Hey guys,

i been throwing this idea around in my hear for a while - basicly about the Boss GT-8 and the Pod XT. i might get one but i dont know which is better or what to play them through e.g speakers or a insainly clean amp.

I intent to try them both at the shop some time in the next week or so but i wanted some opinions on things like how much variety they offer oposed to eachother and what one sounds better if theres a realy big differnce. also what would the wah effects be like with the expression pedal and the whammy if there is one
( i would get a floor controler with the podxt or just get the xt live).

there both more or less the same price (GT-8 vs Pod live)

now, what to play them through. i am of the opinion that it would be better through speakers rather than an MG or a TSL - am i wrong. what sort of speakers would be best - im talking not the massive 350 watters but something a little more
"more than one perosn in the house friendly" and i dont know what speakers would use the standard jack inputs.

so:
POD (xt or live) vs Boss GT-8?

expression effects ?

Speakers ?

**EDIT: i play rock/metal/some clean stuff

thanx for any help guys
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Last edited by Alex2zulu at Aug 3, 2006,
I don't mean to be a douche, but holy hell, do a search. There are 3-4 of these threads a week.

Edit: I guess you're not asking exactly the same thing, but doing a search would still benefit.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Quote by Zeppelin256
I don't mean to be a douche, but holy hell, do a search. There are 3-4 of these threads a week.

Edit: I guess you're not asking exactly the same thing, but doing a search would still benefit.

......humor me - all the threads i find on this say

"theres so many threads on this do a surch"

if theres any just link me and dont bitch please, thank you
I suggest the Podxt Live. I have a podxt bean and I run it through headphones, and it sounds great. Plus the Podxt Live doesnt sound as digital, it comes with a synth FX pack, and the version 3 update you can get online and install onto your pod via USB has 7 new wah models and a whammy. The podxt is DEFINETELY worth getting.

EDIT: Since you're deciding between the Podxt and the Podxt live, I'd get the live as it has much more features.

Read about it here:

http://line6.com/podxt
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
gt-8 thru the effects return of a tube amp will get you the best tone. the only thing the line 6 is good for is digital recording and even then most gear hounds will be able to notice that it's digital. however i've had many many guitar players fooled into thinking i was running a dual rectifier when all i had was my gt-8 thru my hot rod deluxe's poweramp.
Quote by ihatepigum
gt-8 thru the effects return of a tube amp will get you the best tone. the only thing the line 6 is good for is digital recording and even then most gear hounds will be able to notice that it's digital. however i've had many many guitar players fooled into thinking i was running a dual rectifier when all i had was my gt-8 thru my hot rod deluxe's poweramp.

HAHA-another GT-8/Hot Rod Deluxe user...welcome brother!

As far as the question about speakers...if you want a massive wall of sound, try a Roland KC-350 or 550 if you can afford it. I'm currently trying to save enough cash to buy two kc-350's to complete a live stereo rig.

I picked the GT-8 over the POD because the POD sounded sterile to me...no brilliance. And I was just able to dial in so many more usable tones with the GT-8...try both out and see for yourself.
Apparently it seems that more people prefer the GT-8. I personally don't know as I've never tried it out
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by HeartInACage
Get neither, as both are easily schooled by any quality individual pedal.

Good one, lol.

The GT-8 is just as good as buying 100 dollar individual pedals. The only pedal that you'll probably need to buy might be a wah, but I've never heard the GT-8 wah so.. maybe not.

GT-8 gets my vote.

As far as an amp: If you're using amp/cab modelling and distortion from the GT-8, a nice keyboard/PA would be ideal. You'll need an amp without a preamp in it so it doesn't affect the GT-8's sound. Tech 21 Powerengine doesn't have a preamp, but the newer ones don't have Full Range Flat Response speakers in them, but you could easily swap that out. (A lot of people say that the Tech 21 is still as good without the FRFR speaker, but you judge that.)

EDIT: www.bossgtcentral.com
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language