Hi,

Can you guys suggest some bluesy scales, like something you'd hear from Rory Gallagher or Clapton, etc.

Thanks.

*Edit*

Excluding Major/Minor Pentantonic & Blues Scale. (Forgot to add that).
lol, I was about to say... the Blues Scale? =P
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by private
Mixolydian over I

x2

And the blues scale of course.

Clapton I think used to either combine the Mixolydian or the Pentatonic Major with the Pentatonic Minor
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Mixolydian over a dom7 chord.
Dorian over a dom7 chord, to create the nice #9 note
Bending/sliding
Vibrato
Phrasing! Tbfh, blues is ALL about phrasing.

Mixing those up is godly.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
clappo played alot of minor scales over major progression which sounded dark..
Quote by joshsirjoshules
Once again...it's the NME, they're notorious for being dumbasses. I know that, and I live in Texas for Christ's sake!

"If you think you've got it, shove it out, run it up the flagpole, and see who salutes it."
Quote by rock_guitargod
clappo played alot of minor scales over major progression which sounded dark..

Actually, Mr.Clap played a combination of the major and minor pentatonic scale. The key to his solos is how smoothly he transitions from one to the other.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
A lot of bluesers like the use the Dorian mode with added tones. I have a lot of comments I will make that will start out as "something I learned from a professor" so, to cut to the chase, Blues is less about the scales you use and more about your articulations. For example, instead of playing in order through scale on the pentatonic A-C-D-E-G(taken from the D and G string(frets 5-7)) instead of playing it boring and straight through, play the A-C-D, then bend up a major second and tap a minor 3rd higher, plus prebends are really good for bluesy music, just as long as you do bends correctly, that is where most of your good pentatonic bluesy licks are. Another example, more common in blues is say take a D on your B string, position 2(fret 15) then bend it up to an E and then catch the P4th of the D right below it whenever you get it up to the pitch of an E, then fall back down to your D and hit a vibrato. . . . hope this is useful, even though it is pretty general, and I don't have much to do with the clap. . .
Does Clapton use Phrygian alot?? I know he uses it in the 'Layla' unplugged solo..but does he use it alot other than that??

*sorry to hijack a thread*
Quote by Slash Jr.
Does Clapton use Phrygian alot?? I know he uses it in the 'Layla' unplugged solo..but does he use it alot other than that??

*sorry to hijack a thread*

It's already answered in this thread. Clapton combines the major and minor pentatonic.

Btw, I don't recall him using phrygian in Layla?
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
^I don't think he does... he uses D Blues with some slight references to D Dorian as far as I can remember. (Which isn't very far)
Hmm yes, I just listened to the cd again, and I hear a blues scale, which probably be D Blues then Also, I don't hear any Dorian notes in it?
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
^There's definitely a slight reference to something other than Dm blues... chords are C - Bb - Dm (V-IV-VI) in F Major... perhaps he makes slight references to F Ionian - it's definitely not ALL Dm blues.
Hmm, I'd rather call it D Minor than, not F Major

Plus, that would explain the sadness of the song, because it's the saddest of all keys..
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
^I'm not doubting you, I'd call it D Minor... but in parts of it my ear leans towards splashes of F Major... he sticks one or two E notes somewhere in there after the descending pentatonic run (near the beginning of the solo) - which I guess you could call an added second, but it's also the 7th of F Major... I don't know, when that part kicks my ears just perceive it as slightly leaning toward F Major... then he arpeggiates a Dm and leans back into Dm. But those passing seconds give me the major vibe

Btw, the chord game's dying
In total guitar magazine a while ago, they showed a fretboard diagram progression for blues that started with just the minor pentatonic, then they added the flat 5th note, then the major pentatonic notes(the higher ones), then the myxolidian mode, then another mode which i can't remember and then a major/minor 3rd(which might have been taken up by one of the modes anyway)

Anyway, by the end of it, there were a lot of notes on the board which you could play over a blues progression so remember, it's not just allways a pentatonic scale that sounds good, experiment with different notes over different chords and you'll build up a backlouge of memories of what sounds good and what doesn't.
Need.New.Sig.
Edit: To John

Hmm, but still.. If there's a Dminor chord with an added E over it, I'd call it Dmin(9), and not Fmaj13. Also, Dmin(9) would be the way I'd probably hear it. I don't know, I just listened to the solo for the first time in months, and my hearing is not that good, so I could be wrong

Yes, Mr. Suck should give us the answer
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje