Ok I know this is a stupid question but I am worried I am doing barre chords wrongly.
I can get the chords to ring out clearly (except for dominant 7th) but I have my index finger positioned so that the low E string is barred just at the bottom of the nail, with the rest of the finger sticking up above the fretboard.

I thought this was ok all the time I have been practicing but recently I have read and seen pictures on the internet saying that you should position your finger so that it does not stick out above the fretboard.

Is this important and is it what is stopping me from getting dominant 7th chords to ring out properly?
try doing the barre chord like john frusciante?? he frets the root note with his thumb and then u can move your fingers more freely that way..
Quote by Nitro285
Ok I know this is a stupid question but I am worried I am doing barre chords wrongly. I can get the chords to ring out clearly (except for dominant 7th) but I have my index finger positioned so that the low E string is barred just at the bottom of the nail, with the rest of the finger sticking up above the fretboard. I thought this was ok all the time I have been practicing but recently I have read and seen pictures on the internet saying that you should position your finger so that it does not stick out above the fretboard. Is this important and is it what is stopping me from getting dominant 7th chords to ring out properly?
I've been playing barre chords exactly the way you do for over 40 years. This technique works just fine. Without seeing your hand I obviously can't tell you what's causing your problem with dom7 chords. I can tell you, however, that your problem has nothing to do with playing barre chords with the tip of your index finger extended beyond the edge of the fretboard.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
I don't see any problem with it.

Perhaps try to rotate your index finger a little bit, so you can find your sweet spot in which the dom7 notes all ring?
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje