainstream as Blink-182. I actually like both of those bands, but I didn't claim not to like mainstream stuff.
Unique: The Fiery Furnaces

Best: depends on my mood. Sometimes Tool, sometime Dresden Dolls, sometimes Pink Floyd, sometimes RHCP, sometimes Elliott Smith (see Alice, i can spell it right if I try ), sometimes... aw you get the point by now.
incubus. amazing ability to create songs. the lyrics, brandon's voice and the way all the instruments fit together so well.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
Pink Floyd

Beyond the reach of god they are better than who ever comes 2nd, which personal opinion is Bob Dylan
Quote by akack
We beat you 6-0 you stupid mother ****er.

"Nobody likes an unkempt shrubbery - The monty Python appreciation society"
Quote by Guns_41
Beatles of coarse are the geniuses of songwriting. Morisson/ Krieger of the Doors were also amazing Morrison for lyrics Krieger Melody. Zeppelin to Simple riffs equal awsome riffs. Pink Floyd had a really good talent of being able to express their emotins and feelings into music with metaphors and other comparisons so they are good in that sence. As for modern day bands i think wolfmother deserves alot of credit ( of which they usually get none)

ill agree w/ u there dude, wolfmother is truly an awesome band and they get called posers because they play with a classic style. I think its awesome and i think all u emo ****ers who are dissing wolfmother should j/ kool off because what your listening to are poems about dyeing and **** . I mean wheres the tallent in that? I thought i would also add that Chris Cornell has some pretty powerfull songwriting.
Oasis,The Jam and Paul Weller as a solo artist. The Streets (Mike Skinner) write some of the best songs too. Songs for all occasions.

I'll get flamed for the streets no doubt but I don't care. There is more to music than guitar based stuff. But guitar music is numero uno!

Graham Coxon is an incredible guitarist who writes great songs too.

And the Coral are amazing in their musical diversty and songrwriting skill.
Mudvayne no doubt, Look at all the good songs they have wrote: Death Blooms, World so cold, Forget to remember, Silenced, The End of all things to come, Shadow of a man,etc.
Quote by Caustic
Radiohead again. Possibly the most unique band of the past 20 years.
Smashing Pumpkins. Both their early and late... they made the same kind of progression as Radiohead in their evolution from guitar-based rock to experimental electronica-influenced madness.
The Smiths for their lyrical prowess and Johnny Marrs guitar playing.

Sigur Rós write some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard.

yeah those guys rule, cept i dont really enjoy sigur ros from what i've heard, and i keep accidentally calling them sugar ros. but to add what to what you said about radiohead and to paraphrase what some critic somewhere said, they understand that the more weird stuff you want to do to a song, the better the song has to be to survive it. radiohead does not take ****ty songs and try to make them listenable by at least putting something "innovative" in them. their innovation is on top of already phenomenal songs that can withstand the unorthodox medium that is radiohead.

and billy corgan of sp is maybe the best individual songwriter of the 90s. my other favorite songwritiers from that era are much more of a band effort (pearl jam, radiohead, and especially rhcp).

but on an overall note, you have to know this is coming: the beatles. by far. to be perfectly honest, if i could chose between having the music of the beatles vs all other rock music combined, i'd almost certainly choose the beatles.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Last edited by sirpsycho85 at Aug 21, 2006,
I'd say the Allman Brothers Band is one of the best. The 3 big songwriters in the band (Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, and Warren Haynes) have all written amazing material. Gregg wrote Melissa, Midnight Rider, and Whipping Post, Dickey wrote Revival, Ramblin' Man and Seven Turns, and Warren wrote Soulshine (my favorite song, btw), and co-wrote Old Before My Time, and Rocking Horse.
I Would have to say the best song writing band is definitely Nirvana or Yes
I Took on The Whole World! Fight with the Young Girls!DIE TRAGEDY! DIE TRAGEDY!
Quote by Black Hole Sun
Opeth do really well, as do Tool. Dead Soul Tribe are a pretty great songwriting band.

YESS tool has amazing lyrics, and so do opeth, as well as zeppelin and floyd which many people have already recognised
in terms of jsut straight forward songwriting i think:
elliot smith, sufjan stevens, brighteyes, iron and wine, etc...

and in a more music focused songwriting i think:
radiohead, the beatles, the velvet underground, john frusciante, the pixies, sonic youth, the cure, the mars volta, at the drive in, jeff buckley
I'd say...

Bon Jovi
Gun's N' Roses
The Offspring
Bruce Springsteen
Follow the path, back to your people!
Sytstem of a Down

and

Metallica
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
President of the "You Can't Join My Club" Club...So don't PM me to join
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFDFEFRFKFFF
That was black for "Ban me, ban me."
The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Stars
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Page 1 of 2